Change of airport Identifier

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
A few months ago, Marshfield, MA airport changed their ID from a #letter# ID (3B2) to GHG. What is the point of doing this? Is it just so the airport feels better about itself or what?
Thanks

A few months ago, Marshfield, MA airport changed their ID from a #letter# ID (3B2) to GHG. What is the point of doing this? Is it just so the airport feels better about itself or what?
Thanks

They have an ASOS now, right?

-ars

So did Erie, CO (48V to KEI) and Boulder, CO (1V5 to BDU) - I was told it was required in order to implement automated weather reporting (AWOS? or ASOS?) ... somewhere in the weather system data stream, numeric identifiers weren't handled.

When you have a radio station in the vicinity of an airport you get the three letter.
ASOS/AWOS/ILS/LOC/VOR/SDF/LDA/NDB, etc...

When you have a radio station in the vicinity of an airport you get the three letter.
ASOS/AWOS/ILS/LOC/VOR/SDF/LDA/NDB, etc...

1b9 has an NDB on the field, so that must not be totally true.

No, it's not the navaid, or even an AWOS/ASOS itself, it's the connection of the AWOS/ASOS to the national weather reporting system which triggers the change to a 3-letter ID.

No, it's not the navaid, or even an AWOS/ASOS itself, it's the connection of the AWOS/ASOS to the national weather reporting system which triggers the change to a 3-letter ID.

Exactly, Ron. That's why N99 will be getting a 3-letter ID in a couple of months.

Care to 'splain KONM, Socorro, NM? No AWOS, ASOS, VOR located off field, no tower, no RCO....

I suspect that the reason it changes to a K id is because of something having to do with ICAO, but I have no idea what it is. There's too many exceptions to the "AWOS" thing.

lAnother thing I can't figure out why do they change the Freq. to the tower. Klamath Falls Or. changed theirs form 118.5 to 118.2. Could someone explain this to me. I flew into KF and had the old freq. in the current AOPA flight guide. I almost got in serious trouble because of it. I don't understand why they need to change these numbers that have been in place for a while. Bob

Thanks

At least you don't have two concurrently! They never finished what they started up here and we are forced to use the FAA and ICAO identifier concurrently at many airports

----

Based at PAIN/INR.

We will be getting ASOS or AWOS at LDJ shortly (construction in full swing) will that mean a frequency change? Right now LDJ shares 123.00 CTAF/Unicom with a good number of other nearby Jersey airports. I would think a frequency change witht he addition of any of the above weather reporting systems would require a change, correct?

We will be getting ASOS or AWOS at LDJ shortly (construction in full swing) will that mean a frequency change? Right now LDJ shares 123.00 CTAF/Unicom with a good number of other nearby Jersey airports. I would think a frequency change witht he addition of any of the above weather reporting systems would require a change, correct?

I believe the management of any airport can request a frequency change, and probably get it. A number of SE Penna. have done so, include my home field. To my knowledge there are no other implications to getting a change approved.

Back