CFI Shennanigans - How does your CFI distract you during lessons?

Why? If he's stronger than her, all he has to do is push the yoke forward.
If he's capable of holding the yoke forward while he's sliding the pilot's seat back, maybe. But unless he's somehow assessed the student's strength I could see a strong possibility for a control fight at 50 AGL, something I'd definitely not choose to experience for real. It also seems possible that the student could make a very abrupt pullup, generating an immediate accelerated stall, again subject to the CFI's blocking rearward movement of his wheel. But remember the student could have both hands pulling hard while he's got one down by the seat latch.

In any case I fail to see what's being learned here. The seat lock failure can be simulated with the engine shut off without compromising safety or scaring the student unnecessarily.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd use clear tape, but definitely the tape idea. Also, sometimes loosening screws on an inspection plate, or at least simulating that. I've pre-flighted an aircraft right out of annual and found the trim tab inspection plate still off of a Cessna, and also had a bird in a similar situation with blue masking tape over the static port to keep it from getting wet when it was washed. Oh, and Piper cowlings can be made to look latched - when they are not!

Ryan

I found a lower cowl on a Cessna NOT fully attached during pre-flight. Previous renter had missed it (newly minted PP) and it had been rubbing on the spinner. All the way through the fiberglass. 6 screws was all that was missing (about 1/3 of total)

I always check that cowl now. And any other cowl, wing tip, nut, bolt.... etc.

As another distraction, have your student do the pre-flight, pull the heater plug, but leave the cowl plugs in. Then have them go back inside to retrieve something you "forgot". This works great in the winter.......when you can get something, and they want to follow because its Freaking cold out.

Ill bet $20, they forget to pull the cowl plugs when they come back out. (Been there, done that on a solo X-country;..........ALMOST started the engine)

It teaches you to do a final walk around, every time your about to get into the plane.

My instrument instructor only flew at night and IMC. He would turn off all the lights, turn off the pitot heat and blow smoke in my face from a cigarette.

I found a lower cowl on a Cessna NOT fully attached during pre-flight. Previous renter had missed it (newly minted PP) and it had been rubbing on the spinner. All the way through the fiberglass. 6 screws was all that was missing (about 1/3 of total)

I always check that cowl now. And any other cowl, wing tip, nut, bolt.... etc.

As another distraction, have your student do the pre-flight, pull the heater plug, but leave the cowl plugs in. Then have them go back inside to retrieve something you "forgot". This works great in the winter.......when you can get something, and they want to follow because its Freaking cold out.

Ill bet $20, they forget to pull the cowl plugs when they come back out. (Been there, done that on a solo X-country;..........ALMOST started the engine)

It teaches you to do a final walk around, every time your about to get into the plane.

That's why we stuck little red flags in our cowl plugs that stick up about 12".

That's why we stuck little red flags in our cowl plugs that stick up about 12".
My parents had a ribbon that connnected the 2 cowl plugs on their 182 which went around a prop blade. If you forgot to remove them, cranking the engine would do it for you.

My parents had a ribbon that connnected the 2 cowl plugs on their 182 which went around a prop blade. If you forgot to remove them, cranking the engine would do it for you.
Our club's cowl plug sets are designed that way. Of course it's not idiot proof as someone always manages to thread the ribbon over or under the spinner. It's one of our club president's favorite topics at the safety seminars we end our workbees with.

My favorite is the crowd wave on short final when sitting in the back seat of the 2-33 or Blanik. My CFIs and glider DPE all did that. Really annoying when you are in the flare, but on rides that's what's gonna happen most of the time anyway.

i've found that most students do a pretty good job of distracting themselves

If he's capable of holding the yoke forward while he's sliding the pilot's seat back, maybe. But unless he's somehow assessed the student's strength I could see a strong possibility for a control fight at 50 AGL, something I'd definitely not choose to experience for real. It also seems possible that the student could make a very abrupt pullup, generating an immediate accelerated stall, again subject to the CFI's blocking rearward movement of his wheel. But remember the student could have both hands pulling hard while he's got one down by the seat latch.

