Charging Iphone on Ipad charger

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
I think I know the answer, but just as a dumb check, that won't hurt anything, the voltages are the same, right?

Yes, regardless of how much current the USB port has available, the device won't take more than it wants. You can also, in fact, charge the iPad with the 5W iPHone charger, it just takes longer. USB is always 5V but the maximum available current varies with the type of USB port it is. Your basic USB 2.0 computer port is good only for 100ma. Some will do 500ma. Dedicated chargers can get up to 5A (25W) in the later forms of the spec.

The first day I got the IPAD I thought the charger connector looked like the Iphone charger. I plugged it in and it worked fine. I even tried the Iphone charger in the Ipad and it worked too, but it seemed to take longer than the official Ipad charger. Plus, since the Ipad Charger module is larger I didn't want to overload the charger so I don't go the other way except in emergency. But that works too.

Yes, the iPad charger is 10W vs. the iPhone charger being... a lot less. iPad sucks down juice.

Some things I've learned from various places, summarized:

- Both chargers can be plugged into either device. No damage. No problems.
- iPhone charger is tiny. iPad charger is big. (ha...)
- iPhone charger will take FOREVER to charge even iPad 1. Use iPhone charger for iPad 2 or worse, 3... you might as well walk away and forget about using the iPad for a while. (GRIN)

Here's where it gets interesting. I plugged new iPad 3 into iPad 1 charger and cable. Seemed faster than iPhone charger, but slower than it should have been. Did some digging and found...

- There are two types of cable that look almost identical for the USB to iPad connection. USE THE ONE THAT CAME WITH THE SPECIFIC IPAD.

Here's why. Numerous reports of iPad 3 charging SLIGHTLY slower with iPad 1 cable or left-over cable from iPhone... unless it's a recent iPhone 4S.

Now... I can't find any Apple docs that support this, but the new "tougher" cable has a longer strain relief on it, and MIGHT... note I say... MIGHT... have some differences in the little resistors they hide inside to signal to the devices that they can dump more power to the iPad 3.

You can see the difference in the USB cables here:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/03...ck-connector-cable-to-be-tougher-and-thinner/

And you can read and decide if you "believe" the charge speed issues with the new vs. old USB cable, here...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3811768?start=30&tstart=0

More objective info is that iPad 3 has a bigger battery to feed the hungry GPU for the nicer screen. It's gonna take a while to charge at 10W. Apparently Apple decided they couldn't go any bigger with the charger. Probably a heat limitation.

Another fairly well confirmed "rumor" is that the iPad 3 will show "100%" charge when it really isn't. This is pretty common with modern Lithium Ion charging control chipsets. It will continue to trickle charge up to a full point which can give an additional 1/2 hour to 1 hour depending on usage and backlight settings (the number one power draw in an iPad) if you leave it on a while after it says "100%".

For even more "confusion" based in reality of charging setups, if you're charging the iPad off of another device... the USB port needs to be able to negotiate and offer 1A of charge current. Apple devices utilize a voltage on the D+ D- pins to negotiate the charging current available. This was done before the USB standards folks caught up to them, and prior to that USB ports could only offer up 500 mA. Later, they could offer up 900 mA if high speed data transfer was going on, and higher if no data being sent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Charging_ports_and_accessory_charging_adapters

The very newest spec is apparently (from that article, I haven't seen any yet) allowing up to 5A total draw, and 1.5A per device.

If you're going to charge iPad, say... in the cockpit... from 12VDC, you need to make sure you're using a charging device that can offer up 1A to that USB cable. There are TONS of USB chargers that say "iPad compatible" and they're not really lying... but they'll only feed 500 mA per the old USB spec. Test after you get any cheapie USB chargers for 12VDC after you get it, and send it back to China if it won't charge the iPad in a reasonable amount of time.

I have an HP laptop from work that will not charge at the higher USB 3.0 specified rates unless an OS with USB 3.0 drivers is up, running, and talking to the ports. If you use the laptop as a charger while it's asleep or shut down, it'll drop to the 500 mA rate. Not great for iPad.

Later model iMac, MacBook Pros and what-not in Apple's lineup use that voltage trick on the data lines to allow a higher rate charge, even when the desk/laptop is asleep or whatever... old machines with USB 2.0 ports may not charge iPad at the highest rate available.

But wait... as the barker says... there's more!

Because of the varying standards, things like built in car iPhone plugs may or may not charge iPad (or iPhone) at higher rates. I have an older GM car adapter hard-wired into one of the XM channels in my Yukon. It adds an even stranger flair to this game... it charges at a fairly low rate, but also to protect itself and the car battery from thermal problems and also from getting sucked dry by iDevices... shuts off the charging circuit every 10 minutes. It charges at a high enough rate through the "real" dock connector it utilizes that an old iPhone 3 would almost get a full charge in that amount of time (about 75%) but an iPhone 4 VZ, not even close. An iPad? Fuggetabout it. The only way to charge the iPad off the truck in my setup, is to keep unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Auto manufacturer's built in cables? It's a crap shoot. Hunt Google for the answer from someone with enough time on their hands to time it. LOL.

