CFI Training and jobs in South Florida

Francis A

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Francis A
Hi

There is some talk of pilot shortages and CFI shortages. I am having an impossible time trying to locate a flight School in South Florida, which would not only be able to complete my CFI course but who would be willing to employ me should I be successful. why you may ask.?

I am British and getting a green card is absolutely impossible unless an employer does this for you. Most schools shy away from even answering ones emails if work is mentioned.

According to a friend of mine here in Spain where I live, who is American from Kansas, he says that this green card issue is "no big deal" for an employer.

I also see that a Spanish Instructor did manage to get a flight school to employ him in Florida, this was on a Spanish forum, he however does not reply to mails, since it was posted 6 months ago.

Does anyone on this forum have ANY ideas, contacts, links or anything which could perhaps help me to locate a school who may be willing to help.

I am a 60 year old pilot, with past airline experience, so now I am not looking at hour building and not looking to leave for a bigger job, I am looking to pass on 35 years of experience, by becoming a full time professional CFI and wish to live in Florida.

Any ideas :mad2:

Call Aston over at KHWO he could possibly get you pointed in the right direction.
954-732-7991.

Hello Francis, the very mention of needing a green card will have any potential employer running for cover....I'm sorry but unless you can offer a service that is unique that can't easily be carried out by a U.S. citizen you are going to hit many obstacles in order to get the elusive "green card" these days.

I'm British with property interests both residential and commercial here in Florida, both my wife and myself are in our 60s and very much enjoy the Florida lifestyle, we are self sufficient financially but the best we can achieve is a visitors visa which restricts us to spending 6 months a year in the U.S. and although we pay US taxes on our property earnings we still can't get full residents status without jumping through a lot of hoops.

My advice would be to buy or start a business that way you can apply for residential status but it will be reviewed every 24 months to make sure you are keeping to the strict guidelines regarding your business activities, maybe go fly for a school on the side but I wouldn't recommend trying to start a business as a freelance CFI to obtain your visa, there are no serious shortages of CFIs here in Florida that I've noticed ...the problem most CFIs have is earning a living wage.....

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but that's just the way it is unfortunately.

Good luck

Its not that much of a problem for an employer to help you to get a green card. I would like to know what the "lot of hoops" are. My wife got her green card within 6 months and her citizenship in 3 years.

The biggest problem is the cost. Our latest administration secretly and quietly raised the cost of immigration 1000%.

And as stated above there are many, many eligible instructors in the US starving for work.

Good luck to you. I am sorry I was not able to give any advice that would help you.

Plenty of qualified US CFIs.

I have heard of people comming to the US and getting their CFI and a student work type of visa, this allowed them to CFI for X amount of months, but was not a green card.

I would be both surprised and disappointed if my government gave you a full on green card to work as a CPL or CFI, especially with the state things are in aviation wise and job wise over here.

Its not that much of a problem for an employer to help you to get a green card. I would like to know what the "lot of hoops" are. My wife got her green card within 6 months and her citizenship in 3 years.

The biggest problem is the cost. Our latest administration secretly and quietly raised the cost of immigration 1000%.

Do you happen to be a U.S. citizen if so then maybe that went some way to fast tracking your wife getting a green card ?

I only know from personal experiences even though I'm paying my taxes to the IRS on the profits from my property portfolio I have to operate under strict visa rules, And my son in law who started a company here in the U.S.even though he is allowed to work his wife my daughter is not allowed to work...even within the family operation, she and the kids have residence visas but that's it no more than that.

Apparently some nationalities can come to the U.S. to live and work without too much hassle....but that does not extend to Europeans ...

Maybe I should rephrase that, find a school who would be willing to help with work for say 6 months after completion of a CFI course in order to gain some sort of experience to then move on elsewhere.

Plenty of qualified US CFIs.

I have heard of people comming to the US and getting their CFI and a student work type of visa, this allowed them to CFI for X amount of months, but was not a green card.

I would be both surprised and disappointed if my government gave you a full on green card to work as a CPL or CFI, especially with the state things are in aviation wise and job wise over here.

I keep reading that there is a desperate shortage of pilots in the USA, I see many job adverts, also have read that there is a shortage of Instructors, so what really is the truth ?

Apparently US airlines are introducing incentives to get pilots to come back from Mid East and Asia, but its not working out.

