Charleston SC info

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
I am just doing the preliminary scan of airports, fuel prices and places to stay, not in any particular order.

Looking for recommendations from folks who frequent the local area. Airports I am looking at are KCHS and KJZI. I am going to require ground transportation from Saturday through Monday.

First choice - KCHS - Charleston AFB/International Airport - Airnav comments are very good and Odyssey has car rentals on site. Fuel is high but service sounds great.

KJZI - Charleston Executive- Airnav has good comments, fuel is really high and it seems they have rentals or at least can call for one. I'll have to call and confirm.

Stay downtown. Its really gorgeous. My one time there I stayed at an old hotel that had alternate wine and cheese and cookies. The downtown was really neat. Can't help you any farther than that though, sorry.

We flew to Charleston a few years ago for a long weekend. We went to JZI. Enterprise has cars available there easily and the FBO handles enough of them that they know the process.

Flying-wise it is easy to get in-and-out of.

Driving-wise, it is a ways away from the 'scene' of Charleston, but not far enough to be 'out of the way'.

If you use JZI, make sure to stop at Jack's Cosmic Dogs on the way into town. Definitely worth the stop.

EDIT: Whoops.. I was wrong.. We went to KLRO, not JZI.

Last edited:
I am just doing the preliminary scan of airports, fuel prices and places to stay, not in any particular order.

Looking for recommendations from folks who frequent the local area. Airports I am looking at are KCHS and KJZI. I am going to require ground transportation from Saturday through Monday.

First choice - KCHS - Charleston AFB/International Airport - Airnav comments are very good and Odyssey has car rentals on site. Fuel is high but service sounds great.

KJZI - Charleston Executive- Airnav has good comments, fuel is really high and it seems they have rentals or at least can call for one. I'll have to call and confirm.

IF you are staying on out near North Charleston, Hannahan or the Weapons Station, Moncks Corner may be an option. I have family out there, and while I've flown commercial out there to CHS, and its been years since I rented aircraft from them (Moncks Corner), I remember it as a good experience.

The airport is county owned (Berkeley County) and they can arrange to have a car out there. The FBO has bankers hours though.

If your planning on staying out near the west side/west Ashley then JZI should suffice. Nothing wrong with CHS either.

May I ask.. Business or pleasure?

Thanks everyone for the info......appreciate the help!

This is just a 3 day get-away trip for Mary and I with a chance to catch up with another couple that is flying in.

From these comments, it still looks like CHS is our best bet.
Our leg in will be 265nm on Sunday, so If we leave KEUF with 50 gallons, we will only have to buy ~20 gallons of the high priced stuff for our leg out on Wed.

From these comments, it still looks like CHS is our best bet.
Our leg in will be 265nm on Sunday, so If we leave KEUF with 50 gallons, we will only have to buy ~20 gallons of the high priced stuff for our leg out on Wed.

Bo,

Agree, CHS is the way to go. I will make a stop on the way down and top off in Williamsburg if Mary and I do an overnight friday to visit our friend. Then launch early saturday for Charleston.

If we can't hook up with our friend in Williamsburg then it will be an early morning departure from ILG to ASJ for fuel followed by 2.5 hr leg into CHS.

I flew into KJZI last summer but was staying at Kiawah Island. JZI is south and was more convenient for us. More laid back, nice facility; had the rental car waiting and had a weekend fuel rate. It's a matter of what you want. KCHS would be good if staying in Charleston proper. We were trying to stay out of the big city and get away.

Best,

Dave

Mt Pleasant,SC is a bit sleepy but nice airport if you stay north of town, Isle of Palms etc.

CHS, MKS, LRO, & JZI have or can arrange rental cars. CHS can be busy at times with military and airline traffic, but is close to I-26. MKS and LRO have much less traffic but are further out. JZI has occasional corporate jet traffic. Been in to all of them and it would be a toss up between JZI and MKS as a "favorite". Wife is from the area with family on both sides of town. Summerville use to have an really nice grass strip but that closed when they built DYB.

Last edited:
Back