CFI signing off questionable flight

I specified the given scenario was legal and one I have done many times. You do need to be careful about who the student invited and why, thus the possible scenarios that might run afoul of 91 ;)
It’s none of my business who’s on the airplane and what their relationship is with the owner. You ever flown corporate? Did you make it a habit to ask the guy signing your paycheck to explain his relationship with everyone on board?

It’s none of my business who’s on the airplane and what their relationship is with the owner. You ever flown corporate? Did you make it a habit to ask the guy signing your paycheck to explain his relationship with everyone on board?

Actually it can become your problem. If the owner is holding out and offering carriage on their aircraft, you as the PIC can become involved in the illegal charter operation. I know of one of our operators that had to have a talk with one of their clients who thought he could turn a quick buck selling unsold seats on his own trips in his aircraft.

Actually it can become your problem. If the owner is holding out and offering carriage on their aircraft, you as the PIC can become involved in the illegal charter operation. I know of one of our operators that had to have a talk with one of their clients who thought he could turn a quick buck selling unsold seats on his own trips in his aircraft.
When you say operator are you referring to a 135 certificate holder ?

You think the FAA will agree with the Sgt. Schultz approach with a STUDENT pilot? Part of your job is teaching them what they can and cannot do.
It’s like a merry go round with you. First you bring up scenarios that are not relevant to the discussion, to which I stupidly respond now you tie it back to a student pilot. Whatever.

plus. It’s not sgt schultz. It’s called boundaries and if I’m an employee flying an owner in their private aircraft there are limits to what I’m responsible for and the FAA respects those limits. Regardless of what you think. Much as you and others her profess about hearing about enforcement actions I have been the pilot of an aircraft where the owner was investigated for holding out. Guess who wasn’t held responsible. Yeah… this guy. It was the owners ass in a sling.

When you say operator are you referring to a 135 certificate holder ?

The FBO manages several private jets for owners, but yes they also do some 135 work as well. The aircraft in question was not part of the 135 operation. The owner just didn't know the rules.

As to the ORIGINAL question, I see nothing illegal about the operation. It would be legal as a commercial pilot, and if the CFI is providing instruction as well, doesn't matter. I myself have gone with a student pilot on a cross-country that was tied to a business meeting. It was a two birds one stone type of thing, he got a lesson in while turning a business trip into a shorter affair.

The FBO manages several private jets for owners, but yes they also do some 135 work as well. The aircraft in question was not part of the 135 operation. The owner just didn't know the rules.

As to the ORIGINAL question, I see nothing illegal about the operation. It would be legal as a commercial pilot, and if the CFI is providing instruction as well, doesn't matter. I myself have gone with a student pilot on a cross-country that was tied to a business meeting. It was a two birds one stone type of thing, he got a lesson in while turning a business trip into a shorter affair.
Being the holder of a 135 operating certificate and managing multiple part 91 aircraft changes the color of all interactions with the FAA. Those scenarios are very different than just being a hired pilot driving some metal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back