Maybe I should rephrase that, find a school who would be willing to help with work for say 6 months after completion of a CFI course in order to gain some sort of experience to then move on elsewhere.

Okay Francis this may change things a little, although not with getting the elusive Green Card or whatever they call it these days.

Maybe Tailwheels can help you, but it won't be on a work in exchange for CFI training deal, you will need your own funding to get your CFI ticket.

I did all my primary training with Tailwheels and they do have a lot of "younger" foreign students who come in on a student visa to work on their Commercial / CFI ticket, some stay on for a few months to get add ons or hour building then go back to their own country to seek a career in aviation, most are from Central America but a few from Europe find their way to Tailwheels.

It is worth a call and talk to John Amundsen he will tell you straight if anything can be done for you to meet your mission

Have you considered sneaking in via our southern border? That seems to be the preferred entry method for the current Administration. At that point you're simply an "undocumented" worker and there are entire cities that will "look the other way" if you're discovered.

Good luck!

P.S. Since you're in Spain presumably you speak some Spanish. That's a bonus using the above method.

Have you considered sneaking in via our southern border? That seems to be the preferred entry method for the current Administration.

Not just this administration. The previous one was just as bad. I've heard that more deportations have occurred under the O admin than under the B admin, but don't actually know if that is true.

Have you considered sneaking in via our southern border? That seems to be the preferred entry method for the current Administration. At that point you're simply an "undocumented" worker and there are entire cities that will "look the other way" if you're discovered.

Good luck!

P.S. Since you're in Spain presumably you speak some Spanish. That's a bonus using the above method.

Not just this administration. The previous one was just as bad. I've heard that more deportations have occurred under the O admin than under the B admin, but don't actually know if that is true.

Cute. Turn this into a worthless political diatribe thread instead of a useful one that answers an honest question. Way to go.:rolleyes2:

Good luck!

Actually I am in the Canary Islands from where Christopher Columbus left in 1492 to discover the Caribbean, so I could knock a few trees down, build a boat and try to follow his arrival route, perhaps reach the Keys on a SE trade wind and claim I was on a mission for the King of Spain

Actually I am in the Canary Islands from where Christopher Columbus left in 1492 to discover the Caribbean, so I could knock a few trees down, build a boat and try to follow his arrival route, perhaps reach the Keys on a SE trade wind and claim I was on a mission for the King of Spain

..And if you arrive on the beach in Key West at sundown the assembled cannabis crowd will believe you .....:rofl:

I keep reading that there is a desperate shortage of pilots in the USA, I see many job adverts, also have read that there is a shortage of Instructors, so what really is the truth ?

Apparently US airlines are introducing incentives to get pilots to come back from Mid East and Asia, but its not working out.

Alas the pilot shortage,

There is no shortage of pilots, just a shortage of jobs which pay enough to attract good applicants.

Pound for pound I'd wager the US has a higher pilot population the any other country.

@Francis:

The chances to get a Greencard as a CFI are pretty much nonexistent, due to the strict requirements, but also because companies are hesitant to go through all the trouble with lawyers, tons of paperwork and expenses, only to see the employee leaving the moment he holds the Greencard in his hands.

What might however work, is to get a working visa for a few years. You would still need an employer to sponsor it, but the process is easier and linked to the sponsor, what ties the employee to the employer. There should be plenty of information about the requirements on the internet, I would assume that other pilots took the same route.

In parallel, I recommend to get familiar with the 'Diversity Visa program', also know as Greencard lottery. It takes place once a year, participation is free and the chances of winning are small but realistic. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/entry.html.html

Marrying an American is of course also an option... :D

Last edited:
Ok thanks every one for the comments and help.

One more question does anyone know of a flight school called TAKE FLIGHT, in Fort Lauderdale ? any comments on training quality ?

One more question does anyone know of a flight school called TAKE FLIGHT, in Fort Lauderdale ? any comments on training quality ?

Never heard of them.

Tailwheels etc is really the easy choice in FL.

