CFI Renewal

lwsmithson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Capt. Buzz
Any CFIs out there ever used the ASF/Jeppesen online renewal. My expiration is coming up in the next couple of months and I was thinking of using it more for the convenience than anything. But, I'd like some info back from folks that have used it with both likes and dislikes.

Thanks.

I used the ASF/Jeppesen program and while the content was mostly OK, it was pretty slow on my dial-up connection. Unless I get high-speed at home, which is unlikely because of very limited availability, I'd like to try something that is more basic next time.

Everskyward- on Dial-up, Jepp would be excruciating.....sigh.

bbchien said:
on Dial-up, Jepp would be excruciating
Yeah, I'm usually a pretty patient person... but not THAT patient. Anyone have any suggestion for a program that would work better on a dial-up?

Thanks! I still have a few months to decide but the Gleim course looks more dial-up friendly than the Jeppesen product.

Good luck with the Gleim. I did 2 lessons today using the ASF/Jepp online course. Very informative and user friendly. Too bad you can't use it.

I've had other people tell me to use Gleim too, because it requires less speed. I also have the option of high speed at work but I don't necessarily like to hang out at work any more than necessary. :no:

I've been very happy with the Jepp renewal course. Hard to think of a less painful or more cost-effective way to get through the required 16 hours. In-person courses are nice, unless you have to add in travel and hotel costs.

If you're stuck with dial-up at home, consider going to a coffee place with free wireless and doing it there. It's doable with dial-up; just have something else you can do while you're waiting for each segment to load.

Jon

BruceAir said:
Gleim has an online CFI renewal. I haven't used it,

...but I have -- three times. In fact, I just finished my latest renewal yesterday. I'm very happy with the service, including (for an extra $25) taking care of all the paperwork so I don't have to slog up to the FSDO (2-hour drive or 45-minute flight each way). You can download as PDF files all the course materials and that makes a really great CFI reference book, too.

lwsmithson said:
Good luck with the Gleim. I did 2 lessons today using the ASF/Jepp online course. Very informative and user friendly. Too bad you can't use it.

When you get to the "activities" for the chapter on Special Use Airspace, be sure to have some fun with your answers. Interesting things happen... *someone* at ASF/Jepp has a sense of humor, that's for sure... ;)

I had to repeat those activities several times...I was having too much fun giving the wrong answers... LOL... It's not a chapter quiz, so you don't have to worry about a score.

Incidentally, I was quite pleased with the course and the quick responses I got via snail and e-mail.

Carolyn

Everskyward said:
Yeah, I'm usually a pretty patient person... but not THAT patient. Anyone have any suggestion for a program that would work better on a dial-up?

I've used the Jepp VIDEOS a few times to renew & think they're the best. They really work well in the horizontal position. One year I'll probably try Jepp on the computer box too.

Back