challenging flight in actual

coma24

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
coma24
Been a POA member for a long time, but haven't posted much outside of the sim discussions. So, I thought I'd relay some details from my last IFR flight.

Flew the Lancair from Lincoln Park, NJ to SW Kentucky a few weeks ago for the condition inspection. There was some tricky decision making on this flight. I briefed the weather in some detail the night before to get a feel for tops (9-12k along the route of flight), convective activity (none), likelihood of icing (possible above 9k), winds (hairy 30kt headwind initially, then 5-10kt later on).

Verified the weather this morning, then set off from N07-K24. Cleared route was "upon entering controlled airspace, direct Chatham NDB, vectors LANNA V30 ETX V39 MRB ESL V4 HVQ AZQ LOZ, direct."

Picked up the clearance via phone, told the controller I could depart VFR, he was happy to hear it, so off I went. This complicated things slightly as I now needed to talk to Caldwell tower (KCDW) immediately after departure since my route of flight would take me through their airspace. The challenge would be to talk to them and get a freq change to NY Approach before butting up against the next Delta, which was Morristown (KMMU). Caldwell cut me loose as I was passing abeam the tower, so I checked in with NY Approach who quickly identified me, got me onto a 180 heading and climbed me to 7000. Once they had me above the EWR arrival stream, then turned me west towards SBJ (not on the original plan, but easily added to the flight plan and backed up with the VOR receiver a few seconds after that).

I spent the next 2hrs 15mins in solid IMC, which is pretty tiring when you're hand flying a twitchy little fella like the Lancair 360. The workload was absolutely relentless between wind shifts, updrafts and downdrafts, monitoring outside air temps, turning the ram air on and off when going in and out of precip, and monitoring inlet air temperature (carb temp), employing carb heat, etc. I cannot stress the importance of having a carb temp gauge in non-fuel injected aircraft that flies IFR. The double whammy was having to kill ram air each time I fire up the carb heat! I did one but not the other and wondered why the carb temp didn't budge.

The first 2/3 of the flight generally took place at around 8000ft, almost entirely in stratus clouds with light to moderate precip and a smooth ride. It's hard to explain or recall the sights and sounds of the trip, but here are the 3 most memorable parts:
1) Keeping close track of temps at 8k, 9k and then 10k, eventually hitting ice at 10k, dropping back down to 9k and watching the ice go "buh bye"....twice.

2) Getting tired of being in IMC and in and out of performance-robbing clouds, I had a pretty good feeling that if I could get on top, life would be a lot better. I was able to get the climb from 8-10k but the controller said it would be a few moments before he could get me higher. The OAT was dropping, and I knew I had a very, very narrow window to get this climb done, or I was going to have to drop back down and try again later, or not at all). Just as the first crystals of ice start forming on the canopy, I receive the climb to 11k. By then, the speed has wound up a bit, and I have the ability to trade it for a quick zoom to 11k where I can sense by the change in lighting that I should pretty much be on top. Sure enough, at about 10,800, with 115kias (ie, just about out of gas in the zoom), I pop out on top, the OAT immediately shoots up to +6C and the ice quickly disappears. I have nothing but blue skies above, and every cloud I can see out to the horizon is below me. Success. I let the speed wind up, carb heat off, ram air on and off we go in 'go fast' mode at last, free of the shackles of IMC. It was a calculated risk, and it paid off. My workload went down to near 0 for the next hour as I enjoyed the view. As it happens, the tops eventually dropped down to around 7k, but I stayed at 11k as the fuel burn was lower in any case and the winds were pretty light by that point.

3) best descent phase I think I've ever had...continuous descent from 11k down to 3600ft for the IAF, except for one level off at 6k to bleed off some speed prior to entering the tops again. Shot RNAV RWY 17 approach at around 180kias because I knew it would be VMC below 3k and I was planning on doing a low approach to greet my friend at the field anyway. Broke out, got 500ft below the clouds while remaining on the approach, canceled IFR. Spotted what I thought was the field, but the angle didn't look quite right. I was on the final approach course, but the airport looked slightly off center and the runway was about 20 degrees off. I double checked the plate to see how the final approach course related to the runway orientation and noted it was straight in. I looked more closely outside and noticed the actual airport dead ahead, about 1.5nm away. I left the power where it was, pitched down a little more and savored the 215kias low approach that followed. Slow pullup at the end (actually, at that speed, it was more a case of releasing some of the pressure on the stick, allowing the plane to do what it wanted to do, which was climb). 700ft into the climb (a few seconds later), start the crosswind turn, power to 12" and set myself the challenge of not touching that again since the winds were practically dead, making for a very predictable pattern. Gear...flaps, base, more flaps, what an amazing view. Turned a 1/4 mile final, one more GUMP check and a nice touchdown to end a truly interesting flight.

