Changing Flight Schools: To, or not to.

MrAviator180

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MrAviator
Well guys...

I've hit a big bump. I'm a student that just has 2 dual XC left before the ASEL checkride.

I recently overheard a conversation between the administrator of my current flight school and my CFI. They are raising the instructor rates (From $50 to $60) and this puts them behind the competition with the other flight school on the field. Current for a 1964 172 would be: ($135 airplane + $60 instructor) I'm a bit disappointed as it seems profit is the main reason for the raise (Began to discuss how many people would go flying with the weather improving coming out of the winter time)..

Just recently..I was reprimanded for just getting off school and finding out one of my destination airports was a no-go (winds 18 gusting 22). Therefore, I had to start over on flight planning (My 2nd XC ever). And I'll admit, I could use some more practice when it comes to flight planning (I'm a bit rusty, as getting my free public education gets a bit in the way).. So I ended up being 15 minutes late on departure... Which isn't bad for having to re-do the entire flight planning process. This "Current flight school" has older, not-so-well maintained (Things tend to always need changing... Or replacing).. I have a lot of great personal links and I think that's what will keep me here at the current flight school.. But I want to get some perspective.

The competition runs 1998 Cessna 172Rs and SPs. (133 an hour plus 50 for instructor) They are well maintained as far as I've heard. I have logged about 3 hours in the 172SPs and loved every second of it. But I have no connections there... Not do I want to burn any bridges down...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
My advice? Unless concerns about maintenance safety is the issue, if you're so close bite the bullet, pay the high fees, and finish up. Curse under your breath. Then go to the competition.

Doesn't sound like it's a huge price difference in the grand scheme of things, so it probably wouldn't be worth the switch to me. 20 hours at $13 more per hour is just $260, which isn't a lot of money. The $10 extra for the instructor isn't going to matter when you're just building time solo.

As you discovered, planes break, so if they are at least fixing them when they break--that's good sign.

First, unless the flight school is a non-profit organization, profit is most certainly a motive somewhere in the grand scheme of things. Price increases are a business decision--as is leaving for the competition. I agree with other though--the costs of switching school at this point in your training is too high so wait until after you get your ticket. There's no rule that says you can only rent from one FBO after getting your certificate, so try them all...

If a flight school wants to attract and keep the best instructors, it has to offer (among other things) adequate financial incentives. By the time you figure all the overhead costs involved with employees, the employee typically gets about half what the employer charges the customer. Figuring the typical CFI bills at most 1000 hours a year, that increase is the difference between $25K and $30K per annum -- not a lot of money in toto these days, but that difference is large from the CFI's perspective. So if your current school is raising CFI pay, what do you think its competition will have to do to keep its instructors, and how will that affect the rates over there?

All things considered, if you are happy with the quality of instruction and aircraft at your current school, changing to the other school over a 5% hike in dual-flying cost is likely to be at best a small and short-term financial gain, with a lot of potential down-sides.

The $260 savings would be eaten up, and then some, with the hours used by the new school to check you out. You'll have to do ground reference maneuvers and stalls all over again so that the new cfi knows that you can actually do the xc's to his standards.

Doesn't sound like it's a huge price difference in the grand scheme of things, so it probably wouldn't be worth the switch to me. 20 hours at $13 more per hour is just $260, which isn't a lot of money. The $10 extra for the instructor isn't going to matter when you're just building time solo.

Well guys...

I've hit a big bump. I'm a student that just has 2 dual XC left before the ASEL checkride.

I recently overheard a conversation between the administrator of my current flight school and my CFI. They are raising the instructor rates (From $50 to $60) and this puts them behind the competition with the other flight school on the field. Current for a 1964 172 would be: ($135 airplane + $60 instructor) I'm a bit disappointed as it seems profit is the main reason for the raise (Began to discuss how many people would go flying with the weather improving coming out of the winter time)..

Just recently..I was reprimanded for just getting off school and finding out one of my destination airports was a no-go (winds 18 gusting 22). Therefore, I had to start over on flight planning (My 2nd XC ever). And I'll admit, I could use some more practice when it comes to flight planning (I'm a bit rusty, as getting my free public education gets a bit in the way).. So I ended up being 15 minutes late on departure... Which isn't bad for having to re-do the entire flight planning process. This "Current flight school" has older, not-so-well maintained (Things tend to always need changing... Or replacing).. I have a lot of great personal links and I think that's what will keep me here at the current flight school.. But I want to get some perspective.

The competition runs 1998 Cessna 172Rs and SPs. (133 an hour plus 50 for instructor) They are well maintained as far as I've heard. I have logged about 3 hours in the 172SPs and loved every second of it. But I have no connections there... Not do I want to burn any bridges down...

Any thoughts?

Yes, better maintenance is a big thing, and newer planes is also not bad, but that price wise you will spend more money switching because you would need about 2 flights for the check-out with the other school. I guess is comes down to the quality of instruction, and maintenance between the schools. Is it worth paying $60 for your current instructor, and do you feel safe in their plane. If money is your only issue , then I suggest to stay with the current school.

I remember when I was flabbergasted because the industry was starting to raise CFI rates from $5/hr to $10/hr.

I remember when I was flabbergasted because the industry was starting to raise CFI rates from $5/hr to $10/hr.

I remember paying $8 an hour and thinking it was highway robbery.

As for the OP, if you are thinking about making a change, I bet you already have some other issues in your head, that make this about more than just a price increase.

IF so, then it is up to you. If you think a change will make you more comfortable and feel better about your training, change. If not, suck it up and get it over with.

Ask if you will be grandfathered under the old rates.

It doesn't hurt to ask, and they might say yes.

If you plan to rent from the competition after your PPL, you will need a checkout there. Switching pre-checkride will negate that. So you can switch and pay for a flight or two to demonstrate you're on track for the checkride, or you can stay, take your checkride, and then pay for a flight or two to checkout in the other school's airplane. Seems like essentially it's a financial wash IF you plan to switch. All other things being equal, I'd take the newer airplane over the older one. However maintenance and scheduling are significant issues that should be considered when picking either place to have a long term relationship with.

As for burning bridges, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a business. It's there to train pilots and rent planes. If you go to the other school, and then at some point come back, I'm sure they will be willing to take your money.

60 an hour and u r in alaska thats wild.. Im in nyc area and its 40 an hour.. seems like you can get much newer nicer planes for the same price.. however if they are raising the price like my school did they honored the original price until i got my ppl

Back