CFI ride piece meal

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I started my CFI check ride on Friday, February 29th. I actually got the oral done in 3.5 hours but could not fly due to snow and low overcast skies. The examiner that did my oral could not do my flight for at least two weeks so I got another one. Since then I have rescheduled several times for weather until yesterday, when the forecast actually looked like it might allow me and the examiner to fly, but it turns out it was not to be. That was try #4. What it got me was a nice little pink slip.

Since it looked like we could fly yesterday, we went ahead and started the teaching of the preflight. All was well until I drained the fuel sump on the right wing of the Piper Arrow. It would not start dripping a slow drip for me. So I suggested we give it some time and come back to it. When I got done, I had forgotten about tit for some reason and the examiner reminded me about it which wasn't so good.

We went back to the sump and it was still dripping. I messed with it some more and still could not get it to quit dripping. I also temporarily forgot that he was playing a new private student. He asked me if we could fly or not. I kind of beat around the bush a little and said we could fly in the pattern but not away from the airport. He immediately told me that the check ride has to stop. I was dumbfounded and shocked.

Well, I got pink slipped for a judgement error I made during the preflight which may have caused a new student to think flying with a drippy fuel drain sump was ok. The examiner was making a point that I was setting a precedent for a person that has no idea and is looking up to me for the right thing to do and may think that this was ok to ignore. He was correct and he did have to fail me. This will not happen again. I write this so that anyone in the future will not make the same mistake I did.

The examiner wanted to try to get me done today so I got the needed retraining from my CFI and a new endorsement and new 8710 form. Both of us met at the airport yet again this morning. Well, I finished up the portion of the preflight briefing I still needed to do and got the airplane started. The fuel pressure gauge needle was pulsing up and down and changing by about 15-25 psi each time. I was pretty sure I had never seen this problem before. Not wanting to goof up again and make a bad judgement call, I decided we would taxi to the runup area and at least see if the problem would change or go away at all. We ran up the engine and the problem got worse with engine speed. We taxied back to he FBO and shut down. The needle slowed down and stopped as the engine driven pump did. The needle was showing every pump cycle instead of steady pressure.

So, I got my CFI to look at it and he said he had seen the problem once before lat November. It was a bad fuel pressure gauge. Needless to say, this ended today's check ride with another letter of discontinuance. At least it was not a pink slip and I made a good judgement decision. Unfortunately, this examiner will not be available again for 2 weeks so I had to get the first examiner again.

We will try it again Friday morning at 0930. There is a forecast for light showers for that day. Who knows if I will get to fly that day either. Doing this ride a piece at a tim sucks.

I am a little frustrated as you can imagine, but I will get this done. I am determined not to quit.

Thanks to Mark B and Greg B for their encouragement last night when I was down about the pink slip.

David

Last edited:
Wow. Any chance of getting a better airplane? Most of the operations I know reserve the "tip-top" airplane for CFI rides, since they tend to get a significant inspection, particularly when an inspector is giving the ride.

Wow. Any chance of getting a better airplane? Most of the operations I know reserve the "tip-top" airplane for CFI rides, since they tend to get a significant inspection, particularly when an inspector is giving the ride.

The only thing I could do is switch to the Warrior for the bulk of the stuff and go back to the Arrow for the takefof and landing portion which would be a pain in the butt I think.

We only have a Warrior, 172 and Arrow for single-engine stuff and a sick Twin Comanche for Multi.

I think I pretty much have to stick with the Arrow as there is not another around anywhere I know of I can use. This is actually the first mechanical problem I have had with the plane. It has been pretty well taken care of and I wouldn't mind owning it.

David

What makes you think it wasn't their tip top ship?

What makes you think it wasn't their tip top ship?

I am actually the first CFI candidate to ever use one of the club's planes. The actual first CFI candidate, last month, used his own Mooney for his ride. Other than that, the Arrow is used mainly for Comm stuff and I have been the primary user of it for the last two months.

David

Negative on that. Possibly temperature related.

David

Sometimes a bit of trash will get stuck under the gasket on the inside of the sump. If you push it up all the way and let a good bit of fuel run out, sometimes it will fix itself. OTOH, it could be the gasket itself cracked or, as you mentioned, shrunk due to cold weather. It should still mostly seat itself, though.

Last summer, I had to replace about a half-dozen of these in the cropdusters because we were pumping so much fuel through them from po-dunk airports that don't keep enough Jet-A running through their filters to keep them up to snuff. I'd usually pull one out, replace it with a 'new' one to prevent draining the entire tank, clean the 'old' one up and put it in a box to be recycled if possible.

It stinks that something so "insignificant" can ground your 'ride. :( Probably a good idea, though.

I am a little frustrated as you can imagine, but I will get this done. I am determined not to quit.
That's a great attitude to have David, learn from the past then move on. You'll get it done!

