Challenge Air

Jeffythequick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeffythequick
My youngest daughter, her brother, and Mrs. Thequick got to fly in Challenge Air at KPAE this weekend. The pilot lets her fly the plane, and she did great until she pushed forward. Then, she gave the controls back to the pilot, and said, "OK, I'm done. I don't want to hit the ground."

Thank you to all of the pilots out there that give back. I plan that, when I'm through my training, I get to participate in these events. Seeing the look on the kids' faces when they get back down is worth it.

Reviving this thread. Got a chance to fly today at the Challenge Air event in Denver at KAPA.

What a great group of people and a wonderful event. I'll be back next year.

947cb93a6270dcf045ad48263b5fa4b4.jpg

6aac7b7f97c2d8f5e52da08fff1f8c08.jpg

One of my airplane co-owners cranking up for a flight. We both flew four sorties.

42adf46e1768e4a98eed72af494de9e6.jpg

Last I heard about 75 kids flown, 11 aircraft.

Tower basically tried to hold 10/28 for us all day, with about a 20 minute flight for each kid, with winds calm we could depart 10, return 28 and go directly to the XJet ramp. XJet sold fuel at their cost to participants and donated their big hangar and ramp. Jeppesen supported the group with a significant donation and the weather couldn't have been better. Mid 70s and dead calm.

Beautiful day to fly the kids. I had a big spectrum of ability with one young man so sleepy from being up late last night having a seizure that he dozed off about halfway around the 20 minute flight, to a young girl who I literally let fly the plane from liftoff until nearly the landing with almost no help at all from me other than pointing at landmarks to fly toward. With the load capability of the 182 we could always load the kid up front and usually a parent and a sibling in the back which is great fun when much of the family can come along and join in the fun.

One red haired young man was my "pitch oscillator" all the way around until short final when mom said, "Okay son, please let go so the pilot can land the airplane!" Hehehe. He was fine, and I could easily overpower him one-handed and he was just having a blast. My co-owner had the flight with the kid who was so excited he was asking anyone and everyone with an event shirt on all sorts of great questions and that didn't stop on the flight.

I wish I had the CFI ticket. I would have gladly handed the young girl a beginners logbook and signed it as her first flight lesson. She did great.

We all also got a huge kick out of the young man in a "race" wheelchair complete with wheelie-popping safety wheel, he was zooming around better than any of us old farts could walk, and having a blast.

Well worth looking up this group and volunteering if you have one of their events near you. Their time requirements are fairly high which limits the number of pilots, but talk to them and they'll work with you.

Our chief pilot for today's event was Tom Letts from Jeppesen and he did an excellent job on safety and planning. Kudos!

The local Rotary Club handled feeding all the volunteers and also did a great job. They couldn't do it without them!

Aviation can get kinda lame if we never share it with anybody. Glad they had a positive experience!

125.JPG 452.JPG 461.JPG 011.JPG 015.JPG 034.JPG 032.JPG I have been flying the Challenge Air event at Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport for about 9 years. It is one of the most impactful things I can do with my airplane! Although each of the kids reacts to the flight in different ways, most of them really seem to enjoy it. In addition, the parents and siblings seem to have a great time and truly appreciate what the pilots and crew do to make the day so special.

I can't wait to do it again this Spring!

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

I fly young eagles but not challenge air, as much as I'd like to. For me, the issue is insurance. Don't know what the policy is now, but a few years ago when I was asked (by Tom), I called thr CA HQ and was informed they don't carry and liability insurance on the flights. Every other non-profit I fly for/with carries insurance in addition to mine. And their's kicks in before mine does.

We live in a litigious society, as my little cousin the ambulance chaser reminds me.

I fly young eagles but not challenge air, as much as I'd like to. For me, the issue is insurance. Don't know what the policy is now, but a few years ago when I was asked (by Tom), I called thr CA HQ and was informed they don't carry and liability insurance on the flights. Every other non-profit I fly for/with carries insurance in addition to mine. And their's kicks in before mine does.

We live in a litigious society, as my little cousin the ambulance chaser reminds me.

I don't want to sidetrack the thread too much, but that is a huge issue for me, as well. I am getting to the point that I really am concerned about doing the charitable flying that I do, regardless of how much I love doing it and how much it helps people.

No matter how much insurance you carry, it isn't enough. Much less, the trauma of you or your family having to litigate if an accident occurs.

I am not sure what the solutions is, but it is something that has already curtailed my charitable flying and has me questioning whether it makes sense for me to fly them at all.

Abram Finkelstein,
N48KY

Back