Changing computer motherboard

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
Seems like I get better answers here than any of the computer oriented sites so here goes.

I'm thinking of taking some of the old computer cases and build myself a back up web server or two. Right now I'm using a Dell Poweredge with dual AMD Opteron 2.4 (dual core), 12GB, 1TB disk, running Centos5. It handles its workload fine but I want a second one mainly to deal with OS upgrades and new versions of my software without service interruptions.

I'm wondering about my choice of parts as well as what gotchas I'm missing. Price is a major consideration so I'm choosing mid performance.

I will be using a Dell tower case and keeping:

• Power supply, if adequate, I haven't verified ratings at different voltages yet.
  • 300GB SATA drive
  • DVD R/W
Current list of new parts:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H $134.99 at Amazon. It's mid range, only 2 PCI slots but has 2 USB 3, Gigabit Ethernet, 1333Mhz memory slots
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 (6 core). I'm trying to decide between the 3.2GHz at $229 or the 2.8 GHz at $179. I THINK the extra speed will be noticeable.
  • A fancy heat pipe/cpu fan $30
  • Memory: 12 GB 1333MHz DDR3 $150.
  • Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 7200RPM for $79.99
  • I may need a power supply 500W for $50
If it works, I will have a really good box to run Ubuntu Server for under $700.

So what am I missing?

Thanks for reading this.

Joe

To compare a configure your own without OS system from Ascendtech with minimal differences is $1250 including shipping.

I have the free time, so I'm not too concerned about that.

I considered upgrading a Dell system a few years ago and discovered that the motherboard had an uncommon form factor (NSX?) when everybody else was using ATX or microATX so I could not recycle the case. Make sure that the mounting holes on the new motherboard are compatible with the case. Dell also uses a proprietary fan and duct for the CPU so case cooling might be an issue. New cases are not that expensive so not a disaster if the Dell case won't work. I hope that I am not insulting you as you are probably more technically advanced than I am.

I considered upgrading a Dell system a few years ago and discovered that the motherboard had an uncommon form factor (NSX?) when everybody else was using ATX or microATX so I could not recycle the case. Make sure that the mounting holes on the new motherboard are compatible with the case. Dell also uses a proprietary fan and duct for the CPU so case cooling might be an issue. New cases are not that expensive so not a disaster if the Dell case won't work. I hope that I am not insulting you as you are probably more technically advanced than I am.
No that's not insulting at all.
I like the Dell case but haven't done that due diligence yet. I have several other old computers the wife wants thrown out.

For what I'm doing I may go the mirco ATX form factor. Still plotting and scheming.

Thank you for the input.

Joe

Looks pretty good to me, definitely don't skimp out on the powersupply though. Antec, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling are all good names.

I have 6 usable systems; 5 laptops and a netbook. It's only me and my two doggies. You'd be surprised at what they spend on the internet.
The biggest problem upgrading any manufacturers hardware is compatibility. Lately, they've done a pretty good job with desktop systems. If you're handy with tools, using a non compliant vendor case isn't a problem. Laptops and netbooks though are all over the block. Of the 5 I have running, I doubt any were interchangeable except for the drives.

First, I'd recommend using processors from Intel, rather than AMD. But, I'm biased on that subject. :D Something about knowing who puts my paycheck in the bank twice a month? :D :D

Ghery,

Slightly more than half the machines I've owned have had Intel processors. I've started running Einstein@home which is very compute bound and that loses any advantage to hyperthreading.

My current thinking is that I've been getting more bang for the buck from AMD while Intel has more bang it also requires significantly more bucks for something in this class. I couldn't configure a comparable system for under $1000 but if you could recommend something, I'll certainly think about it.

Joe

If you are trying to up your overall system reliability, I'd find a MOBO with onboard RAID, and get at least 2 HDDs. Storage is soooo cheap nowadays, it's almost a crime not to have RAID.

If you are trying to up your overall system reliability, I'd find a MOBO with onboard RAID, and get at least 2 HDDs. Storage is soooo cheap nowadays, it's almost a crime not to have RAID.
RAID is an interesting technology. I have it on a couple of systems (mirroring) but have never had to deal with a failure. So my opinion is purely conjecture.

It seems to be an availability issue rather than backup. Like twin engine airplanes with 2 hard disks we are twice as likely to experience a failure. Fall over and replacement are easier as long as it is the drive and not the controller that fails.

I decided in my situation, I would rather have external drives and keep backup copies there.

It may be false economy, I am just not sure.

Joe

RAID is great for availability - it prevents a single drive failure from stopping your operations. It does nothing for something that corrupts your data or destroys your entire system. For that you need frequent backups and offsite data storage.

RAID is great for availability - it prevents a single drive failure from stopping your operations. It does nothing for something that corrupts your data or destroys your entire system. For that you need frequent backups and offsite data storage.

Geez... I was about to say the same thing... in the exact same words.

By the way, Joe, I think your specs look good, but I don't think you're going to get a decent 500W power supply for $50.00. That's not a good place to skimp.

-Rich

Geez... I was about to say the same thing... in the exact same words.

By the way, Joe, I think your specs look good, but I don't think you're going to get a decent 500W power supply for $50.00. That's not a good place to skimp.

-Rich
This has been my biggest problem.

I've found about 50 motherboards that could work with each of the 30 processors in my price and performance range. So far I think I've looked at 100 power supplies. (OK I made up the numbers but you get the idea)

The power supply I was looking at is this one, please recommend a better one. I don't know where to find detailed specs on which voltages have which current draws so I can do a good comparison.

Joe

I'm just an amatuer builder but I finally gave in on the power supply issue. Went with Corsair on my last two builds after a "bargain" (name brand bargain at that) went down and took a motherboard with it.

