Chances of passing my medical(past anxiety)?

Deeno

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Deeno
I’ve hit a snag in getting my PPL. I was treated for anxiety/panic attacks over 10 years ago(have been fine since) and the FAA asked for medial records. The records were destroyed by my doctor. I sent in a letter stating this. I called today to check on my status. I was told to call back in a couple weeks to see if a letter has been sent out. I don’t want to continue spending my time/money working on my PPL if I’m not going to pass my medical. Should I put my lessons on hold? Is there a chance I can pass my medical?

I’ve hit a snag in getting my PPL. I was treated for anxiety/panic attacks over 10 years ago(have been fine since) and the FAA asked for medial records. The records were destroyed by my doctor. I sent in a letter stating this. I called today to check on my status. I was told to call back in a couple weeks to see if a letter has been sent out. I don’t want to continue spending my time/money working on my PPL if I’m not going to pass my medical. Should I put my lessons on hold? Is there a chance I can pass my medical?

I’d recommend putting lessons on hold to minimize money spent. There is a significant chance they could make you see a HIMS Psychiatrist & Psychologist, the hole 9
yards and $$$. That could take over a year…

I’d recommend putting lessons on hold to minimize money spent. There is a significant chance they could make you see a HIMS Psychiatrist & Psychologist, the hole 9
yards and $$$. That could take over a year…
Thanks for the advice! My husband is encouraging me to continue with lessons but the more I read the more it sounds like it could be a complicated, lengthy process.

Well, if you really like it, continue with the knowledge you may not get “certified”.

insofar as regs are concerned, your instructed time and requirements met are good forever.

And you’ll come away knowing how to fly. Worst case you can’t fly legally by yourself or without another pilot onboard... meh.

Once you become a part 121 whoopdy dooo airline pilot you don’t fly by yourself either!

If your husband is a pilot and you fly together, continue. Never hurts to have an adequately skilled backup pilot. You don’t need a medical or a PPL to land the plane if the pilot becomes incapacitated.

Were you treated with any medications? The pharmacy should still have records of that unless they're closed. Similarly, your insurance company at the time should have records that include a diagnosis code.

Anxiety treatment alone for a transient situation is normally not a problem. But if there are no records stating what the diagnosis was, the FAA will probably assume the worst.

See your email......
Is there someone like yourself that could help me? I sent in part of the requested information to OKC(medical records were unavailable/destroyed.) Looks like I have along road ahead of me and would like to make sure I get it right from here on. Thanks for your response and time.

Hi there, I recently went down this road and I did receive my medical, despite having a past history of SSRI usage. It really depends on what type of medication you were prescribed and how long you were on it. Not having your medical records certainly adds a level of complexity to the situation. In any case, it will take awhile but there are ways to help expedite your case from my experience which are...

1. Call the Oklahoma City FAA medical office daily (you will need to call 8-10 times at random times to get through once)
2. Call your Regional Flight Surgeon. They are a massive help and answer much faster and can pull your application.
3. Answer each request letter FULLY and you will likely receive your medical. The FAA is super black and white.

I imagine in your case they may ask you to see a board certified psychiatrist for a fully evaluation if you are unable to have your old prescribing doctor verify your past treatment.

As far as flying, I kept flying twice a month just to keep proficiency because I was already almost 20 hours in. If you are just a few hours in, just take time off and save yourself money and restart when you have your medical.

Good luck!

Hi there, I recently went down this road and I did receive my medical, despite having a past history of SSRI usage. It really depends on what type of medication you were prescribed and how long you were on it. Not having your medical records certainly adds a level of complexity to the situation. In any case, it will take awhile but there are ways to help expedite your case from my experience which are...

1. Call the Oklahoma City FAA medical office daily (you will need to call 8-10 times at random times to get through once)
2. Call your Regional Flight Surgeon. They are a massive help and answer much faster and can pull your application.
3. Answer each request letter FULLY and you will likely receive your medical. The FAA is super black and white.

I imagine in your case they may ask you to see a board certified psychiatrist for a fully evaluation if you are unable to have your old prescribing doctor verify your past treatment.

As far as flying, I kept flying twice a month just to keep proficiency because I was already almost 20 hours in. If you are just a few hours in, just take time off and save yourself money and restart when you have your medical.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience and your suggestions! I have been calling OKC and working on my written exam for now. I will also contact our Regional Flight surgeon. Depending on what OKC says, I should be able to return to flying a couple times a month since I also have about 20 hours as well. Bonus is I will have my written exam complete by then. I am not put off by the process just want to make sure I don’t make any more mistakes moving forward.

I'm in a similar position of trying to get my PPL and ready to solo and passed the written exam and cant satisfy the regional office for a past diagnosis of GAD. During the final few months of my wife battle with Brain Cancer, my primary care doctor offered an SSRI and I took it for a few months. The records the primary care doctor provided wont satisfy the FAA for review. They want to see a treatment plan. The records just show the diagnosis and medication being prescribed. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back