That's a great attitude to have David, learn from the past then move on. You'll get it done!
...but on the way, don't do the wrong thing. That did require a pink slip...(saying you could fly the pattern with a leaking drain..............) 'cause for heaven's sakes, man, the students are going to take your word as scripture.

chin up bud. sucks on the pink slip but the examiner was right and it seems like you know it, probably knew it, and will definitely move on from here with a better understanding of what it really means to be a CFI.

Things just got worse. My CFI called and told me that the part won't be installed in time for a 9:30AM go time. So, I called the examiner and he can't do it in the afternoon Friday. The next available opportunity I can get is Tuesday at 10:00AM.

The plane will be ready, but right now I feel pretty down about it. I just can't seem to win here. The weather forecast for Tuesday is rain all day.

This is getting financially painful being unemployed.

David

david - tuesday is like 5 days away. the best guess for a forecast that far out is simply that, a guess. i know its tough, but you ill learn once you are instructing full time that you just cant get worried about the weather until about an hour before departure. otherwise you will lose a lot of sleep and get a lot of headaches. weather is ahere and now type of thing, not a 5 day out type of thing.

that really sucks about the checkride continually being pushed back though. sometimes it seems like you cat win, and we've all been there for one thing or another.

David, Tony is right about the weather. The other thing I want to add is that having a career in aviation can be an exercise in learning patience and persistance. I know it is frustrating to you. We all have setbacks and we all wish at some point that we could have been granted a "do over". I know this is the case with you, but you will get through it. :yes:

David,

Good to hear from you again, glad to see you're still working towards that CFI.

But good grief, what an adventure.

Matt

David, there are many folks pulling for you. You have a good attitude, you will prevail.

Just think of all the stories you'll get to tell!

David, Tony is right about the weather. The other thing I want to add is that having a career in aviation can be an exercise in learning patience and persistance. I know it is frustrating to you. We all have setbacks and we all wish at some point that we could have been granted a "do over". I know this is the case with you, but you will get through it. :yes:
Dang, ain't that the truth!

I left my job the week before Thanksgiving to study for CFI full-time with the plan to take the ride the week before Christmas. I was even scheduled. Then, I got sick. Then, it was weather. Then, it was scheduling and airplane problems. Finally, I took the ride at the end of January and failed part of the oral. So, I studied for two weeks and brushed up on maneuvers. Along comes February 11th. I was convinced something was going to happen to interrupt for it. I was prepared for another delay!

Alas, the ride happen and I got my ticket. Then, it was looking for a job when the other school fell through on a promise. After a few days of paperwork and Part 141 standardization, I got my first students today.

I can't tell ya how neat it feels to be helping someone else to learn something that is also a huge passion of your own. Suddenly, you're using skills you weren't sure you had even after a good oral exam and checkride. Then, another truth sinks in. You're learning right along with them. Although I knew learning would never end, it's inspiring me to keep learning so I can be just that much more of a help to them.

Hang in there, David. It's gonna happen. Once you get past it and begin teaching, you'll realize it was all worth it. :yes:

Well, the weather man was correct about today's rain and storms. Had to cancel and reschedule. The earliest the examiner can get me in is a week from today. So I get to suffer through another week of stress and nothing to do.

I appreciate everyone's encouragement to keep going, but I am concerned this is never going to happen. The examiner apologized profusely about his schedule and promised we would get it done next week for sure, but the 10 day forecast doesn't look real good. He understands why I am frustrated about this. In the end, it just doesn't matter as no headway is made.

March 29th will be exactly one month from the day I did my oral.

David

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about another delay, Dave.

If there is somethign that I have learned in life (although it tends to be something that's easier to preach than practice), it's that good things come to those who wait. The ***** of it is waiting. Once it's done, though, it will be well worth it.

I would give examples that I have found in my life, however the best ones are not good discussion amongst polite company. ;)

You have 2 examiners you have flown with. Why can you not choose the other when the one is tied up?

In the meantime, get on down to the hanger and help make that plane as good as brand new.

Sorry to hear about another delay, Dave.

If there is somethign that I have learned in life (although it tends to be something that's easier to preach than practice), it's that good things come to those who wait. The ***** of it is waiting. Once it's done, though, it will be well worth it.

I would give examples that I have found in my life, however the best ones are not good discussion amongst polite company. ;)

I know you are right Ted. The longer this gets drug out, the worse off I am financially and the more stress I am under.

David

You have 2 examiners you have flown with. Why can you not choose the other when the one is tied up?

In the meantime, get on down to the hanger and help make that plane as good as brand new.

Richard,

I am back to the first examiner that did my oral and couldn't do my flight. The other guy is out of the state for another week. I am getting the only examiner I can get right now.

