Change in chart and AF/D covers

Yes, it gave me amoments pause as I was switching out versions in my flight bag.

John

You so bad.... :incazzato:

But, I like a new chart without marks and creases and rips. I stopped by Airways Friday and replaced my Sectional stock. They were out of Cincinnati, though.
Barb really only flies IFR* and needs not a lot of current charts

*: I Follow Roads, a Rand McNally atlas and she is good to go!

:D

She has really cool pictures of her trip up to AK flying at the very non-flight levels. It is neat to fly low and slow.

Anybody else notice the change in covers on the new sectionals / TAC / AF-Ds?
Yeah, it's cool, because I can spot the instructors and students who don't bother to pick up a new one!
May not be of any value until the day you come bouncing in to your local uncontrolled airport as marked on your 4 1/2 month old sectional and find out it now has a tower and Class D airspace you've violated! It's happened locally with BAZ a few years back.

Ryan

Who needs NEW charts. Mountains and towns don't move! :devil: :D

Cities do sort of move. Take a look at a sectional from 10-20 years ago and today. Cities are like diseased cockroaches spreading all over everywhere - including the mountains.

Pretty.

Your tax dollars at work. Wanna guess how many meetings/how much management time was wasted designing the new look?

Saw them initially at KOSH. They have cut down a little on the info on the sectionals as I recall, and I think they're working on something comparable to Jeppesen's VFR+GPS charts. Leslie called those "Rand McNally's" of the air, because they remind her of the old road atlas colors.

Saw them initially at KOSH. They have cut down a little on the info on the sectionals as I recall, and I think they're working on something comparable to Jeppesen's VFR+GPS charts. Leslie called those "Rand McNally's" of the air, because they remind her of the old road atlas colors.

Do you mean info on the chart itself, or just on the cover page/legend?

Oh, here's the FAA's description of the changes: link

I'm put in mind of the companies that periodically change their product branding, and then spend a fortune on advertising that it's new packaging, but the 'same great product inside!' :)

cosmetic ugrade only.......

The table of contents was moved inside on the US Terminal Procedures chart. I noticed that the night before the ground portion of my IR checkride last week, so I scoured to find any other changes before sitting with the examiner.

I'm thinking they need to issue custom binder clips with these. The East Central (Wisc & IL) is getting so thick, I was flying last week with my CFII and the largest binder clip broke and went flying in the cockpit as I was trying to wedge it onto the approach plate book.

The table of contents was moved inside on the US Terminal Procedures chart. I noticed that the night before the ground portion of my IR checkride last week, so I scoured to find any other changes before sitting with the examiner.

I'm thinking they need to issue custom binder clips with these. The East Central (Wisc & IL) is getting so thick, I was flying last week with my CFII and the largest binder clip broke and went flying in the cockpit as I was trying to wedge it onto the approach plate book.

Here's the list of changes that have been made to the TPP. It appears to be a separate set of changes from the cover changes. I wish they'd send these out with the other FAASafety emails I get regularly - it's not the sort of thing I think to check regularly, but I'd rather find out about these things before I get in the cockpit.

Can't really call the AF/D "the green book" anymore--it's more of a light baby boy blue.

Funny (to me) that they issued that under a "SAFETY ALERT". Am I more likely to get a paper cut with this new version? :rofl:

Well, for a cover change, yeah it seems silly, but for a content change - like changing around the order of the preamble (see above) - I'd call it a safety issue. If I need to look at one of those pages while I'm flying, I want to know where it is. Every extra page I have to flip is a second I'm paying less attention to flying the airplane.

Which brings me to the thing I'm having the most trouble with in my instrument training at the moment: moving all that damn paper around the cockpit. But that's for another thread.

That's why you look at the AF/D BEFORE you go. ;)

The less you have to read in the cockpit, the better. As far as paper goes, thats why you need an Ipad with a chart subscription...and paper for back up. :thumbsup: I sure wish I had one!

The easiest thing to do is to print out the approaches you expect to use, tab the actual approach plate book for the planned airport and alternate, as well as fold the charts with a large enough portion where it gives you time to refold in flight. The high tech world gave up and got lazy, thats why they're not sweating as hard! ...but they also have more time for other things.

Well, for a cover change, yeah it seems silly, but for a content change - like changing around the order of the preamble (see above) - I'd call it a safety issue. If I need to look at one of those pages while I'm flying, I want to know where it is. Every extra page I have to flip is a second I'm paying less attention to flying the airplane.

I hear you. I guess the real question is why do we not have a better distribution message for "SAFETY ALERT"s? First I've heard of this May alert.