What struck me after landing was that this was a really challenging flight, not because of stick & rudder, but because of the thought process and decision making a long the way. I could've absolutely stayed at 4-6k the whole way, been miserable, flown slowly and gotten there in one piece, but took a calculated risk to get on top and then reaped the rewards with a much reduced workload.

If you're thinking about getting an instrument rating but haven't done it...you're missing out on whole new world of sights, sounds, utility, challenges and fun. Do it!

Here's what it looked like at 11k (quite a while later when the tops dropped from 10.8k down to about 7k):
20130429_124720.jpg

20130429_124519.jpg

You're 20 feet high. :D Seriously, nice post. I don't think there is anything in GA as rewarding as a well executed single pilot IFR trip. When I retired and began flying just for fun I realized how much easier weather was with another pilot in the right seat, (or left, if you count my helo time).

What's with the radio master switches?

Nice flight and report. Thanks!

I did a fair amount of my early flying in NJ. Now I have the advantage of starting most flights in the boonies so I'm warmed up before doing the NY Class B Boogie. I might have to move if I regularly had to do IFR departures out of Lincoln Park.

If you can fly that in a Lancair 360 sans AP, you can do it in anything.

The most important tool on any good IFR flight is a good pair of sunglasses!

What's with the radio master switches?

They're redundant switches. I leave the 2nd one off so if the first fails, I'll know about it. As I type that, it would be better to have both on during flight, then at end of flight, shut them down one at a time and note issues at that time.

Even after having the plane for 4 years, I'm blown away by its performance on nearly every flight. It's such an absolute pleasure.

I won't say it's a forgiving airplane, but it doesn't throw any surprises at you and is rock solid through a fairly staggering range of speeds. Fly the numbers in the pattern and it's a ***** cat. Miss the numbers by much and it kicks you in the wobbly parts fairly quickly.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I've been meaning to post here for a long time.

They're redundant switches. I leave the 2nd one off so if the first fails, I'll know about it. As I type that, it would be better to have both on during flight, then at end of flight, shut them down one at a time and note issues at that time.
I have dual avionics masters in my Baron and only have one on at a time since they're both toggle CBs and with two on the current required to trip would be almost double. Then again each has it's own 6 ga wire to the bus so a short probably wouldn't hurt anything.

I'd say your current methods are just fine and I see no advantage in having both on. First, switches usually fail when you turn them on or off, a failure while just sitting there in the on state is probably less likely than your Lancair getting hit from behind by a 172. Second, if that one in ten billion chance strikes you'd lose your radios for a few seconds while you turned the other switch on.

I have redundant avionics master switches in the 310. Only use one at a time. They're nice to have.

Nice write-up. I appreciated your decision to make a calculated move against a small negative of trace ice. I think you made the right decision!

turning the ram air on and off when going in and out of precip, and monitoring inlet air temperature (carb temp), employing carb heat, etc. I cannot stress the importance of having a carb temp gauge in non-fuel injected aircraft that flies IFR. The double whammy was having to kill ram air each time I fire up the carb heat! I did one but not the other and wondered why the carb temp didn't budge.
Hello

I have a 235/320 Lancair. I do not follow what you mean by doing one without the other; thought carb heat did kill ram air and was the alternate air in these. It is in mine at least.

I put an old Navaid AP1 and Altrak autopilot in mine years ago and does greatly reduce the workload even VFR. They are available very cheaply these days from guys looking to upgrade to the glass EFIS's with incorporated autopilots; even more advanced autopilots are fairly reasonable for us experimental guys. Something to consider.

I have an STEC-30 in the airplane, but am not happy with it's performance. Not happy enough to reap the real benefits of having a perfectly-working autopilot, at least. I use it briefly to reach for far away items, and to verify its operation and stay current on the most common modes of operation, but that's about it.

I've worked hard to become proficient enough at flying the airplane that hand flying in IMC is not an impossible task (although 2+ hours straight was tiring, I won't lie). I do intend to get the a/p checked out, though, for a couple of things that bug me about it.

Regarding the ice, I should be clear, there was a long gap between the first exposure to ice and the decision to climb to 11. My earlier exposure to ice was at 8-9k in colder air, which dropped me down to 7k. Later on, things warmed up, and I was able to get higher and on top at 9'ish. Those tops start getting a bit higher, though, and that's when I had to make the call...climb or go down. I chose to climb, knowing I had a perfectly good out down below.

