CFI style not helping, but unsure if I should switch

A

Anonymous

I have been a little unlucky in my first rounds of flight lessons. First CFI I had was perfect for me, I was able to understand information he gave me, and his corrections, and he answered my questions even if most likely some of them were "dumb". He had to move on though, and stopped instructing at our club. Next was a person that had a schedule that conflicted almost totally with when I could fly. Had one lesson with him. Then came a temporary CFI that I really could work well with but he was booked up.
So my CFI. Very nice guy on the ground. A very experienced and super respected pilot in our school. But he stresses me out, and gives me the feeling I cannot do anything right, while still giving me good grades on debriefing. I respect him totally, and know he is an excellent pilot.

I'm wondering though if I can work with him. I find myself dreading the day when I go to fly, and even flying has been less enjoyable. I can't put my finger on it, he doesn't shout, but he "hacks", or reacts very strongly with corrections. This is not in critical phases of flight like landing, this is just in general. He may not even mean it. Even just checklist, there is kind of a "snippy" attitude, I really respect doing checklists, but some of the points are written badly to the point where it can be confusing what is meant. The few times I tried to get clarification in the first lessons "does this mean X or Y?" he just answered very quickly with "just do the checklist!"

In flight corrections also, and I don't know if there is a purpose, but with maneuvers I need to take it in steps, get used to the basics, then combine them. Sometimes he will just repeat a command, and I realize I have been gripping the yoke really hard...I back off and ease up, but it is a feeling like I can't do anything right, or that I'm just hopeless.

He is so well respected, and I am not sure if I should be able to "suck it up" and take instruction, but I cannot shake this feeling. We have some communication problems, even now to setting up a new lesson, ambiguous answers when I was asked to "send me some dates when you can fly". For all I know maybe he wants to drop me. That would be ok.

I just don't know when to broach the subject (after we finally get a lesson?) or if I should let him know that I need it a little calmer in the cockpit to be able to take in the information. Right now I feel he throws so much on me all at once I never get a chance to "center" and relax and "get it". Even when flying to the practice area, plane trimmed, keeping course, I am just waiting for a quick command, and expected to do it perfectly right away. I'm not there yet.

Up until now, it had been going well. Also, I think he is very impatient. He gives me information and commands very quickly, sometimes I need to let information sink in or ask a little more to understand. I don't feel comfortable anymore doing that.

I have to do something, I don't think realistically that I can go the distance with him unless he can temper his manner or style of teaching. I know he has a lot to teach.

The other thing is, when I ask questions I sometimes get an answer, other times not, or it is dismissed. And then too there are things like preflight check. Our plane is old, and I have been taught to really do the preflight. If I find a ding on a wing, there may be a sticker next to it saying it is "reported" and has been looked at. But when I find a similar one with no sticker, am told "ah, that looks like it's been there for a while".

Rather than asking the instructor to change his teaching technique,you should find one more to your liking.its your money,if your not happy ,your wasting money and time.

Find another instructor with more patience. Learning to fly should be fun. There is plenty of stress just doing to maneuvers you don't need any additional stress from the instructor. And don't feel you will hurt his feeling if you change to a different instructor, YOU need to feel comfortable with the instructor.

A CFI should never brush off a student's questions. If I, as a CFI, can't answer a question, I tell the student I'll research it and get him the info. I also encourage students to text me if they think of something away from the airport. It works well, and I'm never short on praise along with correcting the student.

I would suggest sitting down and open up with the instructor with your feelings and complaints. Often this is successful by the instructor realizing they aren't providing what they should. If the instructor isn't open to a sit down, or you're dissatisfied with how it went, then it's time to find another. You should be comfortable with a CFI and able to express your concerns to the CFI. A CFI should never brush off a question or ignore you.

Good luck to you!

9241b7d34abb75b18649032a6d778063.jpg

I didn't really mesh with any of my instructors, but I just kind of grinned and bore it, and adjusted myself to make the best of it. I've found a couple since my checkride that are fun to fly with. I've learned a lot more with them. I really didn't learn much from the others, I kind of figured it all out myself despite them.

But he stresses me out, and gives me the feeling I cannot do anything right
I find myself dreading the day when I go to fly
Fire him immediately. There are so many crappy instructors out there it's infuriating. You are paying literally thousands of dollars to learn something, you don't want a bad fit to ruin flying for you and burn through your piggy bank

Fire him, and if he asks you why be totally honest with him, that he made you dread flying.

Independent of any questions about his techniques, I would suggest just switching. You can explain that it just doesn’t seem to be working for you, and don’t need to provide any explanation at all. Sometimes the match just isn’t right for a reason no one can quite put their finger on.

Thanks. Yeah, I really can't see me going through all the hours it's going to take.
I'm not sure how to broach it. If I ought to call him up, or wait until we next get a lesson, mention it before we go up.
I think it is just his style. Even if I talked with him about it, and he kept it in mind for a lesson, I have the feeling it wouldnt be long before it was back to that. He may be perfect for a different type of student than me.
I was struggling with trying to figure out if I had unreasonable expectations. It's not like I'm a hothouse flower, I don't need a ton of "attaboys", but calm (unless situation where "calm" isn't appropriate) instruction helps me focus and get it, and enjoy it.
I had with some other instructors a kind of mutual feeling that we are in it together to teach me to fly, but with a little mutual respect. Obviously, the CFI is the mentor with the knowledge, the teacher, and I am a student and I do all I can to prepare, learn, and focus.

So out of respect for my current CFI I'm thinking that next lesson, I will have to just bring it up preflight, ask if we can take it a little slower, easier. Or else just mention when it happens while flying. I'm just not sure what to say to him to convey that while I really, honestly, respect him, I get more stressed by his style of teaching which makes it harder for me to advance, that I can't focus as well when I feel stressed and as if I am constantly falling short.

Again, it's weird for me, he snaps at me, and then alternates and gives me good marks (some where I was very sure I was not good enough, didn't have "it") but also at times he gives instruction VERY fast as if I were more advanced than I am, and other times I get instruction that is totally the other way, as if I didnt know things that I believe I have shown that I do know.

I just am not sure what to say to the guy. It's just not a good fit for me.

It's just not a good fit for me.

I think you just said all that needs said.

Learning to fly is more akin to on-the-job training than academic study and the interaction with the instructor is critical to the process. If it doesn’t work for you move on.

I'm just not sure what to say to him to convey that while I really, honestly, respect him, I get more stressed by his style of teaching which makes it harder for me to advance, that I can't focus as well when I feel stressed and as if I am constantly falling short.

I just am not sure what to say to the guy. It's just not a good fit for me.

Be honest with your instructor, and tell him how you really feel. Look, just hit your CFI with it, they can take it. Then either your CFI adapts to you, or YOU go find another CFI.

Be honest with your instructor, and tell him how you really feel. Look, just hit your CFI with it, they can take it. Then either your CFI adapts to you, or YOU go find another CFI.
I think this is the best advice. He might not realize that he is coming across as snippy and that he is upsetting you during lessons. If he changes his attitude after you talk with him, then great. If not, then definitely, find someone else.

Agree with the folks who say tell him and see how he adapts. If he doesn’t adapt, move on.

I’m a newbie at this but ALL of my old instructors with any significant experience have stories of students they mutually decided to switch to a different instructor who got them through their learning curves and checkrides just fine.

That’s a lot more common of a story than a student who nobody can teach, but there’s a few of those out there too. :) Don’t be that student.

Not every instructor can adapt to every student.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back