Champaign Science

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Ok, so last night I had a glass of Champaign. After it was poured, I got to wondering a couple things.

So first I notice bubbles "streaming" from specific points on the glass to the surface. They didn't seem to be doing this in the original bottle but in the glass, these streams of bubbles from nowhere continued the whole time the glass was there.

Why does one bubble appear and another appears a minute later. Obviously it is a constant stream but why not all at once? Why does one bubble of a specific size originate and another and another and another instead of them all appearing at once? Why is bubble B so damned important that he gets created and sent to the top 20 bubbles before bubble A? What is going on that makes this a continuous action? all the pressure was released and it is unchanging at this point.

attachment.php

Question 2:
Why are the bubble streams coming from specific points on the glass.
Here I point out one that is coming from the side and sending a stream of bubbles to the top. Why are they coming from 10 different spots instead of from all over?

attachment.php

It seems to me like what ever reaction is taking place (some sort of expansion?) should have happened in a couple seconds and been done.

Break it down for me. This is all I thought about as I was falling asleep last night. I can't figure out what is going on.

Attachments

• bubbs1.jpg
    bubbs1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 185
  • bubbs2.jpg
    bubbs2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 182
And why are they all originating from the glass. No bubbles appeared to be originating from the center of the liquid. All were coming from the glass surface.

In space, would it not bubble if it was just floating and not touching anything?

And why are they all originating from the glass. No bubbles appeared to be originating from the center of the liquid. All were coming from the glass surface.

In space, would it not bubble if it was just floating and not touching anything?

The bubbles originate from small bits of dirt on the glass.

Champaign is a city in Illinois.

Not necessarily dirt, could be a scratch, but there has to be something for the bubbles to nucleate on. Yes, in our we've been known to take a carbide pen and scratch the bottom of the champagne flutes to promote the bubble formation.

The initial batch of bubble from area B is because it is higher in the column and is under less pressure than area A. Once the first batch goes, they start forming on imperfections on the glass surface.

I've got a nephew studying engineering at UI-Banana Shampoo.

The liquid in the glass slowly warming up after being chilled will allow the gas in solution to expand and become buoyant:dunno:

Geeze....Thought this was campaign science...

Guess that's why its not in the spin zone...:redface::rolleyes:

My vote is its magic. I love magic.

Back