That's why you look at the AF/D BEFORE you go. ;)

The less you have to read in the cockpit, the better. As far as paper goes, thats why you need an Ipad with a chart subscription...and paper for back up. :thumbsup: I sure wish I had one!

Yeah, I'm getting better at pre-flight paper organization. I got in the habit of post-note bookmarking the AFD on my PP cross-countries, and I'm extending that to terminal procedures as well, although when I'm going up for VFR practice, I just print the procedures I plan to use. Still, it's not as good as I'd like to be.

As for safety notices, I'm thinking about sending the FAASafety email people a note suggesting they include them. I'll do that after I finish the work that I'm supposed to be doing rather than surfing PoA. Arg.

That's why I switched to the looseleaf variety and binders. That way I could also put the plates for my destination/alternate into the tear-out page protectors, and just "rip" a plate out and put it on the yoke, and put it back in the binder later.

Of course, that's back in the day when I was still using paper. ;)

The much-worse problem with the Wisconsin/Illinois book is that everybody wants to be Chicago (for some reason :dunno:) so it's impossible to find the plate you want for northern IL. Some airports are listed as being in Chicago when they're not, others that are close in aren't. Chicago/Waukegan or Chicago/West Chicago (DuPage) I can understand...

But when it started to get crazy is when Rockford jumped on the bandwagon. Chicago/Rockford? Are you freaking kidding me? That's like saying "Milwaukee/Madison." They're nowhere near each other. But on the other hand, airports that are MUCH closer in to Chicago *aren't* marked as Chicago. Clow is still listed in Bolingbrook, Campbell in Grayslake, Joliet in Joliet... In fact there are many airports closer to Chicago than Rockford that are properly listed.

So, it's starting to get difficult to find your plates when you go to northern IL. I'm going to Aurora, is that Aurora or Chicago? And if it's Chicago, there are WELL over a hundred pages of plates under "Chicago" now. In fact, it might be getting closer to 200. Ridiculous! They're being renamed that way for marketing purposes, but it's becoming a safety of flight issue.

Rant off.

I just took a look at the FAASafety email settings, and in the list of topics you can receive emails about, there's a section for 'charting', which I didn't have checked before. Now I do. So in a few months, maybe I'll receive the next change notice, maybe I won't. Undoubtedly, I'll have completely forgotten about this by then.

That's why I switched to the looseleaf variety and binders. That way I could also put the plates for my destination/alternate into the tear-out page protectors, and just "rip" a plate out and put it on the yoke, and put it back in the binder later.

Of course, that's back in the day when I was still using paper. ;)

The much-worse problem with the Wisconsin/Illinois book is that everybody wants to be Chicago (for some reason :dunno:) so it's impossible to find the plate you want for northern IL. Some airports are listed as being in Chicago when they're not, others that are close in aren't. Chicago/Waukegan or Chicago/West Chicago (DuPage) I can understand...

But when it started to get crazy is when Rockford jumped on the bandwagon. Chicago/Rockford? Are you freaking kidding me? That's like saying "Milwaukee/Madison." They're nowhere near each other. But on the other hand, airports that are MUCH closer in to Chicago *aren't* marked as Chicago. Clow is still listed in Bolingbrook, Campbell in Grayslake, Joliet in Joliet... In fact there are many airports closer to Chicago than Rockford that are properly listed.

So, it's starting to get difficult to find your plates when you go to northern IL. I'm going to Aurora, is that Aurora or Chicago? And if it's Chicago, there are WELL over a hundred pages of plates under "Chicago" now. In fact, it might be getting closer to 200. Ridiculous! They're being renamed that way for marketing purposes, but it's becoming a safety of flight issue.

Rant off.

I like the looseleaf with binders, and used that this summer. While I will go that route when I'm flying IFR informally, it really was bad for the training environment. They tore out so easily, my binder was a mess after two flights with 3-4 approaches each. But I do like just flipping the pages over and having it lay flat.

I like the looseleaf with binders, and used that this summer. While I will go that route when I'm flying IFR informally, it really was bad for the training environment. They tore out so easily, my binder was a mess after two flights with 3-4 approaches each. But I do like just flipping the pages over and having it lay flat.

They do tear easily, but that's why I got the tear-out page protectors. Then I could easily remove and "reinstall" the plates when I flew them. Holding the binder open for any length of time (ie putting it on your leg or something) is pretty much guaranteed to rip a plate or two out, but if you open it, flip to the sheet protectors, pull (literally!) the plate you want, and close it up it'll last the full 56 days even when you're training.

The tear-out page protectors are here:

http://sportys.com/pilotshop/product/8779

Back