CFII lesson plans

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I made my own lesson plans for CFI and enjoyed the process, but I don't think it's either necessary or there's much to be gained by doing it for CFII. The knowledge is fairly regimented and so are the courses. Does anyone have recommendations of existing CFII lesson plans to use and/or purchase?

Not a direct answer to your question, but note that it's an optional task (as in optional for the DPE to require it, and they usually won't) to present a lesson on the checkride for an additional CFI rating. If you need one could you just make one up on the spot? I only made lesson plans for some of the instrument airwork. As an aside, although I had a binder full of lesson plans on my initial CFI, the examiner asked me to present on a topic I didn't have a plan for so I had to write one on the spot anyway.

What does your instructor say? It’s his signature in your logbook.

I require all my CFI applicants to complete their own lesson plans. There a whole lot more to teaching instrument holding procedures than ground reference maneuvers…

Last edited:
Another vote for Backseat Pilot.

I don't think creating a set of lesson plans from scratch is necessary or even a productive use of time. If the CFI training me required it, I'd find a different one. CFII is 90% self study and preparation.

Another vote for Backseat Pilot. I made my own for CFI, got those for CFII.

Another vote for Backseat Pilot.

I don't think creating a set of lesson plans from scratch is necessary or even a productive use of time. If the CFI training me required it, I'd find a different one. CFII is 90% self study and preparation.

But you better know how to create one, because you will probably get tested on it at the checkride.

I did buy mine from Backseat Pilot, but I thoroughly went through and adjusted them as I saw fit as a way of learning the material better.

At the checkride I didn't use the "binder", except to double check I covered everything on the lesson I was assigned by the DPE to write on the spot and teach.

I was assigned by the DPE to write on the spot and teach.
While I heard this does happen, it’s not a mandatory thing.

My DPE’s focus was on quality of teaching and transferring information. I had all the required lessons ready in PowerPoint and used those to teach what was requested. And he was happy with that.

No impromptu request to generate any lessons.

However, I do agree with knowing the material and the method well enough that if you are asked to create something, you are able to do so.

But you better know how to create one, because you will probably get tested on it at the checkride.

I highly doubt it. I'm pretty sure he already has his initial CFI. I don't know anyone who has spent any time being tested on FOI topics after the initial CFI.

He'll be tested on teaching a topic related to instrument instruction, not graded on lesson plans.

I require all my CFI applicants to complete their own lesson plans. There a whole lot more to teaching instrument holding procedures than ground reference maneuvers…
While the backseat pilot lesson plans are good, I'm just not learning the material by staring at it and practicing teaching has made me fumble through. So going forward I'm just using them as a template, but I will be modifying them/making my own so I can re-learn this material.

Back