CFI vs. Sport-CFI

calberto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Calberto
I currently have 200 hours. I am going to be flying this summer as an instructor in a champ. Our flight school has a 172 also, but I'd have to finish up my commercial license also. Should I just focus on my sport-cfi for now so I can start flying asap? What are ya'll's opinions?

Congratulations! My flight school is probably 85-90% sport pilot/tailwheel training. We really hammer on that niche. Nice write up too; very helpful.

Took the written for the sport CFI rating,never took the flight test,as sport is not that popular in my area. If you have a customer base ,then go for it.

I currently have 200 hours. I am going to be flying this summer as an instructor in a champ. Our flight school has a 172 also, but I'd have to finish up my commercial license also. Should I just focus on my sport-cfi for now so I can start flying asap? What are ya'll's opinions?

I'd get your full CFI.

You'll offer a far more valuable and requested product.

Congratulations! My flight school is probably 85-90% sport pilot/tailwheel training. We really hammer on that niche. Nice write up too; very helpful.
Thanks! The regular CFI will open a lot more opportunities. If you can knock it out, it will be a lot more valuable.

If you get your CFI-SP, start instructing/building time/making money, and then get your commercial, is the CFI-A just an add-on rating?

That would seem to be a good route to me.

Last edited:
Even if all you did was instruct in an LSA, having a regular CFI would allow your students to count the instruction towards a private certificate at some point in the future if they wish. Which, I would think, would make them less likely to look somewhere else.

Back