CFI training tax deductible?

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Here's a question for folks about the tax laws regarding educational expenses and/or business.

I've got a one-person LLC providing aviation related services. It's essentially a way to keep expenses separate.

I know the tax laws don't allow you to deduct educational expenses for a NEW line of work, but they do allow you to deduct expenses that maintain or improve your job performance.

So - as I see it, getting the CFI, or a type rating, should be deductible as it will improve my job performance, making it easier to do more aviation related service work. The WINGS flights, King Courses, and Medical also allow me to maintain or improve my job performance.

Anybody ever have experience with this, preferably with the IRS agreeing?

Tim, as you mentioned, education deductions (even if they lead to a degree) are deductible if the education (1) maintains or improves a skill required in the taxpayer's employement or other trade or business, or (2) meets the express requirements of the taxpayer's employer, laws or regulations, imposed as a condition to the employement.

However, the costs are not deductible if (1) they are required of the taxpayer in order to meet the minimum educational requirements for qualification in the taxpayer's present employment, trade, or business, or (2) qualify the taxpayer for a new trade or business. It doesn't matter whether you in fact enter that new trade or business; just whether or not it qualifies you for a new trade or business.

There is an example in the Treasury Regulations regarding the minimum educational requirements that might be close to being on point to your situation:

Treas. Reg. Sec. 1.162-5(b)(2) example 2:

D, who holds a bachelor's degree, obtains temporary employment as an instructor at University Y and undertakes graduate courses as a candidate for a graduate degree. D may become a faculty member only if he obtains a graduate degree and may continue to hold a position as instructor only so long as he shows satisfactory progress towards obtaining this graduate degree. The graduate courses taken by D constitute education required to meet the minimum educational requirements for qualification in D's trade or business, and, thus, the expenditures for such courses are not deductible.

Regarding the qualification for a new trade or business, consider the following:

Treas. Reg. Sec. 1.162-5(b)(3) examples 1 and 2:

Example (1). A, a self-employed individual practicing a profession other than law, for example, engineering, accounting, etc., attends law school at night and after completing his law school studies receives a bachelor of law degree. The expenditures made by A in attending law school are nondeductible because this course of study qualifies him for a new trade or business.

Example (2). Assume the same facts as in example (1) except that A has the status of an employee rather than a self-employed individual, and that his employer requires him to obtain a bachelor of laws degree. A intends to continue practicing his nonlegal profession as an employee of such employer. Nevertheless, the expenditures made by A in attending law school are not deductible since this course of study qualifies him for a new trade or business.

So I would suspect that these two provisions would be tough to overcome in order to deduct the costs of obtaining your CFI. On the other hand, I would think a type rating may be deductible - but you should check with your tax advisor for a definitive opinion. For example, the regulations say that the change in duties of, say, a classroom teacher in one subject (i.e. mathematics) to classroom teacher in another subject (i.e. science) does not constitute a new trade or business.

Yeah - it sounds like the key point would be whether flight instruction is a new business. If it is a new business or the minimum qualification for the business, it's not deductible.

However, I've lost FERRY jobs because I wasn't a CFI, and the client wanted a CFI to ferry the airplane and instruct the new owner at the same time. So I've got documented proof that having a CFI certificate is an enhancement to the ferry business.

If nothing else, once I get the AGI and am a qualified aviation instructor, getting "enhanced" to a flight instructor might be more acceptable to the IRS, and the same logic would apply to the II and the MEI.

The IRS is worse than the FAA when it comes to individual and regional discretion - I remember my mom got audited and 5 IRS auditors couldn't agree - finally it came down to tax court where she won.

Stan,

If I interpret your post correctly, my cost of acquiring my CFI ticket is not deductible. But, the CFII and MEI would be deductible?

Is there any scenario under which I can deduct any cost I've expended previously this year other than my moving expenses to take the new job?

Stan,

If I interpret your post correctly, my cost of acquiring my CFI ticket is not deductible. But, the CFII and MEI would be deductible?

Is there any scenario under which I can deduct any cost I've expended previously this year other than my moving expenses to take the new job?

It seems like a matter of interpretation, but one could take the position that your II and MEI would simply be an expansion of your existing credentials. I don't know if or how this has been ruled upon in the past, so that could change my thoughts on it.

As a commercial pilot in the business of being a commercial pilot, I would assume nearly all of your flying-related expenses would be deductible, except for any personal costs incurred. That would include BFRs, instrument currency, checkouts, etc. PM me if you have some specific questions. (But I'm going to be out of town for the next week & don't know about my internet access, so it may be a few days before I can respond.)

Thanks, Ron - it's clear that the IRS would likely think being a CFI is a new trade to a commercial pilot.

But the II and MEI should be deductible, as should a type rating (since the type rating on your commercial cert allows you to expand both your flight services and instruction services).

It really depends on how narrowly they define your business. Some of the examples about a guy being a flight engineer and that's NOT a pilot really smelled bad - but they were a long time ago.

Back