CFI Training without a medical?

So you’re saying that taking the checkride in a sim requires an approved 142 sim course trumps the requirement for an approved 142 course to take the checkride in a sim?

sorry...got that backwards.

either way, it’s not the DPE’s choice on how to do the checkride.

I am not sure I am understanding your first statement correctly. It reads like the same statement was made twice in a different order, so I can't follow. Either way, I agree with your last statement that its not DPE choice and needs to be part of the approved curriculum of a part 142. The main difference that I can tell between 61.183 & 61.64 (applicable to practical test in a sim) is 61.183 requires 142, & 61.64 requires 141 or 142. If I have it backwards, please correct me, but I agreed that the more restrictive 61.183 trumps 61.64 because it is more applicable to a flight instructor.

I am not sure I am understanding your first statement correctly. It reads like the same statement was made twice in a different order, so I can't follow. Either way, I agree with your last statement that its not DPE choice and needs to be part of the approved curriculum of a part 142. The main difference that I can tell between 61.183 & 61.64 (applicable to practical test in a sim) is 61.183 requires 142, & 61.64 requires 141 or 142. If I have it backwards, please correct me, but I agreed that the more restrictive 61.183 trumps 61.64 because it is more applicable to a flight instructor.
61.183 is more restrictive in that it has to be a 142 program, but it doesn’t “trump” 61.64...both regs apply. One says you have to have a checkride that may be conducted in a sim if the proper conditions apply. The other outlines conditions under which you can do a checkride in a sim, but is broad enough to encompass all checkrides.

and since this whole “trumping” discussion started with a quote regarding a DPE’s choice in the matter, it seems to me that’s the thrust of the discussion, and in no way does 61.183 differ in that regard.

Last edited:
and since this whole “trumping” discussion started with a quote regarding a DPE’s choice in the matter, it seems to me that’s the thrust of the discussion, and in no way does 61.183 differ in that regard.

The DPE choice thing was me and only related to who’s PIC on a practical exam in an aircraft, and it was inaccurate for the requirements of a CFI ride. :)

So you’re saying that taking the checkride in a sim requires an approved 142 sim course trumps the requirement for an approved 142 course to take the checkride in a sim?

sorry...got that backwards.

either way, it’s not the DPE’s choice on how to do the checkride.

Either way, you are not going 141 and doing a CFI practical test with a simulator.

Either way, you are not going 141 and doing a CFI practical test with a simulator.
If that’s your argument, you should make it right away instead of posting vague ******** as a response to something entirely different.

Last edited:
If that’s your argument, you should make it right away instead of posting vague ******** as a response to something entirely different.

It was better than your suggestion to attempt to convince a DPE to act as PIC on a test the FAA would have rejected.

It was better than your suggestion to attempt to convince a DPE to act as PIC on a test the FAA would have rejected.
Where did I do that? The statement I made (that you quoted) was that the DPE didn’t have the choice of giving the checkride in a sim.

Last edited:

I literally posted minutes before you attacked @MauleSkinner saying that was me and a mistake.

Still hung over from last night, or what? LOL.

Okay Everybody. I am extremely grateful for all the input. I found the answers I was looking for, thanks to all the knowledgeable comments. For the most part, I think everything was right on point to what I was asking. The way I read it, we all came to the same conclusion. We just arrived at the answer on different paths and have a slightly different viewpoint on certain "slang" words or phrases. Isn't that what makes a forum work?

Back