CFI Pranks?

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
So, I was wandering through YouTube the other day, and ended up on a video about pranks CFIs pull on new students, especially the clueless ones. Stuff like demonstrating how to taxi as if it's just moving the yoke (while manipulating the rudder) and then having the student try and, of course, failing because they weren't using the rudder.

I can't think of one good reason that would even make stuff like that sorta funny.

Do real (non-Youtube) CFIs actually do stuff like this, and, if they do, why?

For starters, pulling tricks on new students goes against the law of primacy, not to mention erodes their self confidence. No one likes being the butt of the joke, especially from someone you don't even know yet. Just plain unprofessional.

That being said, with my more advanced students there are tricks, I wouldn't call them pranks, I may pull to see if you are paying attention.

I too would not normally support pranks. In some circumstances they might be effective if they are linked to learning objectives, but generally they aren't constructive. I have read some very funny stories about pilots who have pretended to be clueless new students and gone up flying with instructors, making various "mistakes" to terrify the instructor... I'm not a huge fan of those either but I'm at least willing to laugh.

So, I was wandering through YouTube the other day, and ended up on a video about pranks CFIs pull on new students, especially the clueless ones. Stuff like demonstrating how to taxi as if it's just moving the yoke (while manipulating the rudder) and then having the student try and, of course, failing because they weren't using the rudder.

I can't think of one good reason that would even make stuff like that sorta funny.

You have the youtube wannabe celebrities doing all sorts of idiotic crap in hopes of more clicks and subscribers.. Take them for what they are.

I have read some very funny stories about pilots who have pretended to be clueless new students and gone up flying with instructors, making various "mistakes" to terrify the instructor... I'm not a huge fan of those either but I'm at least willing to laugh.

I think it's the idea of giving students mis-information that seems so wrong to me. It's not like the pranking pilot's instructor is trying to learn anything, except maybe how to avoid pilots like that in the future! ;)

Tricks, I think, have their place. I tend to fly with my hand pretty much always on the throttle. It gave my CFI practice in thinking up innocuous-sounding things that would require me to move my hand so he could give me an unexpected engine out. My favorite was when he suggested I move the sun visor to keep the glare off my face and as soon as I moved, he goes, Gotcha! and pulls the throttle. And I thought he was just being nice. LOL

some people have a sense of humor, some people don't.

I think it's the idea of giving students mis-information that seems so wrong to me.....

not that I'm saying any CFI should be pranking students at all, but the joke about taxiing/steering with the yoke seems kinda funny, and to me would drive home (no pun intended) that you don't steer with the yoke on the ground. doesn't seem like 'mis-informations' to me at all. I could see arguments for and against doing it, and if I was a cfi I wouldn't be doing something like that, but big deal, really. doesn't seem worthy of a bunch of p!ssing and moaning (not that that's what the OP is doing, just saying...)

It wasn't a prank, but on my night cross country (following a route the CFI had suggested), I got to a point where I saw the lights I expected right in front of me, told FF I had the airport in sight, and switched to tower to announce my position and intent. I continued inbound for a bit, setting up for the pattern entry they gave me, but a few miles out I slowly realized something was wrong. Turned out, I was approaching a bridge, with length and width and lighting not unlike that of the runway I sought, though slightly mis-aligned with what should have been the runway heading. Once I realized my mistake, I quickly spotted the airport, just two or three miles further away.

I glanced over at my CFI, and saw him smiling. I suspect he'd been setting students up for that particular learning experience for many years.

I remember my first night cross country w/ my CFI years ago. On take off, he hadn't shut his door properly,"by accident," although he had assured me the door was latched and secure during my pre-takeoff check. I had NOT reached across him and verified it for myself, as I had no reason to doubt my CFI who had had no troubles latching the door in the previous 35 hours I'd flown with him. Once we had left the ground, at about 100' AGL, he informed me that his door was not closed properly and he couldn't get it latched. I flew the airplane, laughed at him, and once we were 500' AGL I leaned over and latched it for him. He was grinning ear to ear. I learned to never trust him... in the best way possible.

On the other side, as a student I had a one time instructor that I realized was just riding my ticket. After I realized that, about every couple minutes I would fake about to throw up, turning my head to the right and fake heaving.

He decided we needed to get back to the airport right away. And that was my first, and last, flight with that guy.

It amused me watching him try to get out of the way of what he thought was going to be an up-heaving experience....

I helped prank a CFI once. I'd finished flying and was standing near the flight school desk BSing with some other pilots. Over the radio we heard one of the CFIs have some momentary confusion and make a minor mistake talking with the tower at a nearby Class D, and I got an idea and suggested a bit of a gag....

So, when he got back to our airport and walked in, the guy working the desk said, "The Leesburg tower just called and asked who was flying tail number 123AB. They left a number for you to call."

After a momentary "Oh Sh|t" reaction, he hesitantly called the number on his cell phone. The number was actually another CFIs cell and he was hiding in another room. He started balling the guy out, and our victim was trying to make all kinds of apologies as the other instructor came walking up still talking on the cell. When our victim realized he'd been had, he almost collapsed from laughing so hard and being so relieved.

I talk trash all the time, even to myself. The CFI's at my school figured it out pretty quick after I started lessons and some would join in and talk **** to me on my performance. Others wouldn't, I felt like they didn't get my jaded sense of humor. No pranks or games, just friendly banter once they knew it didn't offend me.

Just to be clear, I do have a sense of humor. ;) Lots of good natured joshing, and I can take it as well as I can give it. Us short people are used to it! LOL
My CFI messed with me all the time, but never ever when demonstrating anything new or when I was landing/taking off.

I guess I was just a little bit put off with the idea of doing it to a truly clueless or brand new student. I already knew at my first lesson that you don't blow or suck on the pitot tube during preflight, that ground movement is with the rudder and that trim can make a big difference in aircraft attitude. If I didn't, and someone who I am trusting with my life and money just fools with me, whether on the ground or in the air, it isn't going to be a good first impression.

I did that with my 5 year old grand niece so she could think she was steering the plane on the ground. I let her control the yoke while I actually steer with the rudder.
But I can’t see a good reason to do it to a student unless you were already good friends.

Pranks with learning content, done in a collegial way are a good way to imprint a lesson with a student. Most of us have had the power pulled or shut off, or the door suddenly pop open (although we closed it;-)) A fun one that you don't have to be an instructor to do is; while the other person 'thinks' that they are flying, slowly start putting pressure on one of the rudder pedals, smoothly increasing it and watch them keep correcting until they figure out what's going on. LOL

It wasn't a prank, but on my night cross country (following a route the CFI had suggested), I got to a point where I saw the lights I expected right in front of me, told FF I had the airport in sight, and switched to tower to announce my position and intent. I continued inbound for a bit, setting up for the pattern entry they gave me, but a few miles out I slowly realized something was wrong. Turned out, I was approaching a bridge, with length and width and lighting not unlike that of the runway I sought, though slightly mis-aligned with what should have been the runway heading. Once I realized my mistake, I quickly spotted the airport, just two or three miles further away.

I glanced over at my CFI, and saw him smiling. I suspect he'd been setting students up for that particular learning experience for many years.
thats not a joke, thats a learning tool. to many instructors will fix a problem before the student even realizes they have a problem. bet youve never called the airport in sight without being 100 percent sure again.

Back