Charging for admission to an airshow?

Bob Noel

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Noel
Apparently the Boston Portsmouth airshow this weekend (28 & 29 Aug)
has an admission charge. Maybe I've led a sheltered existence wrt
airshows, having only been to the shows at KBED, but charging admission?

Do other shows charge admission?

Source: http://newenglandairshow.com

While events like Osh and Sun and Fun certainly charge admission, I think they offer a lot more in terms of displays and vendors. 25.00 for general admission and 10.00 to park seems rather top shelf espcially considering that it seems like a lot of their planes on display and the demos are military aircraft and this would fall under the promotion of the military budget. I'll be curious to see how this effects thier attendance. Have they always charged or this new?

I've become a firm believer that the best shows charge admission. How much and whether they charge for parking is open to debate. Charging admission enables the promoters to bring in better acts, more food vendors, and more porta potties. Battle Creek, Janesville, Saint Cloud are three that I know charge admission and three that I will say have very adequate facilities and vendors. The days of huge corporate donations for local airshows may not be over, but they aren't what they used to be. I'd rather pay a few bucks to see something interesting and unique while having a variety of over priced food/beverages to choose from than to see a free airshow which turns into an afternoon nap that leaves me hungry for both food and aviation.

On another note, I've noticed how the big airshow promoters have lowered their accomidation levels to the fly-in audience to abismal levels. No complaints of Battle Creek, but Saint Cloud required prior permision from the airport commitee, limited fly-in aircraft to 20, parked them in the grass, and dis-allowed jets. Last year Janesville parked fly-ins out in an abscure corner of no-where, then used vans to transport people to the show line, crossing runways, having communicate with the tower... what a mess...

With the exception of Reno and Oshkosh I don't pay for airshows. Usually even if it is free if I can't, fly to it, Fly in it or sit in my hanger and watch it I don't go.

Reno has finally out priced me, It costs to much for me any more.

Brian

Most LARGE airshows charge unless they're sponsored by a service. We're doing an itty-bitty one here in Leesburg this year and the amount of preparation and coordination is significant compared to an open house or a fly-in. The acts cost money, the advertising costs money, the crowd control and safety equipment costs money. It's a lot of work to do it right. We've had some good luck with sponsors, so our show is "free" this year.

The only airshows I have been to which didn't charge admission have been military.

I assume the KBED show was sponsored by Hanscom AFB Air Force regs prohibit charging admission (except in the UK).

Military demos often charge for their expenses (the Blue Angels get $6000 per show day cash up front plus security guards, vehicles, and a lot of other support, and even the single-plane teams like the Viper East F-16 demo group charge for some of their expenses), so even those aren't free. Also, while $25 may seem steep, you have to figure that they may not be counting on 10,000 (or 100,000) people showing up, and are dividing their total expenses proportionately.

Military demos often charge for their expenses (the Blue Angels get $6000 per show day cash up front plus security guards, vehicles, and a lot of other support, and even the single-plane teams like the Viper East F-16 demo group charge for some of their expenses), so even those aren't free. Also, while $25 may seem steep, you have to figure that they may not be counting on 10,000 (or 100,000) people showing up, and are dividing their total expenses proportionately.
I wonder what the $6000 would cover? It certainly wouldn't cover operating the aircraft.

Millville, NJ did charge for the airshow.
Omaha- I think is free with free shuttle busses.

The best airshow in this area was always the Sussex Airshow at Sussex Airport. They used to charge ten bucks.
Unfortunately the airport owner got too old to do it anymore.
It's a shame. I miss it.

Earlier this summer there was a big airshow at St Cloud Airport (about 60 miles from Minneapolis) featuring the Blue Angels. When I learned about it I planned to fly up there with a few fellow pilots and watch the show but then I found out they wouldn't allow folks to arrive by airplane! The alternative was a 1 hour drive plus another hour getting into their offsite parking lot and taking a shuttle to the airport so I decided to forget it. But what's the point of having an airshow at an airport if you won't let spectators arrive by airplane???

Earlier this summer there was a big airshow at St Cloud Airport (about 60 miles from Minneapolis) featuring the Blue Angels. When I learned about it I planned to fly up there with a few fellow pilots and watch the show but then I found out they wouldn't allow folks to arrive by airplane! The alternative was a 1 hour drive plus another hour getting into their offsite parking lot and taking a shuttle to the airport so I decided to forget it. But what's the point of having an airshow at an airport if you won't let spectators arrive by airplane???
Sometimes the airport isn't physically big enough to accommodate any transients once all the available parking space has been turned into crowd viewing areas and display parking. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting in before they close for the show and staying until they reopen afterward. All you can do is check ahead of time to see what the options are.

