Changing instructor due to medical issue

tangopapa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
tangopapa
My CFI has experienced a medical issue that will most definitely sideline him for the foreseeable future.

My last dual flight was 5/6, when we finished up the night work with the required xc. My last solo flight was 5/14. I do feel like I'm getting behind a little bit now, as my last couple solo flights and my first dual with the new instructor were all scratched due to weather. About a month ago if you had asked me when I anticipated being able to fly pax around I would have told you maybe end of June. Now I don't know.

I guess I'm just venting. I really liked flying with my CFI.

Has anyone else here had to switch instructors toward the end of primary training? Commiserate with me.

I changed my primary instructor, just before he was going to sign me off to go to the examiner. Flew the 3-hrs with a new instructor, and did some MORE ground school, and was signed off by the new CFI. Just a few hours delay, but actually it helped me. I felt much better about the oral interview materials, and he did teach me some different things in the air. Looking back, it was stressful and I was not happy, but it worked out. You will do fine. GOOD LUCK and have fun.

Thanks, I do look forward to getting a different perspective. That's one way to look at things on the bright side.

Thanks, I do look forward to getting a different perspective. That's one way to look at things on the bright side.

That's a good way to look at it. I worked with several instructors during my PPL training. Each of them got me through a hurdle.

You learn something from each instructor. I thought the instructor I had for my PP was good, until I found my instrument instructor, then I realized the first one kinda sucked, and I am sorry I didn't find my instrument instructor first. So you will learn more by trying different instructors.

I worked with 3 instructors during my PPL. The first I fired due to his lackadaisical attitude about showing up on time. The second was great and I learned a lot. The third, who finished me up, was a perfectionist and made me a much better pilot.

Each CFI provided knowledge albeit from different perspectives. Enjoy what each has to offer.

Don't be discouraged; it happens to a lot of us.
I went through 5 CFIs... fortunately, the last one was with me from the start of XC stuff to the end.
He wasn't my favorite, though... and the inevitable review when you change instructors is annoying.
If possible, try to minimize that by talking with both instructors, to ensure that the new one has been debriefed and that your training records are in order. With your previous CFI sidelined by illness, that may be a challenge, but it could save you some time, grief, and money.

My first CFI got a new job and was unavailable most of the time.
My second was fine, but the flight school went TU.
My third was OK, but extremely green - and left for two weeks the day after singing me off to solo (finally). About that time I got a flying club membership, which led to...
#4 was great, but I just missed having to go for #5. I took my check ride a few days AFTER he moved for his new job.

It's true that you learn from every instructor you fly with. You also burn a little extra time going over the basics... every one of them had me doing slow flight, stalls, steep turns, ground reference, etc. before moving on. The only advice I can offer is, don't get discouraged, and make sure YOU are in charge of your training. No one else has as much invested in you getting your ticket.

I don't know when the "my instructor" concept came into being, but we just flew with whoever was there that day.

My first CFI got a new job and was unavailable most of the time.
My second was fine, but the flight school went TU.
My third was OK, but extremely green - and left for two weeks the day after singing me off to solo (finally). About that time I got a flying club membership, which led to...
#4 was great, but I just missed having to go for #5. I took my check ride a few days AFTER he moved for his new job.

It's true that you learn from every instructor you fly with. You also burn a little extra time going over the basics... every one of them had me doing slow flight, stalls, steep turns, ground reference, etc. before moving on. The only advice I can offer is, don't get discouraged, and make sure YOU are in charge of your training. No one else has as much invested in you getting your ticket.

My CFI has experienced a medical issue that will most definitely sideline him for the foreseeable future.

My last dual flight was 5/6, when we finished up the night work with the required xc. My last solo flight was 5/14. I do feel like I'm getting behind a little bit now, as my last couple solo flights and my first dual with the new instructor were all scratched due to weather. About a month ago if you had asked me when I anticipated being able to fly pax around I would have told you maybe end of June. Now I don't know.

I guess I'm just venting. I really liked flying with my CFI.

Has anyone else here had to switch instructors toward the end of primary training? Commiserate with me.
When I got back into flying I was getting close to finishing when my primary CFI left for the majors. My new CFI and I were just starting to really get the feel for each other's style and I were talking about sending me to the examiner in a few hours when he was involved in a major air accident and died in the crash. I had to finish my last three hours with two other CFIs who filled in. Be flexible and realize that getting to fly with different people means that you are also getting a chance to learn more.

I did.

My CFI was let go from my school for some reason right in the middle of my cross countries.

The trasition was actually a lot easier than I expected it to be, my new CFI did all the transition and review during one of the lessons so there was minimal time lost.

I don't know when the "my instructor" concept came into being, but we just flew with whoever was there that day.

My school assigns us instructors, I was a bit surprised we didn't just go with who was there for the day honestly.

I had to change near the end of my PPL and the CFI I got was a wretched little guy. I would have given up had I started with him,

Then the school changed planes and that added about a grand to the training.

I think you need one instructor you feel comfortable with, and for,the consistency in instruction. But that's just me.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Realizing this is just a slight speedbump. I am going into this with a positive outlook and looking forward to a different teaching style and perspective. Just got back from going around the pattern a few times... I didn't want to look like a complete doofus to the new guy. First flight with the new CFI will be tomorrow (dual xc, so plenty of time to shoot the breeze and get to know what he's all about).

Back