CFI question

liddicjt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
liddicjt
Hello everybody

I apologize if this has been asked before or is a stupid question but do I NEED to be trained by a cfi in order to get my pilots license? The reason I ask is because I am a college student and paying for flight schools is no cheap ticket. My grandfather restored warbirds and because of that, I have become friends with alot of experienced pilots. Can I have one of them train me and prepare me for the written test or do I need the 40+ hours of seat time with a certified instructor?

Thank you for all the help
Jim

Hi Jim, no questions are stupid. You do have to work with a CFI for the flying (you have cheaper options on studying for the written). Google 14 CFR Part 61 and check out the aeronautical experience and knowledge experience for private pilot (or sport or recreational).

But there may be cheaper options than a flight school. Check around for clubs in your area on message boards (this one or aopa has regional boards). I'm in a club with a Cherokee 180 and it's much cheaper. We use the tachometer rather than a Hobbs meter, which saves money right there. At $30 per hour dry, it's much cheaper than renting from an FBO. There are lots of flying clubs out there looking for members. In my club, the president is a CFI - very experienced man like the guys you're describing. He flew with me quite a bit for free just because he likes to fly.

There are options, but you'll need to do some research.

Best!

Lisa

Jim, the CFI is the cheap part. It's the airplane that's expensive. There are lots of instructors around who charge $50/hour or less. That's about 1/3 what Roto Rooter will charge you for a weekend service call to unplug your sewer.

But to answer your question, there are self-study courses available for the knowledge test (it's not written anymore, it's on computer) but you'll need a certified flight instructor to train and sign you off for the practical test.

I'm not sure where you're getting the "40+ hours of seat time with a certified instructor" part. FAA minimums are 20 for the private, 15 for sport pilot, plus some solo work. 40 hours of dual time, however, could be required to actually be ready to pass the practical test.

You could informally pick up a lot about flying by ride-alongs, but it's not the same as formal instruction. You might find you'd have a lot to unlearn later in order to be ready for the test.

Hey Paul, you still doing ANN Daily podcasts? I haven't listened in awhile, but I do enjoy them.

Hello everybody

I apologize if this has been asked before or is a stupid question but do I NEED to be trained by a cfi in order to get my pilots license? The reason I ask is because I am a college student and paying for flight schools is no cheap ticket. My grandfather restored warbirds and because of that, I have become friends with alot of experienced pilots. Can I have one of them train me and prepare me for the written test or do I need the 40+ hours of seat time with a certified instructor?

Thank you for all the help
Jim

The "40 hours" is total time before you can take the PP Practical exam (assuming Part 61)

Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) section 61.109 requires at least 40 hours of flight time, including 20 hours of flight with an instructor and 10 hours of solo flight.

So you can get by with a mere 20 hours according to the law.

However, good luck finding a CFI who will sign you off unless you are competent to fly solo and pass the practical exam no matter what the "minimums" may be.

So where do I go from here after I get my medical examination completed? I'm in Eau Claire, WI.

FAA Website has every active CFI listed. Start there, or ask other pilots.....

So where do I go from here after I get my medical examination completed? I'm in Eau Claire, WI.
Since it doesn't appear you have an airplane available, you're going to have to take care of that, too, and not many individual CFI's have airplanes for you to fly. I would suggest checking the local airport for training operations, or the yellow pages under "flight schools," in order to find a place with both instructors and airplanes.

Eau Claire - Chippewa Valley Airport (ah, Chippewa...the Holy Grail of CDC software, but I digress, and reminisce...)

Start here:
http://www.heartlandaviation.com/instruction/index.html

There are 5 other airports within 50 miles, check them out, see what they have in flight schools or flying clubs.

Wasatch Flying Club
4530 Oakwood Hills Parkway
Eau Claire, WI 54701-7758

My grandfather restored warbirds and because of that, I have become friends with alot of experienced pilots. Can I have one of them train me and prepare me
...or you could ask one of your friends to point you to the nearest best source...

Back