changing fuel tanks

lancefisher said:
This is all assuming you have a fuel injected engine.
You are right, Lance. I overlooked the fact that the 'toga is fuel injected. That is a big difference between my example and the case at hand.

-Skip

AirBaker said:
Taxi, run-up, and take off are all done on one tank for me. I don't use the electric fuel pump during the switching of the tanks.

I can't recall the vintage of your Bonanza, but if it's old enough the vapor return line is plumbed to the left main and the 3 gph or so that flows there will over top the tank if that tank is full and you are burning from another. That alone is a good reason to leave the fuel selector alone before takeoff in such a plane.

Ben, The Socata TB Users Group (www.socata.org) is a great reference for these types of questions (that is, when Tim Metzinger is not available. : ) ) They have a discussion board and they post PIMs, checklists, et cetera.

lancefisher said:
I can't recall the vintage of your Bonanza, but if it's old enough the vapor return line is plumbed to the left main and the 3 gph or so that flows there will over top the tank if that tank is full and you are burning from another. That alone is a good reason to leave the fuel selector alone before takeoff in such a plane.

Lance, it's a 1966. I'll have to check the POH, but I do think there are 2 return lines in mine.

555Juliet said:
Ben, The Socata TB Users Group (www.socata.org) is a great reference for these types of questions (that is, when Tim Metzinger is not available. : ) ) They have a discussion board and they post PIMs, checklists, et cetera.
Thanks!

Do you fly the Trinidad at FDK, too?

AirBaker said:
Lance, it's a 1966. I'll have to check the POH, but I do think there are 2 return lines in mine.

Your plane routes the return fuel to the selected tank. That change came somewhere around 1960 IIRC.

wangmyers said:
Thanks!

Do you fly the Trinidad at FDK, too?

I do, but I only completed my checkout last month and don't have as much time in it as Tim does. He's the go-to guy. :)

555Juliet said:
I do, but I only completed my checkout last month and don't have as much time in it as Tim does. He's the go-to guy. :)
I can't wait to do mine! Were you able to do it in one flight? With whom did you do the checkout?

Ben, if you've already got a bunch of high-performance and retract time, you might be able to get checked out in one long flight. I think they want a certain amount (5 hours? maybe 10) in TB20 as well as a certain amount of retract time before you can take it out by yourself. These requirements are generally driven by the insurers, not by money-hungry flight schools.

I used the TB20 for my commercial training so I had lots of time in the airplane by the time I was turned loose with it anyway.

wangmyers said:
I can't wait to do mine! Were you able to do it in one flight? With whom did you do the checkout?

No, because I had not flown HP in a long time, and had no retract time. And it takes me extra time to learn stuff anyhoo. :redface: I worked with Danielle Trachewsky (probably not spelling that last name correctly), and I wholeheartedly recommend her, if you can schedule her. She's professional, safety-conscious, and knows her stuff.

TMetzinger said:
Ben, if you've already got a bunch of high-performance and retract time, you might be able to get checked out in one long flight. I think they want a certain amount (5 hours? maybe 10) in TB20 as well as a certain amount of retract time before you can take it out by yourself. These requirements are generally driven by the insurers, not by money-hungry flight schools.

Evert said one flight. I have IR, 50 retract, about 100 hi-perf., 400+ TT. He said mins were 100 TT, 10 retract, etc.

Back