Challenges of Running an Aviation School Business?

Once you get a student (aka, a customer) in your system, always market to them additional opportunities to expand their knowledge and them spending money with you. AKA, create brand loyalty.

US Aviation at Denton, TX is where I got my PPL. Great facility, aircraft, instructor. But absolutely no interest in keeping me spending my aviation dollars with them. They are very wrapped up with their contracts to train overseas pilots (mainly from China) in their Part 141 professional pilot program and exhibit no interest in training local domestic students as Part 61. They are right here on my home field and it would be great to use them for CP and CFI. And we have a large local pilot population who would also seek out a "within 15 mile" solution for advanced training. But he doesn't want us. And he doesn't want Part 61 folks like me to return and spend money with him.

So a successful school owner needs to market to his existing customer base and encourage them to return. Hosting the free WINGS seminars, sending out mailers, offering deals on block rental rates, etc. The existing student already knows and appreciates your brand. So you should do what's necessary to keep him informed of what more you offer and the high value of staying with you versus a competitor.
I'm not sure that's necessary. I think it can be annoying. I don't really bother past students to push follow up training. Maybe for a bigger school, but not so much at the small fry level.

I'm not sure that's necessary. I think it can be annoying. I don't really bother past students to push follow up training. Maybe for a bigger school, but not so much at the small fry level.
:) Still think you and I should meet in person someday.

Most flight schools are run by horribly inept "businessmen" that know squat about concepts like marketing, and especially, customer service.

And most pilots don’t know squat about running a flight school, but are always ready to give their opinions.

They are very wrapped up with their contracts to train overseas pilots (mainly from China)

( ^ old message, written in 2019)

I wonder how that flow of Chinese students has held up in the current Pandemic environment? -Skip

( ^ old message, written in 2019)

I wonder how that flow of Chinese students has held up in the current Pandemic environment? -Skip
Yet to hear or see anything from the local school. But since they have 90% of their eggs in that basket, I do expect some effect to happen.

Back