• I changed jobs to be closer to the airport

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Did you change your job because or primarily in order that you could fly or fly more than you were flying?

Well, I changed jobs for higher salary, which led to more money to pay the flying bills. Does that count?

I am currently on the road from engineer to pilot. I am trying my best to get my CFI in the next 2-3 years. 23 years old. The cube life is slowly killing me I gotta get out...

I am thinking of quitting the flying job and take a job playing a piano.....

Not yet. Thinking of bailing on my day job to become a CFI...

I would become a CFI first before bailing :). But I'm thinking of doing something similar for some extra cash nights and weekends. I couldn't live on a CFI salary with my current setup.

Trick is to find that extra 5K to get it done.

Kinda. I went in to quit my job and do CFI stuff and they told me to stay part-time and log my hours.

I wouldn't say I planned it, but the move to the small company I'm currently at really made that possible. No way I could have swung that at the former employer, but I wasn't trying to. They'd have accepted the resignation and said "Have fun!"

That the whole thing has dragged on a full year was the surprise. We have a solid budget and it hasn't turned into a problem because of that, but it'll be nice to get finished and then decide what's next.

There's also zero guarantee they'll want me back to full time status, but that wouldn't be the end of the world for a budding CFI who needs some time to teach.

The role I have there is "Here's a messy project nobody else has time for that needs to be done. Can you do that this week?" And then I set my own hours and get it accomplished. So I can't complain. It's a pretty good setup for them and me. I think they'd like me back full time but we'll have that chat after two more checkrides.

Back