ATP PRACTICAL CHECK RULES

I Have my cpl mel faa license , my ATP written is valid til april2016, im looking for an school and instructor in order to take in florida or long beach california , JUST my ATP PRACTICAL CHECK when i asked about they say that not all schools are capable and authorized
I insist that only i need is a check in a single engine or muli engine proficiency and my check with an FAA INSPECTOR not a CTP training as the rules shows and mention after july 31 2014,if not written was passed before that date, who can refer me an actualized instructor please?or school... someone who understand what im talking about:mad2:

Last edited:

The only experience I have with Take Flight is through the Meetup group that they sponsor. A couple years back I joined in a fly-out with my club 182. They set me up with a very nice couple to share the expense of the flight.

http://www.meetup.com/Fort-Lauderdale-Flying/

More to your point, Flight Safety in Vero Beach might be just what you're looking for. They will give you free flight instructor training If you agree to work for them for two years. I spoke to them about doing my CFI up there and they offered that to me but I'm not interested, at my age, in tying up two years of my life. They mention that offer on their website.

Edit: see the PCAS program below.

http://www.flightsafetyacademy.com/fsa_recruiting.php

Last edited:
Hi

There is some talk of pilot shortages and CFI shortages. I am having an impossible time trying to locate a flight School in South Florida, which would not only be able to complete my CFI course but who would be willing to employ me should I be successful. why you may ask.?

I am British and getting a green card is absolutely impossible unless an employer does this for you. Most schools shy away from even answering ones emails if work is mentioned.

According to a friend of mine here in Spain where I live, who is American from Kansas, he says that this green card issue is "no big deal" for an employer.

I also see that a Spanish Instructor did manage to get a flight school to employ him in Florida, this was on a Spanish forum, he however does not reply to mails, since it was posted 6 months ago.

Does anyone on this forum have ANY ideas, contacts, links or anything which could perhaps help me to locate a school who may be willing to help.

I am a 60 year old pilot, with past airline experience, so now I am not looking at hour building and not looking to leave for a bigger job, I am looking to pass on 35 years of experience, by becoming a full time professional CFI and wish to live in Florida.

Any ideas :mad2:
The age is the fact no one contract a senior pilot in USA thats 4 sure

Francis, I just noticed your age and, FYI, that's about my age too. Flight Safety was very interested in me even given my age and I'm sure that they would be very happy to have you on their staff given your experience.

The age is the fact no one contract a senior pilot in USA thats 4 sure

For your problem, Google

ab initio ATP training
(or ab initio ATPL training)

Flight schools that offer that are probably able to perform what you are looking for, whether they will do so is another story but you should be able to find one that will.

Last edited:

I have dealt with employment based green-cards a bit and I don't see how employment as a CFI would qualify under any of the employment based categories (EB1-EB3). The EB green-card process can take a year if it is quick and 10 years if it is slow.

One of the basic concepts of employment based green cards is that you already have to have the qualification required that the employer uses to justify employing you vs. someone who is already here.

That said, some flight schools could sponsor you for a student visa (F1 or M1) for the duration of your flight training. There is a visa category called OPT which allows someone who completed a degree on a F1 visa to work for I believe one year. But that is if you graduate from college, I am not sure whether getting a FAA certificate qualifies under that program.

The J1 program is for graduate students an allows for 'work study'. I believe some flight schools use that to sponsor CFIs. The 'hook' with the J1 is that it can obligate you to return to the UK for 2 years after you are done with 'training'.

The main temporary work visa is the H1b. But that requires a 3 year degree applicable to the job and comes with very high fees to the employer. Not sure a flight school would spend that kind of money to add a CFI. If they do, you are good for up to 6 years. There is a cap on the number of H1bs that are issued to for-profit corporations.

There are very few visa/green-card categories that apply to people who 'just want to live in FL'. Many european expats who live in FL do so in 6 month chunks on visitor visas and visa extensions. If you want to work, things get much more complicated.

There are some options for folks who are in a position to start a company that has a number of full-time employees. So if you are in a position to BUY a flight-school, you may qualify under one of the enterpreneur visas. Those require you to run the company for iirc 10 years before you can get a green-card that way. If the immigration service reviews your records and you dropped below the number of people you agreed to employ, they pull your GC. This works reasonably well if you buy an established hotel, with the volatility in the flight-school market, I don't see this as a good option.

Are you single ?

Last edited:

You would have to find a school that can petition for you to get an h1 visa. If the write well enough they can press for a j1 visa. Green card, you have an easier chance if you come in as a refugee. Especially depending on what country you are from.

Back