CFI - Regular Instructor or Academy?

Sinnerman49

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sinnerman
Hey folks -

I'm finishing up my ratings, and the last thing I need to get done is the CFI or CFII.

Originally, my intentions were to goto American Flyers in Dallas TX, as I have a bunch of friends that went for their CFI course and said it was very comprehensive (classroom setting, etc.)

However, I also am thinking about going up to some family's house in Delaware and working on my CFI or II at Dover AFB Aeroclub.

Anyone have any opinions on a regular flight school (Aeroclub) vs an Academy setting like American Flyers in terms of quality or time?

I have about 1 to 1 1/2 months to get my CFI or II, and I have the writtens complete.

Thanks,
LS

The most important thing is the instructing experience of the person who trains you. When you got to an academy outfit, they may use their most experienced instructors, and that would be good. OTOH, you may get stuck with someone who just barely meets the 61.195(h) minimums, and that would not be good. At the Aero Club, you may be more likely to have someone with a lot of years of CFI experience. I'd contact the places where you're considering training and ask about the experience levels of the instructor with whom you'll be flying.

Agree with Ron. a month and a half should be plenty of time to finish it up, either way.

I agree with the previous two posts. American Flyers will get you the CFI and CFII in 30 days. Since you have some of the writtens done, they may cut you a deal on ground school.

Tailwinds,

Skyking:blueplane:

In my area if time is an issue I would recommend an Academy style. There are some very good Club/flight school places. However the usual issues I see with the Club/Flight Schools is lack of availability of complex aircraft and scheduling of an Examiner for the check ride can take some time. The Academy style will have these issues already worked out. The Club/Flight School may cost less but may be more difficult to get a firm number as to how much it will cost.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Back