CFI teaching in students plane insurance question

crash7

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Crash7
I typically only teach in the club that I belong to (and have insurance under). Another person on the field has asked me to train him in his personal plane (PA28). I told him to add me as a named insured on his policy.

I just got a copy of the new policy. Has verbiage like “The Certificate Holder is included as an additional insured but only as respects operations of the Named Insured.
With respect to physical damage coverage, the Company agrees to waive its rights of recovery against the Certificate Holder.”

Being new to this, what exactly does that mean? ‘...only as respects operations of the Named Insured’?. It specifically mentions ‘physical damage’. Does that mean the liability/medical limits could be pursued from me? I’m listed as a Certificate Holder. Owner is listed as named insured.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I typically only teach in the club that I belong to (and have insurance under). Another person on the field has asked me to train him in his personal plane (PA28). I told him to add me as a named insured on his policy.

I just got a copy of the new policy. Has verbiage like “The Certificate Holder is included as an additional insured but only as respects operations of the Named Insured.
With respect to physical damage coverage, the Company agrees to waive its rights of recovery against the Certificate Holder.”

Being new to this, what exactly does that mean? ‘...only as respects operations of the Named Insured’?. It specifically mentions ‘physical damage’. Does that mean the liability/medical limits could be pursued from me? I’m listed as a Certificate Holder. Owner is listed as named insured.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would interpet that as you are only covered when flying with the named insured. You cannot use this aircraft for teaching others.

Hard to say without seeing the policy, but it seems they may be only waiving their subrogation rights with respect to hull coverage, and not liability to third parties. So they're expecting you to have your own liability policy.

That's a good deal. I'd be happy. It just means you can't go fly his plane with someone else, or solo and expect coverage.

That's a good deal. I'd be happy. It just means you can't go fly his plane with someone else, or solo and expect coverage.
This.

And if you find yourself working more as a freelance instructor, I’d also entertain the idea of CFI insurance.

Back