Changing my home base

Drop by the office and ask them where they drop. Avoid it. You'll probably find it's on the non-pattern side of the airport.

And of course listen on the radio for when they really drop.

Yup!

And if it's a 182DZ, he's probably a 500hr CPL flying that plane, just FYI.

Here's a little info on the DZ
http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Detailed/577.shtml

So... communicate, "jumpship23A this is bugsmasher34J, I'm 3 to the west 2000' inbound for a left base RWY 01, does that work for your jump run?" Or whatever, just remember all radio work is, is simply a to the point conversation to make sure we're all on the same page :)

If I were you I'd do a few jumps there too, you'll have a blast, might pick up another sport, and it'll change the whole dynamic of that airport for you, between flying the plane and jumping, you might never leave that airport!

Last edited:
As DZs go, they are not that active. Only one 182 so you have 25 minutes between drops and never more than 3 in the air. Keep your second radio on 120.4 so you hear their communication with approach. It's really not an issue to worry about.
Thought they had 2. Till last at least. Anyway, doesn't seem like a huge issue. Will find out soon enough

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just to add to the list. I learned on a 4000 x 75 marginally maintained, one runaway field, uncontrolled. There were somewhat tall trees at one end that tended to make the winds unpredictable. Plus the 2 light VASI had a non standard 4 degree glide path.

What does that all mean? You will be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yup!

And if it's a 182DZ, he's probably a 500hr CPL flying that plane, just FYI.

Here's a little info on the DZ
http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Detailed/577.shtml

So... communicate, "jumpship23A this is bugsmasher34J, I'm 3 to the west 2000' inbound for a left base RWY 01, does that work for your jump run?" Or whatever, just remember all radio work is, is simply a to the point conversation to make sure we're all on the same page :)

If I were you I'd do a few jumps there too, you'll have a blast, might pick up another sport, and it'll change the whole dynamic of that airport for you, between flying the plane and jumping, you might never leave that airport!

I actually did a tandem with them last yr. loved it. may be down the road... donno. I like to stay inside the airplane though.

You're considering Watsonville a small field?

Compared to a Class C Controlled field...which the OP was taking about transition from...Yes, it is small(er). That is the context we were discussing.

Access is easier, movement is easier, community is better, and entering airfield to wheels up is quicker. I did not say it was not busy.

Sorry it does not meet your definition in relation to most Class C's.

Compared to a Class C Controlled field...which the OP was taking about transition from...Yes, it is small(er). That is the context we were discussing.

Access is easier, movement is easier, community is better, and entering airfield to wheels up is quicker. I did not say it was not busy.

Sorry it does not meet your definition in relation to most Class C's.

Class C is defined by service, not operations (at least, not entirely). KVNY and KLGB are both Class D, but see a whole hell of a lot more traffic than KMRY or even KOAK, which are Class C. And it's a whole lot harder to get out of KSQL than KOAK.

And the comparison YOU made was towered vs. nontowered.

Class C is defined by service, not operations (at least, not entirely). KVNY and KLGB are both Class D, but see a whole hell of a lot more traffic than KMRY or even KOAK, which are Class C. And it's a whole lot harder to get out of KSQL than KOAK.

And the comparison YOU made was towered vs. nontowered.

WTF dude? I was sharing my experience of the benefits being based my uncontrolled field vs all the amenities the OP was was leaving behind at his C field and insight he was asking for.

Of course all C's and "Small" field are not created equal. Context and reading comprehension matters. Quit cherry picking individual statements to refute to inflate your ego...it is getting childish.

You really need to get over your almighty self, you really give the aviation community a bad name.

Last edited:
Things will different at this new airport, but you'll get used to them in a short time. No one is going to hold your hand anymore and do everything for you, you'll learn to be more self reliant.
Use this to your advantage, learn to be more precise in your landings, put it on a particular spot and on the centerline, no more being sloppy because you have a 9,000' runway to work with.
Crosswinds will be more of an issue, but you'll learn to be proficient with them. Does the wind ever blow in ND in the winter? There's always an out or backup at FAR if the wind is too strong.

Congrats on the new hangar!!!

Just curious, for that price and being near a larger city is the new hangar private or is it open to other planes on each side? Also, does your new digs have a taxiway or do you need to taxi back?

