CFI Training Help

iRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Hi all,

I am training for my CFI-A and I am having trouble with Lazy 8's and 8s on pylons. I have spent about 5 hours on them and I am getting nowhere. Does anyone have any tricks/tips on how to do them? I dont want to spend 10 more hours on them. Ugh. I almost stopped training and went back home, but i am going to give it a few more days. I was worried about the oral but the maneuvers appear to be my weakness. Thanks!

What are you having problems with? Understanding how/why the maneuver works or actually doing it?

And what does your instructor say? It would help if you could tell us what the errors are... Are you having trouble flying the manuever or describing it while demonstrating it?

I am having trouble flying it. I dont know what my problem is this time around. I can explain it and I presented a lesson plan. I am off on my 45 and 90 degree banks. I am holding the controls constant instead of keeping them changing. I am so upset and my cfi and in are at a loss for reasons.

Well then quit holding them. On the lazy eight your bank and pitch are always changing, but not very quickly.

If you're holding something then the only good reason is that you're doing so because you're waiting on something else. Perhaps you are holding your bank because you're trying to descend and you're waiting on that. Well that means you needed to descend more aggressively prior to that and you wouldn't be having to hold bank.

Remember. It all changes. Constantly. If things are't changing then it's because you screwed the other thing up.

The above advice is worth what you paid for it.

Study the manuever - understand how wind direction effects them - understand your airplane - then grab a chair, 2 hours of time with no one close by and no cell phone close by.

Close your eyes and fly each manuever - talking out loud - in teaching mode - do it like it was real - if you screw up - dont stop and fix it - keep going - make sure the pace you are doing it at is just as if you were flying it - do 5 of each - do everything from takeoff to landing - pick your points - clearing turns - setup airplane - airplane cleanup after each manuever.

It will take you 2 hours each time you do it - it will help you immensly in the air.

Once you are in the air - you will make mistakes!! That is part of the learning and teaching process - take this oportunity to evaluate what caused the mistake - what it would take to not let it happen again - what it would take to spot the mistake early as it happens and how to correct it - talk your instructor thru it as though he was a primary student.

I am having trouble flying it. I dont know what my problem is this time around. I can explain it and I presented a lesson plan. I am off on my 45 and 90 degree banks. I am holding the controls constant instead of keeping them changing. I am so upset and my cfi and in are at a loss for reasons.
Again, how did you do it for your CP-ASEL? What's different now? And yes, the control forces and positions are constantly changing throughout both maneuvers, which is the whole reason they're part of the test -- to show mastery of the aircraft.

You did pass them once already, so you should know how to do them. If you can explain them in detail like a CFI should be able to do them sounds like you just need to practice. You might be with a great CFI who is explaining it well, but maybe a change could help you out. Even if its for a few hours it could help to have someone else look at what you are doing.

I was way too heavy with the controls. Today was better as I let the plane fly. Eights on pllyons are bugging me a bit but I hope tomorrow will be better. My commercial training was lacking and now I understand why the maneuvers are finesse maneuvers.

Back