Challenging approach for practice

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Anyone have a favorite challenging approach they'd like to post? I'd like to do some practice today or tomorrow. (I've done most of the Colorado approaches.)

Ben,
Do you fly them locally or on the SIM ? I got to shoot the ILS-23 @ FDK on Friday. Man there were a lot of planes there, both on the ground and in the air.

jdwatson said:
Ben,
Do you fly them locally or on the SIM ? I got to shoot the ILS-23 @ FDK on Friday. Man there were a lot of planes there, both on the ground and in the air.
Ooops. For some reason I assumed that people would know I meant sim or MSFS. Re-reading the post, I don't know why I would've thought that. I've never flown in CO.

Yep, the one think I don't like about FDK is that it is very busy, many types of aircraft, and many airspeeds. Easton seems better.

I've flown some practice approaches from other areas using local frequencies. It's kind of neat if the MDA/DH altitudes are high enough. Lately, my SIM time has been very limited.

Try these approaches:
KRHP RNAV Rwy-8: The missed portion is scary with all the terrain.
2A5 VOR Rwy-2: runway is only 40' wide (add crosswinds for fun)
KAVL ILS-34: I haven't flown this one in much IMC, WX at minimums yikes !

wangmyers said:
Yep, the one think I don't like about FDK is that it is very busy, many types of aircraft, and many airspeeds. Easton seems better.

I think that's why ATC puts everyone thru EMI to get spacing and a handle on all the different types. What had me working hard was I knew there were 3 172s in the pattern practicing landings. I'm pretty sure one pilot was just going to fly his pattern irregardless of the other traffic. He called his base at the same time a twin was on final. I'm not sure how close it really was, but on the radio it sounded pretty close. The haze was so thick, I'm surprised that students were out practicing. Especially facing east into the sun. I held my clearance until leaving the FAF.

On monday morning, it was much more sane.

Last time I went into FDK, I requested (and got) the GPS-5 approach. Transition over MRB. Avoids the EMI hassle.

Ben, on the simulator, fly the DCA LDA-19 approachs. The LDA-6 into Roanoke, Virginia is fun, too. Last I knew, you don't need to file a FRZ flight plan to fly the DCA approach on a simulator. B)

Re: Maybe not so challenging in the conventional way, but...

Maybe this isn't what you're looking for, but it's interesting to me. How weird would it be never to change altitudes through the whole approach including the missed? In fact you could come all the way from SOLDE without changing altitudes.

NDB/DME or GPS-A SUN

How about the ILS 13 at PVU. Short leg of FFU to intercept DME of PVU to intercept the ILS. Did this one cold when severe turbulence was reported over the mountains. Since then it's a good sim approach because you need to really keep the radioes set correctly.

Joe

Re: Maybe not so challenging in the conventional way, but...

Everskyward said:
Maybe this isn't what you're looking for, but it's interesting to me. How weird would it be never to change altitudes through the whole approach including the missed? In fact you could come all the way from SOLDE without changing altitudes.

NDB/DME or GPS-A SUN

I flew the gps approach into Sun Valley last winter. It's a similar profile. It descends from 8600 to 7100. (Airport is at 5300.) What made it somewhat interesting was that Approach keep me at 10,500 until about ten miles from the runway. Can you say slam dunk??

LOC/DME BC 21@HOM (Homer, Alaska, PAHO)

DME arc followed by back course with DME (different freq) stepdowns, followed by tracking the front course out for the missed (still reverse sensing) and a hold at a DME intersection. Also high terrain in the area.

Back