CFI's: Would You Advise Your Student to Fly with a Broken Attitude Indicator?

If you torture the numbers long enough they will tell you whatever you want to hear. Zackly what kind of "research" did you undertake?

Is it possible that whatever broke the attitude indicator could be a symptom of something else, like:

* A belt or other piece came lose and could damage the engine?
* An electrical issue?
* Something else I don't know?

Is it possible someone might accidentally fly into IFR and need an attitude indicator?

Do unpredicted IFR conditions sometimes materialize out of nowhere?

Yes, of course! Those who think this is ONLY about needing an attitude indicator miss the point. I don't use it either.

But I am not qualified to diagnose why an attitude indicator failed. If you are, more power to ya'. If not, well, my recommendation: Consider not flying.

Also, do the research (which I have now done)...there are known cases of vacuum issues starting in one place, spreading to other systems, and causing BIG problems.

Considering the attitude indicator has no electrical parts nor belts, that "research" tying AI failure to those faults is HIGHLY suspect.

Most of these aircraft have only one belt, and there isn't much it can do besides break or slip and slowly discharge the battery.

Don't you know....he's talking about the anti-gravity belt!

For what it's worth, I took off on a day VFR flight and my attitude indicator failed about fifteen minutes in to the flight. Then I realized my vacuum pump failed. I really had no issue with the loss of the vacuum equipment, but I didn't know the mode of failure. I knew my engine (TSIO 360) had a solid shaft coupling geared to the engine to drive the pump. For all I knew there could be a gaping hole where the shaft was with oil spewing out, so I opted to return. Fortunately that wasn't the case, but....

Good decision in retrospect. I was just thinking of what kind of havoc a popped belt to an alternator could cause in a similar kind of situation. Better to get on the ground and see what's up. Not exactly the same situation but i think i would want to take a look too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Good decision in retrospect. I was just thinking of what kind of havoc a popped belt to an alternator could cause in a similar kind of situation. Better to get on the ground and see what's up. Not exactly the same situation but i think i would want to take a look too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

These belts aren't made of hardened steel. They compress and shred, and aren't likely to do anything but flip the voltage annunciator.

There is ONE moving part on the outside of this engine. It's not like your car that has several other spinning accessories, a harmonic balancer, flywheel, and a belt driven water pump that will now fail.

I would make sure my student understood the vacuum system, and how to tell the difference between a failed instrument and a failed pump, and how that particular system is almost completely irrelevant to the type of flying he or she will be doing while solo. I would stress the procedures required to be completely legal, as per the Minimum Equipment List, if applicable (such as an INOP sticker and note in the maint log.)
I would also posit that a solo student pilot flying the airplane soley by reference to instruments is an emergency far more hazardous than anything that can be caused by the vacuum system or any of its parts! And, lastly, if there was any confusion remaining, on our next light together, I would cover up everything except the altimeter and the clock and stress what's really important on the instrument panel.

Back