Look for a powersupply with either solid state capacitors or at least higher quality than consumer grade. If the manufacturer doesn't comment on the caps then move along to the next potential supply.

This has been my biggest problem.

I've found about 50 motherboards that could work with each of the 30 processors in my price and performance range. So far I think I've looked at 100 power supplies. (OK I made up the numbers but you get the idea)

The power supply I was looking at is this one, please recommend a better one. I don't know where to find detailed specs on which voltages have which current draws so I can do a good comparison.

Joe

Actually, that one looks pretty good, especially for the price. I've always had very good luck with Thermaltake.

I may have a couple of new power supplies "in stock," actually. Let me go look...

-Rich

EDIT:

I have a Coolmax V-500 and an Eagle Voltas ET-PSVT600E that I bought at a show over a year ago for $22.00 and $20.00, respectively. The former has a better reputation, but only one SATA and no PCI-e connectors. The latter has a sketchy reputation, but more connectors.

I actually think you're much better off with the one you linked to. But if you're up against it and want either of the ones I have, you can have it for my price plus shipping costs.

-Rich

Last edited:
Well all the part are in except for the case I ordered at the last minute, that's on its way so I will hopefully have something going soon.

The CPU came with its own heat pipe and fan. The "super cooler" I bought so big enough I think it could cool a small room. Once I get the case, I'll decide which one to use (fits).

That motherboard is pretty cool, it's a shape to put it in corner running as a server. It has on board Radeon with GPU and side memory, HDMI out and HD audio.

Total cost since I went with a Anatec Sonata quiet case was $777 with the shipping. If it turns out as good as i hope, I'll be real happy.

Thanks everybody for the advice. I may be back if I run into trouble putting it together but everything looks pretty straight forward.

Joe

This site is run by and moderated by pros. I have found it to be one of the more helpful help-sites there is. You usually get an answer by the next day if not the same day. Don't ever remember any question from adding upgrades to "computer doing funny things" going unanswered.

Computer Newbies

Noah Werka

Thanks, I have seen that site but it's been a while. Is it one of yours, Rich?

I've finished reading all the material that came with the motherboard and CPU, that should keep me occupied until the case comes.

Yeah, I wrote it many years ago. It desperately needs some more updating, but I have no need of a new PC right now to use as a demonstration build.

It's a good revenue generator, though, and I get lots of interesting emails from people who use it.

-Rich

Yeah, I wrote it many years ago. It desperately needs some more updating, but I have no need of a new PC right now to use as a demonstration build.

It's a good revenue generator, though, and I get lots of interesting emails from people who use it.

-Rich
I've read through it again today, and while some of the computer parts like Pentium were a bit dated the procedure seemed fine. I'll take pictures write up a "case study" which you can perhaps use as an update.

Joe

This site is run by and moderated by pros. I have found it to be one of the more helpful help-sites there is. You usually get an answer by the next day if not the same day. Don't ever remember any question from adding upgrades to "computer doing funny things" going unanswered.

Computer Newbies

Noah Werka
Thanks Noah. it looks interesting.

Joe

I'm just an amatuer builder but I finally gave in on the power supply issue. Went with Corsair on my last two builds after a "bargain" (name brand bargain at that) went down and took a motherboard with it.

Look for a powersupply with either solid state capacitors or at least higher quality than consumer grade. If the manufacturer doesn't comment on the caps then move along to the next potential supply.

"Solid state capacitors"??? Seems to me that every capacitor since the Leydon jar has been "solid state". Caps in switching supplies need to be "low ESR" but I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to skip that.

IME the most important feature of a power supply is the internal fan. The good ones have ball bearings and brushless motors. You can also pay more for quiet fans but that might not be much of a concern for a server. I also believe that in most desktops the power supplies used are overkill. If you actually measure the power input (which is typically about 120% of the output) you'll find that you're likely only using about half the rated capacity. Of course that can mean less heat from the supply which is a good thing.

Joe, have you checked to see if the supply you have comes with connectors that match the motherboard you plan to use? I haven't looked at this in quite a while but it used to be that every new generation of motherboard used different power connectors that weren't compatible with a previous generation supply.

<snip> If you actually measure the power input (which is typically about 120% of the output) you'll find that you're likely only using about half the rated capacity. Of course that can mean less heat from the supply which is a good thing.
I've been wondering how to do that? Is there a low cost watt or watt-hour meter an amateur like me can afford?

Joe, have you checked to see if the supply you have comes with connectors that match the motherboard you plan to use? I haven't looked at this in quite a while but it used to be that every new generation of motherboard used different power connectors that weren't compatible with a previous generation supply.
Crap, no I have not. off to the manual of the case that UPS is bringing.

Joe

Well, it's put together and up and running.

I'm very pleased with the results and the cost.

I'm glad I bought a new case with power supply.

I made a few mistakes in purchasing:

• Got fooled by the 4GB memory modules. They were 2 DIMMS not 1 so I maxed out at 8GB which is OK. I'll use the other 4 in my next build for one of the kids (he's not much of a kid anymore).
  • The super cooler was way to big a heat pipe. I have some pictures comparing it to the one that came with the CPU. It probably would fit in the case. ($25) but I'm not sure I can return it opened.
  • I bought a memory heat pipe but didn't use it ($12).
It took about 3 hrs from when the case arrived before I booted the first time. It was another 3 hrs before I figured out the mystic incantation to get Ubuntu 10.10 to boot from a USB stick on that machine (a first boot issue with grub and the video chipset's need for a proprietary driver to display a classy splash).

Compared to my 2 year old Dell PowerEdge with dual Opteron processors each core is about twice as fast and I have 6 instead of 4 cores a bit less memory more disk space at less than 1/2 the price.

I did get a simple Kill A Watt meter and am measure power usage now.

Rich's website helped a lot. I do have pictures.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Joe

Back