Challenger Jet down in Truckee CA 7/26/21

Very eye opening and scary. There's a lot to be learned from this accident

Wow.

The decision to circle to land was taken in an ad hoc manner. No briefing of the procedure, or discussion of a go around. The aircraft was high and fast when the descent was initiated from about 35 miles out, and there was no specific communication about that changing that until the stall and spin occurred.

Flying through the runway centerline and "tightening up" the turn has caused many crashes in lesser aircraft. This professional crew in a jet made the same mistake, and considering the plane was in a 37° bank, rolled over and went in just .8 miles from the threshold, one has to wonder if the FO's not so subtle needling of the CA turned the approach into a "I'll show you how it's done" affair by both pilots. The FO sealed the deal when he deployed the spoilers.

Just unbelievable that this type of thing can happen with two "professional" pilots in the cockpit. The poor passengers had no idea what was happening up front and their fate.

Just unbelievable that this type of thing can happen with two "professional" pilots in the cockpit. The poor passengers had no idea what was happening up front and their fate.
It would be interesting to see the company's hiring and crew pairing history, both in general and with this crew in particular. Also, besides the total time reported by the NTSB their individual flying history would be interesting.

The FO sealed the deal when he deployed the spoilers.

Yep, if they hadn’t have done that and they’d let the nose drop when they steepened the bank up they would have probably been a-okay. I’ve only flown into Truckee a handful of times, but I have seen lots of interesting “techniques”. It feels mighty claustrophobic in that valley when the weather is crappy.

Back