CFI renewal

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
For the inactive instructors - what is your preferred method to renew your CFI? I did the online GLEIM course last time round. Anybody have a comparison of them vs Jeppesen, American Flyers, or another popular one?

How much of a PITA is the TSA stuff? I'm not sure it's worth it to me to mess with the TSA just to instruct one student or two. Haven't taken their test yet either... And what about this recurrent training? If you were associated with a flight school I'm sure it would be easier, but how am I supposed to design my own recurrent training? Are there any third party vendors yet?

"TSA will not provide a recurrent security awareness training program. Thus, a flight school will be required either to design its own recurrent security awareness training program or use a program designed by a third party."

Last edited:
I've been very pleased with the ASF/Jeppeson online review course. I can't think of a more painless way to renew. It's nominally 16 hours, but you can get through it is less, but I'd be wary if you are stuck with dial-up internet service. There are 16 modules, each one takes an hour and includes a test. Once you have completed all 16, you print out a test report and send the paperwork to Jepp. A few weeks later you get a new CFI certificate in the mail, without having to set foot in FSDO. All that for about $120.

If you live in a place where the weekend ground schools are held, that is probably a more useful experience, as you can get the benefit of discussion, but if you need to include travel and hotel expense, I doubt that's worth it.

The TSA module was mind-numbingly simple. Just remember, the answer to everything is "Ask your supervisor." People had trouble printing the certificate at first; maybe they have solved that problem by now. Of course this certificate is sort of like the Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit. Yes, you're supposed to have one, but I can't envision the circumstances when someone would actually want to see it.

Jon

Speed said:
...but how am I supposed to design my own recurrent training? ... "TSA will not provide a recurrent security awareness training program. Thus, a flight school will be required either to design its own recurrent security awareness training program or use a program designed by a third party."

Only the TSA could create the requirements for this farce. As an independent contractor you are both a CFI and a flight school. As a flight school, you are required to create and provide to yourself (the CFI) recurrent training regarding security topics. The regulation specifically states that the recurrent training must be participatory (yes, you may not lecture to yourself--you must induce responses from yourself), and the package you create must include training on security issues particular to your school. The regulation further specifically states that the flight school specific training must be presented in an interactive manner which will probe your knowledge (yes, you must create questions which you believe will be a challenge for you to answer).

Remember, TSA can yank all your certificates if they deem you to be a "security risk". Anyone doubt that TSA will rush to that conclusion if you blow off a security training requirement?

4CornerFlyer said:
People had trouble printing the certificate at first; maybe they have solved that problem by now.

What problem? If you downloaded the TSA training you should look in the download files for "certificate.htm". Open this file with MS IExplorer, enter the appropriate date and your name, and print your course completion certificate.

Needless to say, I found the security training program a bit lacking in security.

But then again, it was a TSA product, so I didn't expect it to even border on competent.

Ed Guthrie said:
Only the TSA could create the requirements for this farce. Remember, TSA can yank all your certificates if they deem you to be a "security risk". Anyone doubt that TSA will rush to that conclusion if you blow off a security training requirement?
Thank goodness Jepp has stepped up to the plate. There ARE NO alternate "security awareness" vendors. January 20 will be here before you can blink an eye....

"And how shall I show compliance with this new regulation?" Heck they won't even call you back....

Back