Changing Tail Number -- Who Can Remove and Repaint?

WVTexan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
WVTexan
I'm buying an aircraft and I don't like the tail number - it's a mouthful. I want to change it to something simple. I looked up the FAA availability and found a few that I like and the paperwork process seems pretty simple.

Can I just sand down the area where the tail number is, prime and paint to match - then put a new tail-number decal on? Or, is there some process or FAA approval that I need to go through?

Thanks!

I thing he's asking about the process of painting the or craft, not doing the FAA paperwork.

It's my understanding that an owner can paint an aircraft, as long as it's not a control surface that requires balancing. So you should be good to go. I think it's listed in the "owner maintenance" section of the FAR but I'm too lazy to look it up right now...because I'm in the middle of making chocolate ice cream for tomorrow!

Gotta have priorities.

Last edited:
CT4ME -
Thanks. I know it is a few pieces of paper and a trip to the FAA - but I do appreciate the link. Very helpful.

timwinters -
Ice cream sounds great - even though it is snowing here. Anyhow, you are correct. I want to make sure that a simple $10 fee doesn't turn in to me having to take this to a "specialty shop" and spending another $1,000 to get the numbers removed and new ones painted back on. I'll look up the FAR...I'm not making ice cream right now.....

CT4ME -
Thanks. I know it is a few pieces of paper and a trip to the FAA - but I do appreciate the link. .....

You can do it all on line FFA.GOV snoop around you'll find the link.

After you get the new "N" can change the numbers, don't forget the new airworthiness certificate.

Decorative finishes are covered under "preventative maintenance" and can be done by the owner/operator holding at least a private pilot certificate.

You can also contact Bengie Phillips at Speedmaster Signs and get a decal to apply over the old number. Mine's 8 years old and still looks great (a lot better, in fact, than the 35 year old paint it covers). You can see part of it in my avatar.

Address: 1132 13th St, Columbus, GA 31901
Phone:(706) 324-7446

You can also contact Bengie Phillips at Speedmaster Signs and get a decal to apply over the old number. Mine's 8 years old and still looks great (a lot better, in fact, than the 35 year old paint it covers). You can see part of it in my avatar.

They do look good, when you get them on with out wrinkles

You have to go to FSDO to get new Airworthiness Certificate. Very easy to overlook and forget. You're new AC will have an R next to the registration printed - standing for Replacement.

Good guy and a pilot to boot!

Can I just sand down the area where the tail number is, prime and paint to match - then put a new tail-number decal on?
Do not sand down to bare aluminum. The skin is most likely "alclad" - coated with a thin layer of pure aluminum for corrosion protection. Do not sand into that.

If you have the 3" numbers easy paint over the top, if you have the 12" you might look for a paint shop to do it. Depends on how good you are if you mess it up it could cost you more to fix it in the end.

Back