Changing N-numbers

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I keep thinking about changing the N-number on my plane. With Nick getting his 'dream' number I have been thinking about it again. How much of a PITA is it to do and are there any real down sides to doing it?

I keep thinking about changing the N-number on my plane. With Nick getting his 'dream' number I have been thinking about it again. How much of a PITA is it to do and are there any real down sides to doing it?

As Nick did, you can reserve the number online, right down to paying the U.S. Treasury with a credit card.

The PITA is that you have to visit a FSDO (or mail, I guess, but that would scare me ta death) to get a new airworthiness certificate showing the new registration number. You surrender your old certificate.

http://www.aopa.org/members/ftmag/article.cfm?article=1320

yabut scott, you cant just do that, you'll have to change your username and then none of us will remember who you are.

Piece of cake. Follow the instructions, work with the FSDO, and no problemo. If you need more details, contact me by email.

BTW, when I checked, and that was 5 years ago, ALL 1 or 2 number, single letter numbers were being used or are reserved. I didn't automate my search but I think I checked several hundred.

BTW, when I checked, and that was 5 years ago, ALL 1 or 2 number, single letter numbers were being used or are reserved. I didn't automate my search but I think I checked several hundred.

I believe civilian aircraft aren't allowed to have these numbers, period.

I also fly N1FC which belonged to an FBO called NIFC.

BTW I understand the process of changing numbers but what are the down sides? Do people think you are trying hide something like damage?

I also fly N1FC which belonged to an FBO called NIFC.

BTW I understand the process of changing numbers but what are the down sides? Do people think you are trying hide something like damage?

Nah. You just can't get "My Grampa flew that plane in....!"

When the FBO found the logbooks for mine lost by the owner 2 previous and 15 years ago, they found me by the serial number. THANKS BE!

My favorite vanity N number story involves an airplane based at KHIO. The owner of this plane wanted a specific number that was already in service on a motor glider. The story is that a significant amount of cash was paid to the motor glider owner to encourage him to get a different number.

In any event, there is a G-V based at Hillsboro near Nike's headquarters that is N1KE.

Jay

Back