CFIcast #014 - CFIs on Ice! - 2008.02.21

pilotcast

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
The Pilotcast
CFIcast #014 - CFIs on Ice! - 2008.02.21

Enjoy listening and learning as you eavesdrop on the Hangar Flying conversation with Certified Flight Instructors!

The CFIcast #14 CFI panel:
  • Your host: Rick Durden, CFI, Aviation lawyer and author of "The Pilot's Lounge" column on AvWeb.com and articles for AOPA Pilot and Aviation Safety, from Grand Rapids, Michigan
  • Special guest CFI Scott Dennstaedt, CFI, a former a NWS Meteorologist, creator of the "Ice is Not Ice" seminar on CD. Scott is an IFR magazine contributing editor, writer for Plane and Pilot, Pilot Journal and Twin and Turbine. FAA-certificated instrument flight instructor with about 3,500+ hours, currently teaching in technically advanced aircraft. Scott helped the Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association develop a pilot proficiency program and helped the Columbia owner's association develop a recurrent training program. Scott also does one-on-one aviation weather training with pilots via WebEx.
  • Kate Bernard, CFI, from Neenah, WI who just earned her multi-engine CFI rating.
  • Greg Bockelman, CFI. A 777 pilot for a major airline and owner of a Cessna 195.
  • Dr. Bruce Chien, M.D., CFI, Senior Aviation Medical Examiner from Central Illinois, host of the AMEcast
  • Tony Condon, CFI, student and glider pilot & instructor from Ames, Iowa
  • Ron Levy, CFI, a Professional Instrument Courses - P.I.C 10 day course instructor from Maryland
Topics discussed by CFIcast Certified Flight Instructor panel:
  • Teaching students about flying in Icing Conditions
  • Scott Dennstaedt on The Skew-T diagram to predict icing conditions
  • Do CFIs teach flight in actual ice?
  • Tools to evaluate icing conditions
  • Should CFIs give student an exposure to actual ice?
  • Should the CFI share a healthy respect and avoid ice with students?
  • If the CFI demonstrates an ice encounter is the student likely to think an ice encounter is tolerable on try it on their own?
  • If the student gets a scare from ice on a dual session
  • Teaching a known ice capable aircraft.
  • Appreciating students who do proper preparation.
  • Teaching how to evaluate where the ice would be.
  • What the CFI's ethical obligation to give students an exposure to ice?
  • How do pilots evaluate their own competence?
  • Teaching instrument students that they can't always expect to be able to fly.
  • Can you teach the discipline and judgement required.
  • Teaching the student what to do if they have an ice encounter.
  • Can the CFI just brief the student on what to do in an ice encounter without giving an actual experience?<
  • Will the simulator work to simulate ice?
  • The aircraft's performance in ice is hard to predict. They aren't required to tested in ice.
Recorded Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:07:00 - 30.7MB

Download .mp3 audio file directly at the link here:
http://pilotcast.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=310821

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike - excellent!

if you got that one out that fast, the rest should be out soon, right!? :)

Mike, I've had my iPhone for a couple of weeks now and I really enjoy listing to your Podcasts. I will listen to this one when I am sitting in the spam can on my way to Vegas tomorrow. Thanks!

Back