Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
Folks - This may be old news to ya'll but hadn't seen it yet:

logo.gif

New Runway Crossing Procedure
Notice Number: NOTC2372

Runway Crossing Procedure Change
Beginning June 30, 2010 , controllers will be required to issue explicit instructions to cross or hold short of each runway that intersects a taxi route.
"Taxi to" will no longer be used when issuing taxi instructions to an assigned take-off runway.
Instructions to cross a runway will be issued one at a time. Instructions to cross multiple runways will not be issued. An aircraft or vehicle must have crossed the previous runway before another runway crossing is issued.
This applies to any runway, including inactive or closed runways.
Changes will also be made to the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) and AIP to reflect the new procedures.
Never cross a hold line without explicit ATC instructions.
If in doubt ASK!

Reminder: You may not enter a runway unless you have been:
  • instructed to cross that specific runway;
  • cleared to take off from that runway; or
  • instructed to position and hold on that specific runway.
See https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2010/Jun/Runway_Crossing_Procedural_Change_FAAST_Blast.pdf for the Runway Safety notice. Click this next link for a video of the change. http://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_safety/news/current_events/taxi_to/media/TaxiTo_V3_3wPreloader.swf (You may have to copy and paste the links into your browser.)

For additional information, go to http://www.faa.gov/go/runwaysafety
Federal Aviation Administration
Air Traffic Organization
Office of Runway Safety
490 L'Enfant Plaza, SW, Suite 7225
Washington, DC 20024

But thanks for the repost if someone missed. Pretty big change, definitely worth the repetition.

I was never all that comfortable with crossing runways without a near-real-time clearance for that particular runway's crossing anyway.

I was never all that comfortable with crossing runways without a near-real-time clearance for that particular runway's crossing anyway.

Me too. It always makes me nervous.

And when I have any reason to wonder if my crossing clearance is still in effect, I've always asked anyway. Especially at PTK, that tended to irk them. :dunno:

I have read that if the intersecting taxiway/holdshort is within 1000' of the first hold short line then a "running clearance" can be given...
DTN has Echo taxiway across 14/32 that is within 1000' of the hold short for our runway 5/23. Today the twin in front of me was given both the clearance for crossing 14/32 @ Echo and the 5/23 clearance @ Foxtrot.

Might be good to let people know there is an exception to the Rule from the get-go...

Chris

I have read that if the intersecting taxiway/holdshort is within 1000' of the first hold short line then a "running clearance" can be given...
DTN has Echo taxiway across 14/32 that is within 1000' of the hold short for our runway 5/23. Today the twin in front of me was given both the clearance for crossing 14/32 @ Echo and the 5/23 clearance @ Foxtrot.

Good to know. We have 2 runways that intersect at a 45deg angle with a taxiway that crosses both forming a little triangle. There are two hold short lines for the respective runways, about 30ft apart. The other day I got a clearance to go into that 'box'. Once I had stopped in the 'box', I received the next clearance.....

That is correct. Normally, you must be told to cross the first and hold short of the second, and can't be cleared across the second until you've crossed the first. However, if the two crossings are less than 1000 feet apart, you can (but not necessarily) be cleared across both runways at the same time.

Some controllers are coming up with creative instructions... Last week I after landing I needed to cross parallel runways, then take a left to head to the FBO. The first clearance I got from ATC was cross 22L at A, hold short 22R. After reading that back, I got something to the effect of 'change that, now turn left onto RY22L, right on B, cross 22R, straight into parking. Not that I particularly like taxiing halfway down a runway, but it negates having to say hold short of the next and then a clearance to get across it.

Apparently no one has told the controllers at KSAF...

Some controllers are coming up with creative instructions... Last week I after landing I needed to cross parallel runways, then take a left to head to the FBO. The first clearance I got from ATC was cross 22L at A, hold short 22R. After reading that back, I got something to the effect of 'change that, now turn left onto RY22L, right on B, cross 22R, straight into parking. Not that I particularly like taxiing halfway down a runway, but it negates having to say hold short of the next and then a clearance to get across it.
If that change was really to avoid having to issue a hold short instruction, that would make me thing that an unintended consequence of the new rule may be a decrease in safety in some instances. I'm hoping that he issued the amended instruction merely because he was going to have opposite direction traffic on A. Like you, I prefer not to taxi on runways when avoidable!

If that change was really to avoid having to issue a hold short instruction, that would make me thing that an unintended consequence of the new rule may be a decrease in safety in some instances. I'm hoping that he issued the amended instruction merely because he was going to have opposite direction traffic on A. Like you, I prefer not to taxi on runways when avoidable!

Traffic was not a factor. I think he had a phone call to make and didn't want to talk to us anymore. :rolleyes2:

Unless 22L and 22R are less than 1000 feet apart, I'm not sure that was a legal clearance under the new rules. I don't think the controller was permitted to clear you across 22R until there were no other runways between you and 22R. I'd like to hear from a controller who's had the training on the new procedures to confirm that one way or the other.
FAA N JO 7110.532 said:
An aircraft/vehicle must have crossed a previous runway before another runway crossing clearance may be issued.

Last edited:
Back