CFI ride piece meal

Look on the bright side, the ticket will be good until April 30, 2010 now, just by waiting til April 1.

I have to give you that. At least there is a positive side to this torturous process.

David

I honestly do not know. It is hard to say. Getting used to the sight picture from the right seat, getting used to the airplane itself and its controls, power settings, may be other little things I can't think of.

It would not pay for me to bother right now I think as the weather the rest of the week is crappy and the Arrow is supposed to be ready this Friday or Monday at the latest.

At this time, I would still rather stick with what I know already.

OK just thought if it was not too much time I might be able to convince my wife on a flight to build some hours down into Ohio.

Good Luck

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hope this cheers you up a bit dave...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some things in life are bad[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They can really make you mad[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Other things just make you swear and curse.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you're chewing on life's gristle[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Don't grumble, give a whistle[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And this'll help things turn out for the best...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And...always look on the bright side of life... [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Always look on the light side of life... [/FONT]

Pete

Any news on your CFI ride?

Still set up for Tuesday. No word on if the plane is fixed yet. I am going to talk to my CFI tomorrow about it.

And Tuesday is still forecast for showers and possibly thunderstorms.

David

My CFI just called, the plane is fixed properly this time and everything works. Going to fly her tomorrow for some practice and hope for completion of the check ride this week.

David

Well, I had to reschedule yet again due to high winds and threat of more rain today.

I am now scheduled for tomorrow morning at 10:30AM. The weather is supposed to be sunny with a light wind.

TOMORROW HAS TO BE THE DAY!!!!!

I have been waiting so long for the weather, planets, aircraft maintenance and whatever other issues to align properly for me. I hope that tomorrow finally does it.

Wish me luck! Tomorrow afternoon I should be a CFI.

David

All right, David! You've done the work, now just show you know it. Make it back to Kansas and I'll buy the BBQ next time!

Matt

Lots of aggrevation here Ray. Thanks for the encouragement! Will have to buy everyone in the chat room a beer. :fcross:

David

No luck involved.

You've done the work and suffered the aggravation. Now just go and get it done!

Tomorrow you will be a CFI:yes:

:blueplane::fcross:

Tomorrow Night

:D:yes::wineglass::cheerswine:

All right, David! You've done the work, now just show you know it. Make it back to Kansas and I'll buy the BBQ next time!

Matt

Hi Matt,

You are on! I miss that BBQ and the pilot dinners we had. I hope you guys are still doing that.

Who knows, I may make it back out there some time.

David

Good luck, Dave! Go get it done, and then come teach me how to fly! :)

David - consider the 'paying your dues' aspect of this. You'll have a considerable amount of experience (both good and bad) to draw on when you begin teaching others.

Matt

Good luck, Dave! Go get it done, and then come teach me how to fly! :)

You jsut passed your check ride and don't know how to fly? Oh boy! There's something really wrong here. :D

Thanks for the luck.

David

David - consider the 'paying your dues' aspect of this. You'll have a considerable amount of experience (both good and bad) to draw on when you begin teaching others.

Matt

Matt,

Sometimes I really think I have had enough of certain kinds of experience. Other experience is welcome.

David

You jsut passed your check ride and don't know how to fly? Oh boy! There's something really wrong here. :D

270,000 miles in 7 years thorugh snow and ice, racing, towing, New York, Swiss mountains (with a flatbed tow truck with a car on it no less) etc. with zero accidents, plus teaching others how, I don't know how to drive, either. I will always be learning how to drive and (now) how to fly, and as such you teaching me would always be welcome. :)

When I first started learning how to drive, a mentor of mine said "Every time I get behind the wheel I make sure I learn something new." He'd been learning how to drive for about 35 years at that point. I try to employ the same, especially when flying. So far I keep on learning new things and figuring out things to work on, but that's not too hard when you only have 57.5 hours. ;)

Now go pass that check ride! :yes:

Great attitude for learning more Ted!

