Champion quietly changes their plug design

philiplane

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Philiplane
Champion very quietly just changed the internal design of their plugs to the same design that Tempest has. They didn't even call it a change, they simply changed the description of the plug construction, without any reference to the previous design:

http://www.championaerospace.com/products/spark-plugs/

After all the defense of their spring-loaded unstable resistor, they now have a “Fired-in suppressor seal resistor prevents wear from voltage drain for prolonged plug life”

They also took their response letter (to the TATI SB calling for removal of fine wire plugs from turbo engines) off the main page and buried it in the back.

I guess they finally decided to make some changes after keeping their collective heads in the sand since 2011.

Amazing that they just sat in denial for so long. Instead of putting their customer first, they just lashed out at critics of their product.

A week ago I saw an airshow with Patty Wagstaff, and I was surprised to hear the announcer say that she flies with Champiom spark plugs. It just made no sense to me that she would do that, even if they do pay her. If there's anybody who really needs their engine to fire reliably on all cylinders, it's a low-altitude acrobat like her.

They might have been reading what we had to say about their plugs.

Or they might have found that it was cheaper to make them like Tempest does (and Auburn did).

We shall see if they're any better.

Dan

They might have been reading what we had to say about their plugs.

Or they might have found that it was cheaper to make them like Tempest does (and Auburn did).

We shall see if they're any better.

Dan

No WE won't, I'll let others be the test pilots, I'll stick with tempest.

Champion very quietly just changed the internal design of their plugs to the same design that Tempest has. They didn't even call it a change, they simply changed the description of the plug construction, without any reference to the previous design:

http://www.championaerospace.com/products/spark-plugs/

After all the defense of their spring-loaded unstable resistor, they now have a “Fired-in suppressor seal resistor prevents wear from voltage drain for prolonged plug life”

They also took their response letter (to the TATI SB calling for removal of fine wire plugs from turbo engines) off the main page and buried it in the back.

I guess they finally decided to make some changes after keeping their collective heads in the sand since 2011.

Way longer than that. Champion plugs were problematic when I was turning wrenches on planes in the early 90s.

Back