Idaho Falls Id. had an airshow for the first time in years this summer. Blue Angels, Greg Poe, the guy with the twin beech and a few other acts. Tickets were 20 bucks, two day total was in the 60,000 people range. I don't know what the acts charge but I was there a few weeks before the show and the FBO was receiving 38, 55 gal drums of smoke oil and the guy said the promotor had to buy the whole load as a condition for having the show. I went on Sat. I found the airboss freq and he was very professional. The general running of the show was a fiasco. Long lines at the entrance gates, they scanned and seized all food and WATER from the crowd as they entered saying water would be provided and they could buy food at the event. Their act at being greedy bit them in the butt before noon. They ran out of water, people were clearly suffering from that alone. Food vendors were out of food by 1 pm, etc... I was gonna fly in but drove instead. I figured the chaos was iminent so I parked as far away as I could. Good thing as I was out in 5 minutes and headed back home on the interstate. People who parked close to the show were 3-4 hours stuck in a traffic jam.. I am curious as to what acts charge ??? anyone really know the numbers ?

Ps... I was a great show.

Ben.

Sometimes the airport isn't physically big enough to accommodate any transients once all the available parking space has been turned into crowd viewing areas and display parking. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting in before they close for the show and staying until they reopen afterward. All you can do is check ahead of time to see what the options are.

We flew to the Cheyenne airport to watch the Thunderbirds. The only trick was getting in before the TFR closed the airspace. There were only a handful (maybe 6) of GA planes on the ramp for the event. We had to bike all the way across town to watch the show, but it was free.

On another note, I've noticed how the big airshow promoters have lowered their accomidation levels to the fly-in audience to abismal levels. No complaints of Battle Creek, but Saint Cloud required prior permision from the airport commitee, limited fly-in aircraft to 20, parked them in the grass, and dis-allowed jets. Last year Janesville parked fly-ins out in an abscure corner of no-where, then used vans to transport people to the show line, crossing runways, having communicate with the tower... what a mess...

I've only been to Janesville once, mostly due to scheduling conflicts as it is a great show (and benefits an even better cause, the Wisconsin Aviation Academy, which gives free flying lessons to local kids who earn at least a certain GPA in school). Yes, the parking is way far away, and IIRC they closed 18/36 for cars to drive on to their makeshift parking lot - But you got a SHUTTLE? Jeez, we had to walk the whole way over from the FBO across the field. But, no restrictions on flying in except for the TFR which lasted from an hour before until an hour after the airshow.

And, FWIW, I've never gotten into an airshow for free! :dunno:

This is a very big airport which was indeed closed for the airshow but there would have been plenty of time to arrive before the show started at 10AM. I've been there several times and there are acres of asphalt plus lots of grass not counting a big expanse on the west side that's an ANG base (might be some security issues there). The bottom line is the show was put together by an organizer that had absolutely no interest in or knowledge of aviation beyond the fact that airshows attract big crowds (there was a substantial gate fee which I was willing to pay).

The Olympic Air Show at OLM every Father's Day weekend charges admission. I haven't paid yet, but then I volunteer and work the flight line. :D

The only air show that is free in San Diego is at Rob Field in Ocean Beach when Bob flies his model airplane. It is usually an unscheduled event. People like to watch when it crashes. Bobs a crappy pilot. :)

John

$15 this weekend at KBJC - I got a vendor's bracelet this year so I'm going today (manning our booth for the flying club) ... last year was the first year they charged and I opted out ... I guess pilots really are a cheap bunch :)

Depends on the airport layout and if you have the room to leave a runway and ramp open when you've got the rest of the airport set up for the show.

From a static (and now one-time display) pilot's perspective - and flying a fabric covered aircraft to a show, I can assure you that paid crowds tend to behave a LOT better.

Ryan

The only air show that is free in San Diego is at Rob Field in Ocean Beach when Bob flies his model airplane. It is usually an unscheduled event. People like to watch when it crashes. Bobs a crappy pilot. :)

John

I'm surprised the OBTs don't shoot it down....

The Cleveland air show is coming up this weekend. I've been helping out with a local radio show, and the host managed to get me a ride in one of the aerobatic planes so we can talk about it on the show! I'll either end up in one of the Red Eagles' planes or in the Tora 101. I'm supposed to go up Wednesday morning... I'll be sure to write up the whole experience both for you and our listeners.

I flew into the Dayton Air Show once; a real success. The FBO was a few feet from the side gate, and the ladies with me got to hand out in the FBO A/C and use the FBO loo, for which they were quite appreciative. And while everyone else was waiting behind a huge line of cars to leave, I just hopped in my airplane and took off.

I flew into the Dayton Air Show once; a real success. The FBO was a few feet from the side gate, and the ladies with me got to hand out in the FBO A/C and use the FBO loo, for which they were quite appreciative. And while everyone else was waiting behind a huge line of cars to leave, I just hopped in my airplane and took off.

Have done that numerous times where I fly home and am home in time to get the traffic reports on how bad the traffic is leaving the airshow.

When I was in the Army Reserve I frequently worked the recruiting booths. One of the best ones was for the Blue Angels, as they were starting the show the B-52 crew pulled out the ladder and started climbing up on top of the B-52 to watch the show. Since I was in uniform, I asked if I could join them and was invited to watch the show from on top of the B-52. Best seat in the house:)

Of course afterwards I had to follow the B-52 out to the runway, I was flying a C-172. Fortunately the tower asked if I could do an intersection departure which was no problem as the wind was about 25kts down the runway and even from the intersection I probably had 7500 feet of runway:)

Brian

Back