I think what helped the most was yelling "come on, baby!!!!!" towards the top of the climb. Trading speed for a zoom climb was a gamble (especially towards the end of the zoom, but I know the plane well and I was still good at 120kias...just....not for much longer!!). I was thrilled that it paid off and was never quite so happy to be in the sun.

Regarding ram air and carb heat...my set up is such that if I have ram air on, carb heat is completely ineffective (asserted by my mechanic during a follow up discussion, and evidenced by the carb air temp on the JPI engine monitor).

I have suffered 2 engine failures from carb ice in this airplane (one at 11,000ft, one at 3,000ft) prior to mentally processing the fact that I have a perfectly good carb temp read out on the JPI! A significant amount of workload on this flight was managing carb heat and ram air (crazy as it sounds). Seeing the -2 carb temp while it was +6 outside was a sobering experience in light precip!

On the bright side, my plane has never been cleaner after all that precip at 230mph :)

Regarding ram air and carb heat...my set up is such that if I have ram air on, carb heat is completely ineffective (asserted by my mechanic during a follow up discussion, and evidenced by the carb air temp on the JPI engine monitor).

I have suffered 2 engine failures from carb ice in this airplane (one at 11,000ft, one at 3,000ft)
I still do not follow. If my ram air is on, by definition my carb heat is off as the carb heat valve shuts off the ram air. Maybe the design changed somehow between the 235 320 and 360 series airboxes.

A engine failure in one of these is quite concerning. It is not exactly an off airport or STOL friendly design. I have around 800 hours on mine and have not had a complete engine failure. Lost a cylinder, had a throttle stick, blew off an exhaust pipe at flange, had a chunk of spinner depart in flight, alternator seizure causing belt to smell of burning rubber in cabin, gear not go up, gear not go down, EFIS roll inverted in IMC at 50 foot AGL right after takeoff and a rare engine roughness suspicious of carb ice but never complete failure...for which I am very happy.

It is interesting you have experienced this. I fly IFR and hardly ever touch my carb heat, as in almost never, and have not had the issues with my setup as you have had with yours.

My navaid / altrak do leave a little to be desired also. The navaid will drift off centerline then overcorrect with wind not aligned on my course. The altrak is not connected to the navaid and will get off altitude occasionally as well as when the navaid directs a heading change.

Attachments

• airbox.jpg
    airbox.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have an STEC-30 in the airplane, but am not happy with it's performance. Not happy enough to reap the real benefits of having a perfectly-working autopilot, at least. I use it briefly to reach for far away items, and to verify its operation and stay current on the most common modes of operation, but that's about it.

I've worked hard to become proficient enough at flying the airplane that hand flying in IMC is not an impossible task (although 2+ hours straight was tiring, I won't lie). I do intend to get the a/p checked out, though, for a couple of things that bug me about it.

Regarding the ice, I should be clear, there was a long gap between the first exposure to ice and the decision to climb to 11. My earlier exposure to ice was at 8-9k in colder air, which dropped me down to 7k. Later on, things warmed up, and I was able to get higher and on top at 9'ish. Those tops start getting a bit higher, though, and that's when I had to make the call...climb or go down. I chose to climb, knowing I had a perfectly good out down below.

I think what helped the most was yelling "come on, baby!!!!!" towards the top of the climb. Trading speed for a zoom climb was a gamble (especially towards the end of the zoom, but I know the plane well and I was still good at 120kias...just....not for much longer!!). I was thrilled that it paid off and was never quite so happy to be in the sun.

I'm not sure your level of experience with icing, so please don't take this as a jab but just some extra information for you and some food for thought.

My first question is what were the tops to begin with at your point of origin? Was there a reason why you didn't want to try to climb through them in the first place? Obviously if it was a thicker layer of potential icing then that's a good reason, but it sounds like you were playing with it for a while before deciding to just go through and get on top. The thing is, by that point the tops were higher and so you also had less horsepower to get yourself on top. If you were going to penetrate a potential icing zone, earlier would probably have been better. And I do agree that getting on top is nice if you can do it.

Trading airspeed for altitude is a risky gamble, especially if you're starting to pick up ice. You are now a test pilot of your new airfoil configuration. The "come on baby" approach can work, yes, but I've also had the 310 try to stall on me with ice, a good 30 kts above stall speed, in a power on stall, so having some margin above stall according to your ASI may or may not actually help you. I can't imagine ending up in a stall and potentially a spin in a Lancair in IMC. That sounds likely unrecoverable, even though lower air would be warmer.

It sounds like it was a good flight and good choices, just some things to consider when you're tangling with ice.

Back