CFI training has begun!

kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Everyone told me "Well, y'know, the first time flying from the right seat, it'll seem really weird, but it'll get easier, and sooner or later, it'll be just as easy as anything!"

I think this should be revised to: "Well, y'know, the first time flying from the right seat, it'll be like everything you know about piloting has totally evaporated, and you're an primary student again, wondering things like 'What do those things down by my feet do again?'" Yeesh.

Didn't help that I tried it first on a mildly windy/gusty day (11G15), when my instructor had canceled but I was already at the airport and wanted to give it a shot anyway. Husband-pilot sat left seat while I staggered around the pattern feeling barely hanging on. Yes, pattern work was probably not a good way to start either. :) Battled competing voices in my head: One said, "Don't worry, it's a bit gusty and it's your first time sitting over here!" while the other said "11G15 is not that windy, it's something any self-respecting pilot should be able to handle, and the reason you're s#*t at this is because you're a s@!t pilot!"

Second experience, with actual instructor. Airwork first: nice and slowly-paced, doing fine. Still battling "left hand/right hand" muscle memory problems. A particularly bad one is for stall recovery, where my muscle memory is "right hand full forward!" which of course yields a nice view of a window full of trees, and my instructor saying "uhhhhh... let me demonstrate one and then let's try it again..." Then some touch and goes, which were not quite as embarrassing as with husband-pilot, but still pretty awful. Got that sensory-overload sensation, where the instructor is monologuing a constant stream of "more left rudder, more to the left..." but all I can hear is that Peanuts adult-voice going "Mwua-wua. Mwua-wua-wua..." and thinking "Gee, look at that runway getting closer!" I remember that sensation from my early private training days, when everything Seemed Just Too Much Going On. <sigh>

Apparently, although my right (throttle) hand knows the difference between a "small nudge up or down in power" and "OMG punch it!" power, my left hand has yet to learn the difference. Muscle memory is a curious thing indeed.

Next lesson in 1.5 weeks.

It will get easier. In less than 10 hours you will be as proficient in the right seat as you are in the left. You have to stop thinking "I'm flying from the wrong seat!" and start thinking "I'm just flying an airplane". Once you get comfortable flying the maneuvers then you'll get to teach them... just keep talking and you will be fine. The more you talk the better off you'll be. Good luck!

Remember, as long as you feel comfy with it, you are 100% legal to fly from the right w/o a CFI.

95% of the CFI is all self study.

Hey Kath, long time no see! Congrats on getting the CFI started. I need to do that one of these days...

Cool. Keep us posted.

Switching seats was easy for me in the twin and a total pain in the butt in my own Skylane.

But as others have said, it comes along pretty quick. Once you feel safe doing so, just go out solo and make some landings and it’ll work out.

In my case it was a feeling that the nose was pointed too far left when it wasn’t so I’d try to land it left main first and crooked. Also felt like I was tipping to the right slightly when level.

In the twin, no sense of that at all. And didn’t have enough muscle memory to break with the hands in that airplane.

In mine a couple of times I just crossed hands to fix whatever I was messing with. Haha. It works if you have to do it. :) Doing that I just couldn’t press the PTT on the right horn of the yoke for a second while I sorted it out. Hahahaha.

It gets a whole lot easier copying clearances from the right side when you are left handed.

I dunno, when I started from right seat it wasn't too bad. Guess I adjusted fairly easily. @kath I would say after 5-10 hours over "there" you'll be fine. Good luck on your training, the CFI world is very interesting these days and CFIs are in demand. Ya won't get rich doing it, but I personally think it's very rewarding to help people achieve their goal. I still enjoy watching a student solo.

Back