As for the plane, its done. I will probably go fly it once this weekend as a refresher. I have only flown about 3-4 hours since my oral, which concerns me also. I can't afford to fly much more. Driving 45 minutes each way to the airport will just drain more money, so I am not going to bother doing that. If it was closer, I would go there and hang out, but it isn't so I am basically vegetating in front of the computer and tv. If I get a part-time job like I really should, it will interfere with being available to take the darn checkride.

I can't win right now.

David

I know you are right Ted. The longer this gets drug out, the worse off I am financially and the more stress I am under.

That I understand... until you can actually start using your CFI you're under the burden of continuing to pay.

Hopefully this will all work itself out soon and you'll get to start CFIing! :)

If you have not yet, go get the AGI and IGI. You're fresh with knowledge and this week you are dead in the water -- a perfect opportunity.

If you have not yet, go get the AGI and IGI. You're fresh with knowledge and this week you are dead in the water -- a perfect opportunity.

ALready got the IGI done, but you are right it is a good time to do the AGI test.

I will call for an appointment to take the test tomorrow.

David

And so the misery continues....

My black cloud of back luck is still with me. My CFI said the fuel pressure gage gripe was fixed and he flew it Friday and it was fine. I decided I needed to get out of the house (after a week stuck inside) and get some practice in. I got to he airport, took my time preflighting and got in and started her up. I had good fuel pressure indicated all the way down to the runup area, then nothing.

The fuel pressure gauge quit working period. No indications at all with the mechanical and electrical fuel pumps. I was ****ed.

The weather is questionable for Tuesday morning's re-re-re-re-re-re checkride to. If the FSDO cant' get me in another time this week, I may have to try another FSDO. I am getting desperate after a month of this,

Maybe I was not meant to be a CFI, I just do not know any more.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant a little. it helps a bit.

David

David, ask for a letter to go to a DPE. If they can't get to you in a reasonable time and you're making every effort to provide an airworthy plane, a letter is a reasonable request. You'd probably get it a lot easier given the circumstances.

I think maybe you need to tell the FBO that if they can't get the fuel pressure gauge fixed soon, the FSDO is gonna start wondering about why their maintenance keeps cancelling your checkride dates.

David, ask for a letter to go to a DPE. If they can't get to you in a reasonable time and you're making every effort to provide an airworthy plane, a letter is a reasonable request. You'd probably get it a lot easier given the circumstances.

The FSDO is no longer the problem now, maintenance is.

David

I think maybe you need to tell the FBO that if they can't get the fuel pressure gauge fixed soon, the FSDO is gonna start wondering about why their maintenance keeps cancelling your checkride dates.

Ron,

The FSDO may get involved soon. My CFI took the plane to another airport and A&P he knows yesterday. The A&P was able to verify the fuel pressure gauge was bad for sure. So my CFI drove up the one the Ohio State Uni. FBO ordered. It became apparent that I had to cancel for today because of that and really high winds which did actually happen. Way too high for light airplanes.

Anyway, the maintenance issue has canceled my reschedule for tomorrow to. THis is where the FSDO may get involved finally.

Well, my CFI called me about an hour ago. It turns out that last November when the gauge was replaced by an FBO at Port Columbus (CMH), they put in the wrong part number of gauge and bracket. The bracket is toast. The FBO here at KOSU also ordered the wrong gauge last week. The correct parts are now on order by the new A&P.

My CFI thinks it may be done by Friday but I am going to reschedule for around Wednesday next week to give more time for this to be completely straightened out. The examiner does not know yet unless he checked his voice mail. The weather the rest of the week starting tomorrow evening is rainy to.

So, my bad luck continues.

Before any one suggests it, I can't get into another Arrow in the area and I can't handle financially getting checked out and relearning the maneuvers again in the 172RG that is nearby. Would take an unknown amount of flight hours. Money is getting scarce.

At least the plane will finally get fixed properly and then I will play the schedule game between the weather and the FSDO again.

Someday I WILL get my CFI, I just don't know when.

David

Last edited:
So now I am rescheduled for April 1st, next Tuesday, if the plane is ready by then, which it *should* be.

I hope no one else has this much trouble getting a check ride done.

David

Dave, are you sure the new date isn't some mean evil april fools joke?

:)

Pete

Dave, How much practice time do you think you would need in a 172RG?

Ray,

I honestly do not know. It is hard to say. Getting used to the sight picture from the right seat, getting used to the airplane itself and its controls, power settings, may be other little things I can't think of.

It would not pay for me to bother right now I think as the weather the rest of the week is crappy and the Arrow is supposed to be ready this Friday or Monday at the latest.

At this time, I would still rather stick with what I know already.

David

Dave, are you sure the new date isn't some mean evil april fools joke?

:)

Pete

I actually picked the date Pete. If one actually believes in that stuff, maybe April Fool's Day and my bad luck will cancel each other out. :)

Any way, it is the earliest I can get the examiner and hopefully the airplane together at one time.

David

Look on the bright side, the ticket will be good until April 30, 2010 now, just by waiting til April 1.

Back