CFI without a Medical

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
So, received an interesting e-mail from my flying club this week.

An elderly CFI want to join the club and provide free instruction to PIC students. This way he can keep flying even tho he can no longer be PIC.

I'm guessing this will only work as long as his CFI credentials are current. Do you need to qualify as a PIC to be a CFI if you're flying with a student who's already claiming PIC?

No a cfi does not need to hold a medical to teach as long as the student is legal to act as pic.

But come time for his CFI renewal, is he able to do so if he can't act as PIC?

Sounds like a pretty awesome deal for all.

He can't do primary instruction or things requiring PIC (i.e. Flight Review when the student is not current) but for most of what rated pilots need, no problemo....

Can't do any hood instruction. I would think if you are already PIC, that would be an important part of any "refresher".

Did a BFR with an old friend ,CFI without a medical. Was fun and I actually learned a lot. He realy enjoyed slow flight,anyone can fly fast.

Can't do any hood instruction. I would think if you are already PIC, that would be an important part of any "refresher".

Why not.

If the pilot under the hood is pic the safety pilot only needs to be a certificated pilot.

But come time for his CFI renewal, is he able to do so if he can't act as PIC?

You can renew a CFI without flying. I've done my last 3 renewals online.

In the club, can also be used to teach ground schools, conduct safety seminars (CFI not required) and to ground supervise solo students.

Last edited:
If the club has a certified ATD this CFI can teach instruments on that. Also I don't think a CFII has to be at a "control station" when teaching instruments to someone qualified to act as PIC so maybe he could teach two instrument students at the same time from the back seat with one acting as the safety pilot.

If the club has a certified ATD this CFI can teach instruments on that. Also I don't think a CFII has to be at a "control station" when teaching instruments to someone qualified to act as PIC so maybe he could teach two instrument students at the same time from the back seat with one acting as the safety pilot.

The rules don't actually require the flight instructor (unless he is a required crewmember) to be at the controls in ANY circumstance. Instruction just requires DUAL controls. You're confusing the rules for the throwover control wheel (which by the way were expanded to also cover flight reviews in addition to instrument training).

...many former airline pilots who can no longer maintain a medical are instructing new airline pilots in Level D simulators. Just throwing that out there for added info.

The rules don't actually require the flight instructor (unless he is a required crewmember) to be at the controls in ANY circumstance. Instruction just requires DUAL controls. You're confusing the rules for the throwover control wheel (which by the way were expanded to also cover flight reviews in addition to instrument training).
I wasn't thinking about throwover controls (which I don't have in my Baron because dual controls are still required for simulated instrument flight). It is true that 91.109 only requires that dual controls (or a single throwover wheel under certain circumstance) be present when instruction is being given and doesn't specifically state that the instructor or anyone else actually occupy the seat with the second set of controls, but I don't think the FAA would look kindly at a CFI who was giving flight (i.e. not instrument) instruction from the rear seats with no other pilot sitting at the second control station.

...many former airline pilots who can no longer maintain a medical are instructing new airline pilots in Level D simulators. Just throwing that out there for added info.

True. Although instructing in a simulator for a Part 121 program doesn't require having a CFI either.

True. Although instructing in a simulator for a Part 121 program doesn't require having a CFI either.

Correct. I have a friend who was in that situation. He finally after years of 121 operations for United, went back to get his CFI so he could teach his boys (now of age to get their tickets) to fly. Prior to that all the "instruction" he had done was in the airline training center (he was down medically for a brief time after a cardiac event before he got cleared to fly again).

Back