Changed V speeds?

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
My airplane has a number of airframe modifications, including vortex generators, that affect stall and cruising speeds. Do these actually changed the published V speeds, and do these new speeds need to be placarded?

Wouldn't the STC paperwork for that stuff tell you?

My airplane has a number of airframe modifications, including vortex generators, that affect stall and cruising speeds. Do these actually changed the published V speeds, and do these new speeds need to be placarded?

Depends.

If it's spelled out in the STC, then yes.

Otherwise, if the STC mod improves performance over the stock design, then there is no need to modify existing data. Data provided in the AFM is a baseline, so if the aircraft exceeds the baseline then no need to make changes.

My 310Q had vortex generators installed and the owner had the option of maintaining stock numbers or re indexing the airspeed indicator, which also meant a supplement to the AFM.

Depends.

If it's spelled out in the STC, then yes.

Otherwise, if the STC mod improves performance over the stock design, then there is no need to modify existing data. Data provided in the AFM is a baseline, so if the aircraft exceeds the baseline then no need to make changes.

My 310Q had vortex generators installed and the owner had the option of maintaining stock numbers or re indexing the airspeed indicator, which also meant a supplement to the AFM.

Please elucidate. I am having a difficult time understanding your meaning.

If, for example you "improve" Vx, any speed other that that specific speed will produce sub-optimal results. Any speed other than Va also will produce sub-optimal results. Only one I can see where the above makes sense is not updating Vne.

I would update Vs0 and Vs1.

Odds are the is no published change, for example when we up grossed the school 182 th numbers remained unchanged. The owner copied down the numbers from my POH for his own education for what changes he might expect to see.

On something like the VGs VX might change but unless there is a reduction in performance at the published VX there will not be a requirement to publish new data, even if it will climb steeper a few knots fast or slower.

If, for example you "improve" Vx, any speed other that that specific speed will produce sub-optimal results.

If you fly the published Vx you will obtain the same performance that the aircraft was certified with.

Any speed other than Va also will produce sub-optimal results. Only one I can see where the above makes sense is not updating Vne.

I would update Vs0 and Vs1.

Once again, depends upon the mod and language in the STC.

You're attempting to cover every detail with a broad brush. It doesn't work that way as not all mods achieve the same results.

If you fly the published Vx you will obtain the same performance that the aircraft was certified with.
You're saying the aircraft performs the same IN SPITE OF the aerodynamic modifications that have been done to the airframe:confused:

Processing....processing...processing...

ERROR WILL ROBINSON:sad:

Please explain

You're saying the aircraft performs the same IN SPITE OF the aerodynamic modifications that have been done to the airframe:confused:

Please explain

I think he meant the same or better.

I'm guessing it would change Vx to be a few knots lower. I don't think Vy changes too much.

I think he meant the same or better.

I'm guessing it would change Vx to be a few knots lower. I don't think Vy changes too much.

Right, but I believe that is his point, if the performance has changed and Vx is predicated on performance, How can you change performance without changing the V speed?

Either case, its sub-optimal. Now if you're saying its so infinitesimally small of a change that it doesn't reap dividends to nit that pick, well, I can understand that.

VX might not be VX anymore, but if you fly the published VX it will fly atleast as well as it did unmodified.

Either case, its sub-optimal. Now if you're saying its so infinitesimally small of a change that it doesn't reap dividends to nit that pick, well, I can understand that.

Sure, you wanna pay for the testing?

That's the reality typically if not the reason. Most people and their planes are only good to get within a given error value of the speed anyway. If the change falls within that error range, the change is inconsequential and likely does not require a change on the POH/AFM.

Please explain
He's saying the airplane, with the mods, doesn't perform any worse than without the mods, so no changes to performance data is required.

As long as you get the same or better climb performance at the published Vx and Vy, there's no change to the AFM.

Now, if you want to know the "new" Vx or Vy for the BEST performance post-upgrade... well you either call the STC holder (not likely to be helpful), or you get to play test pilot and figure it out yourself.

Back