David

270,000 miles in 7 years thorugh snow and ice, racing, towing, New York, Swiss mountains (with a flatbed tow truck with a car on it no less) etc. with zero accidents, plus teaching others how, I don't know how to drive, either. I will always be learning how to drive and (now) how to fly, and as such you teaching me would always be welcome. :)

When I first started learning how to drive, a mentor of mine said "Every time I get behind the wheel I make sure I learn something new." He'd been learning how to drive for about 35 years at that point. I try to employ the same, especially when flying. So far I keep on learning new things and figuring out things to work on, but that's not too hard when you only have 57.5 hours. ;)

Now go pass that check ride! :yes:

Well, if you are reading this, then you are not reading a "I just got my CFI" post from me because there is not going to be one, today any way.

I go to the airport and the gentleman that had a checkout in the Arrow right before my check ride time was starting the airplane up and I went into the club to drop my stuff off. I went back out to my pickup truck and on my way back in, the engine on the Arrow was shut down. This did not seem too good to me.

I gave him and his CFI a few minutes then I saw them tying the plane back down so I went out there to see what was going on.

Well, neither radio will transmit without a lot of staticy feedback and there is no side tone. This happens only with the engine running. Also, running the engine rpm up causes a buzzing noise in the intercom and gets worse with higher RPM. The radios work good with the engine shut down so there is an obivous electrical problem. Shutting off the alternator and mags one at a time makes no difference. Either the audio panel is bad or there is a wiring problem.

Having just flown this plane Saturday and no one else having flown it since, I was ****ed.

This ended my chance for a check ride this week as the examiner is not available until Monday at the earliest. The other examiner might be available, but the plane has to be fixed first.

So, things are on hold yet again and I know I can no longer live this way without a part-time job to keep some expense money coming in or I will run out of money to fly with.

Today is a beautiful sunny day with a light breeze, perfect for a check ride, but my bad luck does not care.

I am depressed about this and I do not understand why I keep having this bad luck. Something has to change. When will flying become fun again?

Before you say something, there is no other Arrow in town I can rent and switching aircraft models would be like starting all over again due to relearning systems and power settings as well as practicing the maneuvers to proficiency in a new airplane. Money is also a big barrier to this.

David

Last edited:
David, I'm sorry this keeps happening. I can imagine how frustrating it is.

My commercial ride had several delays due to mechanical issues, namely someone kept running the 182RG so rich, we could never clear the plugs. Then, someone abused the prop control and broke the cable. All that was bad enough. So, I have an idea what it may be like.

I hope they stand up and help you with this. It shouldn't be this bad.

radios dont fly airplanes! Get in the air!

:D

Dave, that beyond sucks. You really seem to have the worst luck in this. :(

On a side note, I wonder if this is an indication of an airplane to not buy? :confused:

Okay, enough is enough. You are now on my prayer list.

Rich

My CFI called me at 10:30 this morning to tell me that the radios are working fine and he and the shop are unable to duplicate the problem. Grrrrrrrr

There were 4 witnesses that the radios were crap.

He wanted me to call the FSDO and see if I could get the other inspector this afternoon to do my check ride. They go home at 3:00pm I think and I live 45 minutes away from the airport, plus preflight time, lunch, etc, etc and I had a headache and still in a bad mood about yesterday. Talk about a setup for failure. I just told him I would call the inspector I had been dealing with and schedule for Monday which I did, at 1000. Monday has a 30% chance of showers, so the weather could go either way.

The plane is scheduled for 2-3 flights this weekend, so I will wait and see if any other people have trouble with the radios. I will also start carrying my handheld radio again as a backup at least in this plane.

I can't believe my bad luck.

David

Good luck tomorrow. I'll talk to the Boss again for you.

Rich

WAAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Dude....
I've been watching you on the schedule for a month with reservation descriptions of "cfi checkride", "checkride alternate"
I'm thinking, how many times can this guy take a checkride?

I finally found this thread an it all makes sense.
I had some slight frustration getting mine scheduled but NOTHIng like this!

Glad to hear you finaly get it done!
Congratulations!

-Mark Fitzpatrick

Wow...congrats. It's been a long time coming. I cringed every time I read an update on this thread...finally a sigh of relief. :)

Back