Charity event idea...has anyone done anything like this???

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
First let me preface this with a disclaimer: Alcohol was in liberal use when this idea was hatched.....but this morning it still made some sort of sense.

I was at a small gathering last night here of fellow refugees from winter and met a guy who organizes charity fundraisers and we got to talking between mai-tais and stumbled into the idea of an event which combines golf and flying. I can't believe this is an original idea although no one present has ever heard of it.

It would be a four club only best ball for twosomes. But it would be on selected holes at several different courses which would have to be near an airport. The flying part would combine predicting your flight time between stops and then making a spot landing. A minute off ETA or a yard off the designated spot for landing would count as a stroke. Lowest score wins.

Has anyone ever done anything similar???

Nope, that is a first. I really haven't seen too many fund raisers targeted specifically at pilots, though. I guess you could make it kind of a team event and recruit golfers, too.

You'd have to include Butter Valley, 7N8. It IS a golf course! Not to mention a cool little airport. I haven't flown in personally but really want to. It's (I think) 1533x24 paved with a few hundred feet of grass on either end and some on the sides too. It's also kinda hilly.

16891097-26171826.jpg

You can see the golf course on the right side of the runway. It looks from the air like the runway cuts between the front and back 9, but I could be totally wrong. It's right in the middle of the course, though.

You'd have to include Butter Valley, 7N8. It IS a golf course! Not to mention a cool little airport. I haven't flown in personally but really want to. It's (I think) 1533x24 paved with a few hundred feet of grass on either end and some on the sides too. It's also kinda hilly.

16891097-26171826.jpg

You can see the golf course on the right side of the runway. It looks from the air like the runway cuts between the front and back 9, but I could be totally wrong. It's right in the middle of the course, though.

Lots of golf courses border airports around here. Shelter Cove is surrounded by a golf course. Many border them (easy walk); Woodland, Livermore, Auburn and many more. I think there is actually an old thread somewhere about Flyin golf courses.

We have three "performance events" at the Navion flyins technically. One's an all-out speed race where everybody does a straight line race to a distance airport. The winners in each HP class are then handicapped for the race back to the start.

We do the efficiency event where everybody gets topped off prior to takeoff and on landing. The winner is determined by a formula that is a function of elapsed time and fuel burned.

Our final event (this one I won one year) is the proficiency event. Here you flight plan your trip and declare your fuel burn and time enroute in advance. You get one point for every second you are off your eta and each tenth of a gallon off your planned burn. Winners are typically down under 20 points. I managed to win one year with a score of like 35 because the usual winner screwed up pretty badly (came up close to 70).

Back