Changing planes

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I'm prepping for my checkride after about 65+ hrs, all in a PA28-161. CFI and I went up for a few hrs in a 172R (also 160HP but fuel injected) a couple of days ago. I wanted to start widening my horizons and have a little fun.

My observations of the differences between the 172 and the Warrior (besides the 13 sumps vs. 3) - I had more trouble holding a straight line during taxi. The rudder response seems much greater during flight. Airplane wanted to scoot off to the left (more torque?) during takeoff roll, much more than the Warrior. Landings were perfect, I couldn't believe it. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the electric flaps just yet. I really like the mixture control.

I realize that some of the differences were simply a matter of me getting used to how the 172 'feels', but I do know that some of the handling is different due to wing-loading, flap style, and others.

Just wondering if anybody else has gone the other direction and what their experiences/opinions are?

Matthew said:
Just wondering if anybody else has gone the other direction and what their experiences/opinions are?

I trained exclusively in a C-152, the progressed to a C-172 once I got my ticket, then to a Warrior/Archer (and for the last 4 years a Grumman). Its been a while, but the Pipers seemed a little more stable to me than the C-172 and a bit bettter in turbulence. Also, I didn't have to use much rudder in turns on the Pipers. I also found their crosswind capabilities more to my liking and I liked the view in the pattern better. All in all, they are very similar and it didn't take long to transition to the Pipers, even after only flying Cessnas. Big differences were fuel system (have to switch tanks in the Pipers) and manual flaps, which I also liked.

They are both simple planes, but I'd suggest you finish your ride first, otherwise you might end up paying a bit too much for that muffler.

Of course, I should say that I switched planes midway. But I stayed in the Cessna family and there were fewer differences (150-172).

Matthew said:
I had more trouble holding a straight line during taxi.

The Piper uses direct linkage from the rudder pedals to the nose wheel, thus very positive feel and control. The Cessnas use bungies (springs) between the pedals and nose wheel, so when you want to steer, you are steering thru rubber bands, if you will. Not as precise, and takes a little practice.

Airplane wanted to scoot off to the left (more torque?) during takeoff roll, much more than the Warrior.

Could have been torque, but more likely steering through the rubber bands, particularly if it veered left early in the takeoff roll.

I agree with the folks above - finish out in the Warrior and then think about a different plane. You and the Warrior fit like a glove (maybe a little loose, but better than a sock!).

I'm not planning on changing planes. It was just unique situation - I had a free afternoon, my CFI had a free afternoon, and a 172 was available. This was a 'day-off' from training and a chance to try something different.

The problem I had with the plane wanting to lurch to the left happened after full throttle, maybe it was the steering differences. Could the fuel injected engine be generating HP quicker than the carb and just be catching me off guard? I dunno, after one or two takeoffs I was expecting it and it wasn't a problem.

Fuel system 'both' setting seemed a no-brainer, also no need to deal with carb heat. How much can these things can lead to complacency?

sure it wasn't wind blowing you? i get pushed a bit by wind in the 152 after about 30kts.

Well Matt, i took my training in Grummans then switched to Cessna's (hated them) then back to Grummans. Now i fly a warrior PA28-161 that i bought and love my Warrior.Guess you could say I'm a Lowwing person. Dave G.

When i went from the 182 to the cherokee i was all over the place while on the ground as well. The direct connection makes everything a bit more touchy but once you get use to it, it is no problem.

When I got checked out in the archer, after training in 172R and 172SP, I found that I floated on landing. That wing down low in ground effect took some time to get used to.

Not as bad as the transition from tricycle to taildragger though!

Jim G

Shipoke said:
Well Matt, i took my training in Grummans then switched to Cessna's (hated them) then back to Grummans. Now i fly a warrior PA28-161 that i bought and love my Warrior.Guess you could say I'm a Lowwing person. Dave G.

Sounds like you should have bought a Cheetah. :)

Hey Dave, how's the Burg? I used to live on 2nd and Herr Sts, then lived in the New Cumberland crash zone, just west of CXY, then outside of Middletown near the pattern of MDT. Hey, this airport thing is a trend. Now I live practically next to APA.

Get any floods in Shipoke lately?

Matthew said:
The problem I had with the plane wanting to lurch to the left happened after full throttle, maybe it was the steering differences. Could the fuel injected engine be generating HP quicker than the carb and just be catching me off guard? I dunno, after one or two takeoffs I was expecting it and it wasn't a problem.
I find that 172s need a fair amount of right rudder to counteract the torque. It's now an ingrained response for me.

Matthew said:
Fuel system 'both' setting seemed a no-brainer, also no need to deal with carb heat. How much can these things can lead to complacency?

You can avoid complacency by always, always, always following a checklist. Once I progressed past my private certificate, procedures and checklist were a way of life. In single pilot IFR, there's no other way... unless you're extremely lucky or don't need to live very long.

Last edited:
Back