I think it goes further. I've never had a seat failure in an airplane but I have had one in a car. Veered to the left (left hand on the wheel pulled) lost power (right hand was on the shift lever, pulled it into neutral) and I had a difficult time with the pedals (could barely work the clutch to get it back in gear). No accident but if there had been oncoming or parallel traffic it could've been ugly.

Apply that to an airplane. During takeoff the pilot is going to have their left hand on the yoke, right hand on the throttle. When a seat goes it's highly possible than instead of simply pulling the yoke straight back you are going to turn and back off power too.

So the CFI is distracting himself with the pilot seat and suddenly the nose comes up, the plane rolls left, and the power drops off, all close to the ground. Right rudder to compensate for P-factor, which may also go depending on just how the seat moves, just adds to the fun. Sounds like a really bad combination.

I just can't see where experiencing any of that would be worth whatever gain might come of the lesson. Talking through it on the ground, maybe even pulling the seat back during a "simulated takeoff" while still tied down or in the hangar, may be good (especially if the student has short arms/legs), but during an actual takeoff? No thanks.

I haven't had a CFI do anything overly distracting in flight, which is good for the CFI. Had they, I would have explained that human beings are distractible by nature (which is the basis for almost all sleight of hand and more than a few good cons) and that their attempts at distraction would serve to teach me or anyone else absolutely nothing, though they might make the CFI feel that much better about him/herself. If such behavior continued, the CFI in question would be invited to no longer fly with me.

I just tell the CFI that I'm on to their tricks and am going to ignore them. If they do anything truly stupid then I'd invite them to get out and walk. So far that hasn't been necessary...

I had a CFI play with the trim on takeoff on a C-150. I trimmed off the back pressure and gave her a look that she found most amusing sice she was laughing all the way to pattern altitude. I think she was really seeing if I'd primarily fly the plane if something unexpected happened and if I understood what might resolve the problem. She also tended to wear tight tank tops so I was used to her being a distraction.

I just pass gas. It's eye-watering & devastating. If my student can power through that, they can handle anything.

Dropping pencils is for Nancys.

I just tell the CFI that I'm on to their tricks and am going to ignore them. If they do anything truly stupid then I'd invite them to get out and walk. So far that hasn't been necessary...

Ohhh, a tough guy huh? There's always one of you floating around....:lol:

Ohhh, a tough guy huh? There's always one of you floating around....:lol:

Not a tough guy sonny, just someone who knows the difference between right and wrong in training. From your previous post it is clear that you are wrong. There is never a need to be rude in training. Please keep your bodily emissions to yourself.

Night flight under the hood CFI had me look at my lap as he proceeded to put my stomach on the floor then told me to recover.

Still under the hood told me to fly direct to the VOR. I tried but the darn needle kept going the wrong way. Took me awhile to figure out that while my head was down he turned the DG 180 degrees.

Oh man! Thats a good one! I never would have thought to do that to someone. I'm not sure I would have immediately thought to check against mag compass either.

My primary CFI did the "lost" thing to me as follows:

1) Head in the lap, crazy maneuvers, etc...
2) ADF - Retuned.
3) Nav1 - Powered off (this was one of the King ones with the mechanical number dials and separate power for the nav/com sides, so it's not very obvious that it's off...)
4) Nav2 - Retuned and OBS twisted.
5) DG - adjusted to about 60º off.
6) "Okay, find us."

I caught all of it except the DG right away, but upon comparing what was on the sectional with what was out the window, I said "uhhhh.... Waitaminute... That road should be over there!" and then noticed the compass and DG disagreeing.

Fun stuff! :yes:

My primary CFI did the "lost" thing to me as follows:

1) Head in the lap, crazy maneuvers, etc...
2) ADF - Retuned.
3) Nav1 - Powered off (this was one of the King ones with the mechanical number dials and separate power for the nav/com sides, so it's not very obvious that it's off...)
4) Nav2 - Retuned and OBS twisted.
5) DG - adjusted to about 60º off.
6) "Okay, find us."

I caught all of it except the DG right away, but upon comparing what was on the sectional with what was out the window, I said "uhhhh.... Waitaminute... That road should be over there!" and then noticed the compass and DG disagreeing.

