Champion plug news 2020

dick c

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dick c
Reading the issues, dealing with funny running engines, did some more searching and LO AND BEHOLD... search for the Champion industrial spark plug catalog from 2012, on page four they describe the issue, and explain they only use fired in resistors for longer life. The chart is resistance vs temperature, something no one may be considering. apparently the resistance is changing a lot with temp, IE once airborne and up to cruising conditions these plugs are not the same as on the ramp, or in a test fixture. They knew all about it before 2012.

dickc

Your point?

I know in the past, Champion used separate resistors in the barrel of their aviation plugs. If you removed the top post, and looked into the barrel there was a screw. If you removed the screw you found a cylindrical resistor and spring.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrp3yj6z8de9z9f/Champion.Resistor.Screw.Spring.jpg?dl=1

I assumed Champion did this to ease manufacture. So they could use the same barrel for a range of resistance plugs. Unfortunately this created three unnecessary physical circuit breaks which quickly led to higher resistance.

We made a lot of noise on POA for a long time, and Champion finally paid attention to the loss of sales to Tempest/Unison. Champion had bought up the Auburn plug line in around 2006. Sad, because Auburns were the best by a long shot. Champion shut them down and should have used Auburn's monolithic resistor technology right away.

I think the separate, spring-loaded resistor is really old tech. Never seen an automobile plug with it; they've used fired-in resistors for an awful long time.

But, then, cars have also had tubeless tires for a long time, too. And radial tires. And nitrile bearing seals. And......

The trouble with Champion is that when they started to use the in-place resistor, they didn't change the part number............so you don't know what you are getting.

The trouble with Champion is that when they started to use the in-place resistor, they didn't change the part number............so you don't know what you are getting.
Unless you take it out of its packaging and look down the cigarette well. The old ones had a slot for a screwdriver in the contact at the bottom of the well. The new ones don't.

Back