Charity

I believe charity should be something you are associated with. Money is nice but actions speak louder than checks. I always check the charity guide to see how much charities actually use for their stated purpose. It turns out most charities (especially the new ones) are using 50% or more for overhead.

My list:
Disabled American Veterans
My School
The Marine Corps Foundation
My Church and the Salvation Army where we drive the meals on wheels
Care Assurance System for the Aging (CASA) where I help build handicap ramps

I believe charity should be something you are associated with. Money is nice but actions speak louder than checks.

I'm certainly a believer in actions. That said, both components are really important for charities. No matter what you're doing, there's some level of money involved. Some charities fall more on the need for volunteers and some fall on the side of the need for money. One of our donors said something along the lines of "I really respect what you do. It's not what I do, I write checks." I'm really thankful for people like that, because without that, Cloud Nine would go out of business.

But with that said, I do what I do because, like you, I'd rather be doing the good myself.

Great post @denverpilot
I feel the same way.

My FIL is quite wealthy and he does give to a lot of charities, although the only thing of value I ever got from him was his daughter.

But there are two things about him that really annoy me.

First is although he gives a great deal to charity, he always make sure he gets recognition. He at least gets a plaque in his name at places like the local YMCA or Humane society. More blatantly, he arranges to have his picture in the local paper when he contributes to places like the homeless shelter or when he attends local fund raisers.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and admire his generosity, but the second thing that annoys me is that he is always asking me how much and to whom I have donated, while insinuating that I don't "give back" enough. One night at dinner at my house, he was extolling his donation to the local Museum of Arts and Sciences and in his accusing tone asked if I had given to them. I said no, but I pulled out my phone and pulled up my mobile banking app and showed him where I recently gave an even larger amount to the UCB (United Cerbral Palsy) foundation. I also reminded him that over the years, our veterinary clinic has donated many thousands of dollars worth of time and services to the humane society.

Our SPCA has a big marble bench with a guy's name on it. He used to throw his name around there like the place wouldn't exist without him. When the current manager got his first look at the books, it kinda ****ed him off, turns out the guy only donated $500. My wife and I do better than that by several times and we're pretty broke, and we don't want our name on anything.

The manager won't say but I think he told the guy to get lost, haven't seen him around. $500 was not worth having him talk to employees and volunteers the way he did.

Our SPCA building got built because one guy left enough money in his will to the cat he adopted from us, and we only got a portion of what we were actually supposed to get. That guy was generous.

Last edited:
As I was walking into a local grocery store today I was greeted by some local religious charity shilling ornamental crosses ('tis the season, after all). I politely declined stating (using my standard line...which is true) "I'd love to give to everyone, but I have my charities selected and don't have room for more."

But that wasn't good enough. One of the young ladies manning the "booth" got up and proceeded to follow me into the store...giving me the hard sell as to why she/they were worthy of my money and that I need to support their efforts.

She was completely out of line and I can't believe store owners/managers would allow this, but I digress...

After I had enough of her sh*t, which was about 30 feet past their booth and well into the store, I turned around and said, "look, young lady, I gave up religion for lent in 1978 and never looked back." (Another true statement.)

well, or course that just fired her up more, now she was out to save me! So I turned around, walked out of the store, and bought my groceries elsewhere. She followed me all the way to the car.

Last edited:
Obviously she cares about you!

I’m not a fan of charities setting up in front of stores, even if it’s Girl Scout cookies...thin mints, mmm...

I’d rather make a thoughtful donation than simply drop a dollar in a bucket to avoid the hard sell or attempt at guilting me into anything.

There are seemingly no end to clever scams posing as charities, sometimes wth a play on a recognized name. For insantance one a few years back, something about wounded vets or warriors or brothers. Turned out the head two guys were pocketing the money and it was not going to any vets.
You can check online the exact portion of what they raise actually going to help anyone. It should be 70% of costs or better.

These days I give money more than time, but that's because I don't have any time. I am a big believer in charity. I have one main one I give to, but then try to do other ones where I can. When I get back to the US, I will be flying dogs again since I can fly and give back at the same time.

@denverpilot about that $100...... ;)

Back