In general, iPad 3 is a power hog... but it's manageable. And it helps a lot if you use the right chargers and cables so you're not always in a "I'm behind on charging" eight-ball.

I'm seeing similar run times to the iPad 1 doing things like Foreflight, etc... but that's at half or lower on the screen backlight (similar to what I learned from Kent long ago about iPad 1). Go to full brightness, and any iPad will be dead in just a little over two hours, typically.

Leave it to Nate to provide a nice brief (963 word) answer to the question "can I charge my iPhone with my iPad charger?". :rofl:

That's why we love you!
:yes::yes::yes:

"Yes" would have sufficed, but that was indeed very informative.

Leave it to Nate to provide a nice brief (963 word) answer to the question "can I charge my iPhone with my iPad charger?". :rofl:

That's why we love you!

Ha... Kent's not here to do it. He's off chasing girls (well, one girl) somewhere. :)

They pay me to figure out this crap on servers, I'd rather figure it all out on my toy gadgets. You should see the darn power draw calculations for a rack of HP servers... of course, there's a nice limiting factor on those... you can be lazy and calculate what they'll draw running flat out, and say that's the standard... but no cabinet I've ever installed runs that hard.

There's even BIOS settings now for whether you want the dual power supplies to draw evenly ("Balanced") or to favor Supply 1 or Supply 2 unless there's a failure... all so you can plan your A/B redundant power appropriately.

Or again, you can be lazy and feed both with a Y-cable off the same darn AC plug and do the redundancy between machines, going back and forth between the A/B power sources as you go down the cabinet.

It's gotten ridiculous. The flowchart if you actually engineered to figure out all the options, is huge. And in the end, you just want stuff powered even if one power supply goes dead, and you don't want any breakers to trip. :)

Most phone or USB chargers put out 5V at 0.5 or 1 amp. I do not know what the iPhone requires.

The iPad needs 2.1 amps to charge, that's why the iPad will not charge when connected to you computer, but your iPhone will.

Good grief... is there some defensible reason why Apple can't just use a standard Micro-USB charger like practically every other mobile phone on God's green earth does?

-Rich

Word is the ip5 may be dispensing with the 30 pin plug. It was a legacy plug to be backward compatible with early gen hardware.

Most phone or USB chargers put out 5V at 0.5 or 1 amp. I do not know what the iPhone requires.

The iPad needs 2.1 amps to charge, that's why the iPad will not charge when connected to you computer, but your iPhone will.

It doesn't really "need" 2.1, it'll just take forever without it. ;) It "needs" about 1.0. And you'll be waiting a good long while. ;)

It will even eventually charge on 500 mA. I forget if it even turns on its "charging" indicator at that USB-standard power level, though.

It may just look like its not even charging, but if it's completely shut off, you can see it slowly charge over hours and hours.

As to Bob's question, it's simple... USB (micro or not) was never designed (at first) to provide any more power than 500 mA, without the charging device negotiating with the "host" to request more power.

These devices have batteries that would take more than half a day to charge at that rate. The battery in the new iPad 3 is almost higher capacity than some of my middle technology timeline full PC laptops.

Apple's electrical engineers did the obvious. They changed their USB ports on their desktops and laptops to use a simple voltage-based measurement on two available pins to determine the device's current draw needs (to avoid breaking backward compatibility with other USB devices and the spec) that would work even if the PC was turned off, and they also provided a high-current charger in the box with the iPad. iPhone gets a lower current charger, but same general idea.

These design decisions actually extend back all the way into pre-iPhone days with the iPod which started life when USB 1.0 was still quite popular. They're still using that same dock connector.

Remember, iPhone began life as a good iPod that had a crappy phone. :)

I still drop my iPhone into a wireless remote control dock made by Keyspan that was originally hooked to my living room stereo for the iPod Color... The big hard drive based iPod that would show color photos on a tiny screen if you synced them into it from the PC. The remote even works.

A pretty good testament to the elegance of the connector and protocol design, considering that dock was made for devices built four phones ago and at least five iPods before that. Not many products that manage to re-use a connector like that for nine or ten generations of the product line.

4b94241c-82e9-c70b.jpg

That's why we love you!

Just remember Dilbert and the "That depends" answer from an engineer. Translation: Abandon all hope of a useful answer.

Just kidding: I are one! :D

John

Good grief... is there some defensible reason why Apple can't just use a standard Micro-USB charger like practically every other mobile phone on God's green earth does?

-Rich

Because there are other things on the dock connector than power and USB data unfortunately....it's a shame they can't provide both however..

I'm doomed to carry:

iPad/iPhone/iPod dock-to-usb A cable
USB full size A to micro B for my blackberry and my plantronics BT heaset
USB full size A to mini B for a few other devices I have.

The problem with standards is that there are so darn many to choose form.

Last edited:
AFaIK the iPad will charge faster if it's completely turned off, especially if you're using a 5W (iPhone) charger.

I found it actually does even if it says it doesn't. If I plug my iPad into my computer over night, next morning it's juiced up. I noticed it when I fell asleep during a synch, figured I'd do it real quick then plug it into the wall. Next morning it was full.

Back