Fun stuff! :yes:

Well, it doesn't really count as a distraction, but my CFI did similar:
Night, under the hood, partial panel, unusual attitudes for about 30 minutes. Then, still under the hood, "Find us, find the nearest airport, take us there." I triangulated a couple of VORs to figure out where we were and the nearest airport, then flew to it using the VORs. CFI then says "When you are sure you are at the airport, turn on the rwy lights and take off the hood. I did, and looked out but didn't see the airport. Then I looked straight down and found it.

Did you try to say same thing to the examiner ? :D

Did she intentionally wear that to be distracting or was that just her normal way of dress (distracting or not)?
I'm guessing as a distraction. I'm told she only dressed like that when I was on the schedule.

Not a tough guy sonny, just someone who knows the difference between right and wrong in training. From your previous post it is clear that you are wrong. There is never a need to be rude in training. Please keep your bodily emissions to yourself.

Haha, Sonny. Wow, it's been a loooooong time since someone's called me that! I'm pretty confident I have a solid grasp about what's right or wrong in training. Relaxing and having fun with it is an important part. I love it when I get guys with your attitude for flight reviews, IPCs or other aviation adventures. It's kinda funny when they act all in charge and lay down the law during the first few minutes after we shake hands. :nono::D

Most of the time I don't have to lift a finger to create a distraction, they'll to it to themselves. I pull their weaknesses out of the oral and create scenarios based on them. The best realistic distractions are well, REALISTIC! Go figure.. What good is a review if it doesn't take you out of your comfort zone?

Haha, Sonny. Wow, it's been a loooooong time since someone's called me that! I'm pretty confident I have a solid grasp about what's right or wrong in training. Relaxing and having fun with it is an important part. I love it when I get guys with your attitude for flight reviews, IPCs or other aviation adventures. It's kinda funny when they act all in charge and lay down the law during the first few minutes after we shake hands. :nono::D

Most of the time I don't have to lift a finger to create a distraction, they'll to it to themselves. I pull their weaknesses out of the oral and create scenarios based on them. The best realistic distractions are well, REALISTIC! Go figure.. What good is a review if it doesn't take you out of your comfort zone?
Having met Clark, I can't really see putting the words "Clark" and "attitude" together.

I don't remember any specifics. I do remember saying "I gotta fly the airplane" a few times though. And his answer to complacency was to chop the throttle and tell me the engine just died.

With my latest trainee, I don't have to provide distractions -- he does it all by himself. We'll be flying towards the missed approach hold, and he'll start asking about what avionics upgrades I think his plane needs. ZING! goes the #2 CDI needle through the holding fix crossradial...

:mad2:

...and he's neither the only nor the first (nor in all probability the last) of my trainees to do that sort of thing.

With my latest trainee, I don't have to provide distractions -- he does it all by himself. We'll be flying towards the missed approach hold, and he'll start asking about what avionics upgrades I think his plane needs. ZING! goes the #2 CDI needle through the holding fix crossradial...

:mad2:

...and he's neither the only nor the first (nor in all probability the last) of my trainees to do that sort of thing.
So what did you advise him? Something with Synthetic Vision? Or did you advise him to take up a new hobby?

I just pass gas. It's eye-watering & devastating. If my student can power through that, they can handle anything.

Dropping pencils is for Nancys.

Real funny.

:no:

As a CFI I am a partner with the pilot in the left seat. I will treat him or her with as much respect as I expect in return. There's no need for Locker Room antics, unless you both enjoy that sort of thing.

Last edited:
I find a camera can be both a teaching tool, and an excellent distraction...

Ryan

I let my passengers take all the photos and videos. I agree, major distraction.

I once tried taking a cameraphone photo while in the pattern. Whatadumbidea.
And it wasn't even the shot I was trying to get:mad2:

I let my passengers take all the photos and videos. I agree, major distraction.
It comes naturally to me. I spent about a year working for an aerial photographer, and there are so many neat things to shoot, especially when you are constantly scanning to find them.

IMG_4651.JPG

Ryan

i took aerial photos of the construction site of my families new home while i was doing student solo flights.

Back