We love our "rural" hangar in Minnesota (same price as yours). Besides a fixed runway, I think mainly winter, fueling and the "locals" will be the biggest differences.

They always snowplow as much as they can but we can still get a 20" wide, tall swath of snow right in front of the door. We use an old lawn tractor as a tug and have a blade on front for quickly getting rid of the snow. The lawn tractor drinks each fuel sump. We have a small ceramic heater and as soon as we get there I place it inside and crank it up while clearing snow and preflighting. In about 30 minutes it seems to heat things up at least to the point where the KX-155 displays won't partially show or flicker :) I would never dare leave that little heater on all the time...but it sure would be nice to able to keep those old electronics from plunging down so cold.

Fueling at a airport with services is so nice, provided the price isn't that different. Right now our plane is at a Class D and I love just calling the fuel truck. At our permanent hangar I often just tow the plane over with the tractor and fuel it up. That whole lawn tractor is cheaper than the starter in the plane :) And it saves doing a hot start if we fuel after returning. And my 9yr old is the official tug driver (she loves that part!)

The "locals" and the wildlife can also make things interesting. I swear at the Class D I show up, prep the plane, fly with the instructor, put it away and go home. This same operation at the rural airport will easily add 1hr or more with all the talk :) And more wildlife out here. Turkeys on the runway the other day. Sometimes deer. And a couple years back a coyote.

Here is what I will miss about the Class D. Yesterday the instructor has me practicing landings. I call in ready for departure. We hear them clear a gorgeous TBM830 on the parallel. Then they give me a immediate departure. I'm still new but I go as quick as I can. Right beside us the TBM830 runs ahead and we both climb out at the same time. So cool to watch that up close....but he climbs way faster than the 182!! Or the other week, my wife was doing her biannual. I hear this sweet sound and the local P-51 is doing flyby's for a pancake breakfast. A few weeks before that a couple showed us their awesome 195. Down two hangar rows is a T-6, etc. So, just lots more to see at the Class D which I find interesting. But can be busy and sometimes lots of waiting. And just too much money to be around the bling and big corporate jets.

Congrats on the new hangar!!!

Just curious, for that price and being near a larger city is the new hangar private or is it open to other planes on each side? Also, does your new digs have a taxiway or do you need to taxi back?

We love our "rural" hangar in Minnesota (same price as yours). Besides a fixed runway, I think mainly winter, fueling and the "locals" will be the biggest differences.

its a city owned carousal hangar. mostly back taxi apart from when taking off from 18.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...d5ce5b7fd4521d!8m2!3d46.9027478!4d-96.9167607

if you zoon in above, just exiting 36 at the north end take left is the self serv fuel and then the hangar. yeah I love the class Delta service, but chose this so I can fly more instead of paying a bunch for a fancy hangar. winter will be interesting and will see how well its maintained. but the DZ is active in winter, so there is traffic. it would suck to preflight, take her out, fuel, push her back in when its -20 out

My first year of ownership I used Atlantic at KSCK, (15 mins from home) versus driving 30 minutes to the uncontrolled field I trained at. The red carpet treatment they give you was very nice, and it impressed the wife. But once a T-hangar became available for half the price, I moved. (Still same airport, though.)

I don't imagine those runways will be a problem. That's why they teach us to stay on the center line when we land. But no instrument would bother me.

Although I trained at an uncontrolled field, I prefer controlled fields. Nearly ever dumb-arse move I've ever seen have been committed at non-towered fields. (Except for the dumb-arse moves I make.) I just like the order of controlled airspaces and fields. That said, I don't know that I'd be willing to spend an extra $200/mo to be at one, if the uncontrolled field was just as close.

winter will be interesting and will see how well its maintained. but the DZ is active in winter, so there is traffic. it would suck to preflight, take her out, fuel, push her back in when its -20 out

I don't know how West Fargo does on plowing or who plows it but be prepared to be snowed in for a day or two after a storm. Unlike Fargo, who have crews who will work 24 hours a day to keep the runways clear and the airport open, there is much less pressure to do so at the small GA only airports.

I don't know how West Fargo does on plowing or who plows it but be prepared to be snowed in for a day or two after a storm. Unlike Fargo, who have crews who will work 24 hours a day to keep the runways clear and the airport open, there is much less pressure to do so at the small GA only airports.
yeah, that's shudnt be a problem. from what I hear it usually gets plowed rt after the storm... but will see

Back