Charging cable for GDL-39?

sourdough44

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
WI Flyer
I have a GDL-39 that works pretty well, Garmin Pilot to IPad Mini. The 110 type home plugin works fine. The lighter receptacle plug in is mostly inop, hardly works even fiddling with everything.

I’m looking at buying a new charging cord for use in the plane. I see el-cheapo one’s on fleabay, then up to close to $50 or more on reputable sites. The Aera 500 series ‘seems’ to share the same cord, though a different part number if one looks at the official cable.

I realize cables vary in quality, sorta like phone charging cables. This is a fairly minor issue, but since I’m not in a hurry, what’s up? I’m thinking the Garmin cable is made in China too? What’s the chance the $50 cable is much better than the $6.95 cable? I could buy 4 or more of the cheapies and go forth.

Has anyone tried a few different types and went back to those sold through Garmin?

I had mine hard-wired. This is the third plane I've done it too... Here's a video on it:

I’ve got to check a few things. I see the GDL doesn’t charge when hot. I’m leaning towards the official Garmin cord.

I never had a battery, just hard wired mine to the aux power breaker on the main bus. Never any problems.

An update, went on a flight to Boscobel, WI today, KOVS, 100LL $4.09. The cable plugged into the lighter socket worked great. I think it was just to hot on the other flight. The manual says it won’t charge with a GDL temp of 40c, which was quite possible.

I also think this cable is an official Garmin, even though it may be from China.

KOVS was just great. They have a new ops building, 2 courtesy vehicles, and all the essentials. Who doesn’t like 5000’ of pavement? It’s less than a potty stop distance from Oshkosh, those coming from the WSW.

Back