Changes to the ON SSRI pathway

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
Reciveved today:

Effective April 24, 2024, three additional medications will be allowed for special issuance consideration:

duloxetine (Cymbalta), venlafaxine (Effexor), and desvenlafaxine (Pristiq). They represent the addition of a new class of anti-depressant medications i.e., serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs). Initially, all existing policies for the Anti-depressant/SSRI program will still apply. The AME Guide will be updated on April 24, 2024.

Maybe one day they’ll be kind enough to update their chart to show that you need to be off medications for 90 days instead of the 60 they claim if you decide to try the off SSRI protocol (decision path 1).

FAA's budget for communication went to ZERO with the retirement ~2010 of Paula Carpenter, who was the FAA's english major.
The budgets are just not keeping up.

B

Money ain’t their problem. Giving them more money just means more of the same…

Let’s make this apropos, if you’re going low on the glide path in a centerline thrust jet, and you add power, you go low FASTER. You gotta influence the DIRECTION you’re going, which is done with pitch control, not power…

The faa needs to start staying in their lane, administration. It’s right there in their name. And quit trying to be medical, and making rules up as they go. It just confuses them and they do what most people do when they’re confused, NOTHING. This nothing is the backlog, not a lack of money.

Of course it would help if the ones on the payroll, I dunno, maybe it’s just me, WENT TO WORK. Did their damn job. Follow the rules they have… They apparently can’t decipher their rules either… so they make them up.

I know many are STILL “WORKING” FROM HOME.

The very last thing we need to do is give them more money…. Do you know what happens when you hold people accountable? THEY USUALLY STRAIGHTEN UP. If they don’t, there is something wrong with them, get a new one. We do have plenty of “wrong” ones in there.

Okay boys and girls I'm going to be the last one to defend FAA. However they are faced with personnel desertions due to inability to compete for personel. The purpose of the post was to disseminate knowledge. If you (esp you two) want to convert this into a polemic, "okey dokey, and I"ll just not update folks....."

For jbarass, there are now 720,000 airmen, up from 4w0,000 prior to the pandemic.
However, the House Speaker has already told SecTrans, no added $$s. And he apparently said, "oh and don't forget to cover Boeing".

Professor David Dunning: “Those most lacking in knowledge and skills are the least able to appreciate that lack.”

B

Last edited:
Are anti psychotics ever on the FAAs agenda to put on allowed list? IE Abilify class? They are sometimes used for depression and anxiety.

Thanks Bruce, I really appreciate you posting updates to FAA policies.

On a slightly related note. But probably sending the thread a totally different direction.
Quoting one of your previous quotes was something like "When the FAA says do ABC that doesn't mean do BCA"
One of my students just learned this with the new Accelerated ADHD track, unfortunately according to him it was his AME that advised him to do things in the wrong order, so now instead of having his medical that probably could have been issued by the AME, he is waiting for the FAA to send it to him.
So the quote I need to start emphasizing more is "Trust, but verify" i.e. double check what your sources are telling you.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Okay boys and girls I'm going to be the last one to defend FAA. However they are faced with personnel desertions due to inability to compete for personel. The purpose of the post was to disseminate knowledge. If you (esp you two) want to convert this into a polemic, "okey dokey, and I"ll just not update folks....."

For jbarass, there are now 720,000 airmen, up from 4w0,000 prior to the pandemic.
However, the House Speaker has already told SecTrans, no added $$s. And he apparently said, "oh and don't forget to cover Boeing".

Professor David Dunning: “Those most lacking in knowledge and skills are the least able to appreciate that lack.”

B
The FAA disagrees with your numbers of pilots. Citation. (Table 1)

The house and senate both passed reauthorization bills with another large increase. The 2 versions differ on some specific policy riders ( particularly flights from DCA) and has been extended to May 10th. Hadn’t seen “the House Speaker has already told SecTrans, no added $$s.”. Where did you see that? Seems inconsistent with the passed bill.

It hasn't gone to reconciliation yet, John.
1712162478024.png

And most of it is for the incredibly inefficient Air Traffic system.

Last edited:
Back